Author Topic: 2019/20 cover #50 (Coffee and TV)  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019/20 cover #50 (Coffee and TV)
« on: March 08, 2020, 09:26:49 am »
#50 is from Blur and the 13 album released in 1999. Coffee and TV was written and sung by the bands guitarist Graham Coxon and it has a very famous video with the animated milk cartoon. The original song has some real cool guitar fills and a kind of strange but cool solo but its not included here...

Struggled a bit with the bar chords they are not clean. But pretty tricky chords to play and sound good so I am happy to be able to play it through without to much difficulty. And the song is excellent bar chord practice for sure.

https://youtu.be/vfBQ0OaRtLo
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: 2019/20 cover #50 (Coffee and TV)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 09:58:46 am »
And the hits just keep on coming.

Good work sustaining all those barre chords through the song. When you can do that you know you have built up some good finger strength and stamina.

For songs such as this it would be great to see you play an electric with some subtle fx dialled in!

;)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 10:24:21 am »
Fine work, Johan.  Barre chords sounding so good, moving up and down the fret board, changing shapes and all that while remembering all those lyrics.  I think you should be happier than just happy :)

What a great repertoire you now have for that moment when you go live at an Open Mic  8)

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 12:14:31 pm »
Johan, I agree with David. You should be very happy with this. I'm a fan of your barre chord ability. Well done!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 12:41:35 am »
Yep Johan add me to your fan base. You've gained so much skill, strength and proficiency and built an excellent repertoire. I think you are more than well enough prepared for some open mics.

Vibes to you Johan.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 02:03:41 am »
Hi,
Liked your playing, chord progressions and more. Not sure about the vocals as in spots they seemed a bit disjointed. But all in all a fine effort. Wow your coming up on a years worth of covers! Nice work there and overall.

Keep rockin for sure!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Mikko1984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 01:00:10 pm »
Wow, 50 covers.. I can barely hit 10.  :D Nice work indeed! You have made some nice progress with your playing. Soon you will be at the stages if you keep practising this hard!  8)

-Mikko-

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 02:40:07 pm »
Wonderful work, Johan. Such commitment. Loved the barre chord work. I went and listened to the original with the milk video. So cool!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 08:32:54 pm »
Hey Johan not checked in on these in a while and wow your Barre chords seem very assured. Well done you should be very happy with this.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 02:20:46 pm »
Thanks Richard, David, hilts, Maggie, LBro, Mikko, Pam and Gareth. You all seem to think the bar cords works fine  :).  When I look at the video it looks easy, but it didn't feel easy when I played it.

Richard: Yeah would be cool to play this one on electric. I still wanna focus on the acoustic, but I starting to feel some GAS.

LBro: About the vocals I struggle with the transitions from verse to chorus and back, the chorus is sang an octave higher I think. Verses are sung by Coxon while the chorus the singer Damon Albarn sings together with Coxon.

Mikko: Yeah I will keep practising and hopefully some day I will be on stage.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 02:29:36 pm »
When I look at the video it looks easy, but it didn't feel easy when I played it.

Yeah I will keep practising and hopefully some day I will be on stage.

Kind of like the old swan gliding serenely across the lake while the legs kick furiously :)  I suspect that may be more true for more folk than one might realise, when watching these smooth polished performances.

So if you are now hoping to get on stage, what is your next step towards that dream?  My first step was to find that place where I could step up.  Second step was to visit, a reconnaissanc e mission.  Third step was to step up.

We are all with you, Johan ... you can do it.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 07:46:54 pm »
Thanks David, seems like your faith in me is higher than my own faith. You are probably right but I wanna feel a bit more confident in my playing before I hit the stage. Yes I am a coward :'(

I have realized that the day when playing feels real easy is never gonna come, and that all performers of course have doubts in themselves (otherwise they are probably mad). But still I wanna feel a little more ready. Its not too far away I think, I feel I have improved a lot during 2019, my goal is to do an open mic or some kind of performance late 2020.

I havent checked for opportunities, but as you say it would be good to do that. I'll start looking.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:06:05 pm by Loefgren »
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 12:08:09 pm »
Thanks David, seems like your faith in me is higher than my own faith. You are probably right but I wanna feel a bit more confident in my playing before I hit the stage. Yes I am a coward :'(

I have realized that the day when playing feels real easy is never gonna come, and that all performers of course have doubts in themselves (otherwise they are probably mad). But still I wanna feel a little more ready. Its not too far away I think, I feel I have improved a lot during 2019, my goal is to do an open mic or some kind of performance late 2020.

I havent checked for opportunities, but as you say it would be good to do that. I'll start looking.

Johan, there things I can't let slide. And you calling yourself a coward is one of them. From where I am sitting that just can't be true. A coward would not start trying to learn guitar...it is a challenging thing to do with lots of risk of not progressing. A true coward would not expose themselves to that risk of failure.

Then you have posted videos of your playing and have been doing so for as long as I can remember.  And what I remember myself is the anxiety and vulnerability I felt posting my efforts when I started. I expect you felt similar and yet you posted. Again evidence of courage not cowardice.

I think it is fair to say that most of us beginner and early stage intermediate players, as per Justin's programmes,  probably judge ourselves more critically than the  other folk here do. And maybe that is better than having an over inflated opinion, provided it doesn't hold us back.

You'll take that step when you're ready. And it will be scary, I think all of us who've taken that step ... Gareth, Bala, Maggie, me can attest to that ... but we all survived and went back for more. Find a place that feels friendly and supportive and you'll be fine and do fine.

Hope you find this encouraging, don't mean to lecture in any way.

Offline pikeamus

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 03:38:19 pm »
That was good fun Loefgren - I love the original and enjoyed your cover too. The chords were sounding out nicely. Your timing with the singing was a little different from the original, which threw me a bit because I know the original so well, but it doesn't really matter - you still kept good rhythm with your playing.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 09:54:31 pm »
I have realized that the day when playing feels real easy is never gonna come...
You wanted it to come easy? Well you're doing just fine, and easy is a relative term. I have nothing to offer regarding your playing or singing, you have your own path and it's working fine for you. Keep on keeping on and I'll see you later on the Youber tubez.   

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 11:33:20 am »
Nice job Johan and thought the barre chords were fine.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 07:54:04 am »
Johan, there things I can't let slide. And you calling yourself a coward is one of them.
You'll take that step when you're ready. And it will be scary, I think all of us who've taken that step ... Gareth, Bala, Maggie, me can attest to that ... but we all survived and went back for more. Find a place that feels friendly and supportive and you'll be fine and do fine.

Thanks David, I am gonna start looking for an opportunity to take my music out. I feel my playing has improved quite much lately, ít feels more solid then 6 months ago. And like you say, its not the end of the world if I screw up a bit, but I wanna have some confidence in my own playing and feel myself I can do it.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 08:05:05 am »
Thanks pikeamus, CT and Rossco!

pikeamus: Yeah the timing of the lyrics is pretty tricky in this one, need to work more on that if I want it to be close to the original.

CT: Yeah I want playing to feel easy  :)  I know its not gonna come easy, but I wanna get to the point where I can play these covers with relative ease.

Rossco: Nice to hear from you and glad you liked the barre work.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App