Author Topic: Sharps & Flats  (Read 2387 times)

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
Sharps & Flats
« on: March 07, 2020, 09:19:37 pm »
In view of the replies I’ve had I think I worded my post badly. So rewritten:
I understand the theory of scales and keys in music. I do not as yet understand why it will be useful to memorise the notes in various keys as it doesn’t take long to work them out when needed. I will be interested to learn how the memorising will help with playing guitar the way Justin teaches. I'm up to music theory 3 and there's a lot of stuff here that Im not sure how it will help. Mr Cato, key signatures and all!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 12:53:35 am by willsie01 »

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 188
Re: Sharps & Flats
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 09:46:17 pm »
You don't need to know music theory to play music.
You need music theory to understand music.

So if all you want to do is play some songs from tabs you get from the Internet or
song books you don't need theory.
If you want to expand your mind with how music works and way things are the way
they are then it's crucial.

Like the old saying goes Knowledge is power.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 11:13:24 pm »
I don't understand how learning the notes in all the sharp and flat keys is going to help us learn guitar the way Justin teaches. I'm up to music theory 3 and there's a lot of obscure stuff here that Im not sure how it will help. Mr Cato, key signatures and all!
You must have wanted the incomplete course. There's a lot of those for free on the Interwebz.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 05:52:44 am »
I think I understand where you are coming from, Willsie, having reached the same level of theory.

For me benefit of memorising would just be in speed and ease. If I was trying to compose a chord progression then I'd know the chords in every key and could play with different chords without having to reference what is the vi in F eg. And I know this ie from memory for keys C and G and so tend to play around with those keys when composing. And this is fine for me now, but in time I can see that knowing more would open up more.

I guess metaphorically it is like in the world of mathematics one starts with basic arithmetic and works up to basic calculus.  And that theory becomes valuable if you pursue theoretical physics. But as a student interested in software engineering I didn't see how learning it was valuable to me.

So I think maybe as one develops one technique and ability one's aspirations will grow and the theory will become more relevant and usable.

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 07:36:49 pm »

So I think maybe as one develops one technique and ability one's aspirations will grow and the theory will become more relevant and usable.

Makes sense.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 491
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 07:59:27 pm »
I understand the theory of scales and keys in music.

Excellent.
Does that include chord construction of triads from a Major scale by using stacked thirds, harmonising the major scale and familiarity with the circle of 5ths?

I do not as yet understand why it will be useful to memorise the notes in various keys as it doesn’t take long to work them out when needed.

Yes, don't do what you don't need.

... I'm up to music theory 3 and there's a lot of stuff here that I'm not sure how it will help. Mr Cato, key signatures and all!
Justin explicitly says that the Cato Trick is mainly aimed at students taking music exams who need quick / instant recall of the make up of each key.

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 03:29:23 pm »
willsie01
Justin must have read your post. He posted this video this morning.

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/why-study-music-theory-b1-709

Get The Forum As A Mobile App