Author Topic: GarageBand- Can I use it to slow down songs?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
GarageBand- Can I use it to slow down songs?
« on: March 07, 2020, 03:19:29 pm »
I recently got a new iPhone which has the GarageBand app. Can I import music to it and slow it down in order to help with transcribing?

At the moment I’m struggling to do anything with it. I can’t get past a page of drum kit equipment. Loads of videos on YouTube but they all assume you know how to open the thing up! Any suggestions?

Could I play a music streaming service (Spotify) through it and slow the tracks down?

As you can tell, I’m out of my depth here!
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM and Folk Fingerstyle (and a little Blues impro 😎).
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
    • YouTube
Re: GarageBand- Can I use it to slow down songs?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:31:16 pm »
I can't speak to Garageband on iOS, but you can slow down tracks with the desktop version. For slowdowns and speedups I usually use Riffstation for mp3s on the hard drive or settings on YouTube videos online. Editing audio on an iPhone should be considered a form of torture.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 03:51:23 pm »
Editing audio on an iPhone should be considered a form of torture.
Haha. I think you may be right. I’ve found a lesson by Justin but it’s all about keyboard shortcuts etc which you clearly can’t do with a phone! He waxes lyrical about what a great tool it is though.

Is the phone version purely a toy for making electronic music using the built in effects?
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM and Folk Fingerstyle (and a little Blues impro 😎).

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 142
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 04:31:27 pm »
Is the phone version purely a toy for making electronic music using the built in effects?

On a phone, pretty much.

There are some reasonably serious music tools out there for tablet computers and Garageband is supposed to be one of them (I've not used it myself, but I've seen a few video demonstrations), but I think it really needs a tablet to make it usable. I think on a phone it's a bit of a gimmick.

Even on a tablet, whilst you could use these tools as a DAW, in my opinion, you are both limiting yourself and making your life difficult by doing so: none of the tablet-based DAW apps are as capable or as straightforward to use as a proper PC-based DAW app.

Note I was careful with my words there... I didn't use the word "easy" because, nominally, a lot of tablet based apps in general (not just DAW apps) are "easier" to use in that they are more accessible to beginners, don't have such a big learning curve, etc. Part of that is due to the touch interface, part of it is down to these devices being "instant" to use, and you can easily use them anywhere. But, in  a lot of cases, a lot of that perceived "ease of use" is down to these apps having a load of the important capability removed.

That seems to be the case with tablet/phone DAW apps. Yes, you can use them for recording and editing and you can certainly use them to pull in pre-recorded loops and assemble them into a track, but the editing and navigation is going to be clunky, and in most cases the screen size and resolution will limit what you can do. More importantly, some of the more advanced functionality or useful navigation capabilities just won't be there due to limitations of the platform and user interface. The other thing to consider is that tablets and phones are often quite resource constrained in terms of CPU power, memory, and storage and a DAW is something that really need a lot of resources, so you will hit some limitations there.

For those reasons I would call a DAW app on a typical smartphone pretty much a toy, although it could be useful as a notepad for playing with ideas whilst on the move.

A DAW on a tablet it can be a useful tool, even though it is quite limited compared to the full PC version of the app. But it may be enough for you.

Note also that it's probably possible to transfer the Garageband files between desktop and tablet/phone apps to get the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 10:32:44 pm »
Thanks Keith, I appreciate you taking time to give me all that info.
Basically I just want something that will allow me to slow down songs for transcribing purposes. I’m looking at Audacity so might give that a go, although I get the impression that again it is only for use on a desktop pc.
I’m using a smart phone for this as my desktop pc is in a different room so not accessible whilst I’m playing guitar.

Gordon

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 142
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 11:17:56 pm »
A DAW seems like overkill for that. Try one of these:

https://freeappsforme.com/apps-to-slow-down-music/

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline GregB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 11:53:00 pm »
I have GarageBand on my iPhone and iPad not that I’ve used it. A quick look and it appears you can play a song and adjust the tempo to whatever you want. Just go into settings top right and adjust the tempo.

Not used it before so maybe I’m missing what your looking for and you’ve already found that.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 01:35:10 pm »
I think I may be on the wrong track with all this. I’ve had a look at the apps Majik suggested (thanks Keith). They all appear to need mp3 digital type files to be loaded before you can slow them down etc. On reflection, I can see the logic to this. I was hoping for a solution that could slow down streamed music from Spotify but this does not seem to be possible.
I’ll have to be content with play, pause, rewind, play, pause, rewind on the Spotify app. and transcribe solos/riffs that way.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App