Author Topic: Open Mic - Feb 2020  (Read 4255 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Open Mic - Feb 2020
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 04:21:06 pm »
look at all that sass on the stage!

You look and play confident, steady and with love.
This is what it's all about.

I've got the feeling there is even more fire in you!
As you play more, you will be able to put in more and more expression to emphasize the storytelling of the song.

Try recording yourself once while you deliberately "overdo" the expression in storytelling of the song. Watch yourself and you'll see it will rather come off as "extra entertaining" rather than "over the top".

Love to see you progress like that.
you're still going forward in big steps!

Thanks so much, Lieven ... you do always make such encouraging comments, appreciate your stopping by to take a look at my performance.

I am with you on the "overdo" approach.  I often give Toastmasters working on vocal variety and gestures the same feedback.  I guess as I become more and more comfortable and confident performing I'll be able to unleash that "fire" you feel may be there  ;D

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 05:37:50 pm »

I guess as I become more and more comfortable and confident performing I'll be able to unleash that "fire" you feel may be there  ;D

Yes!
Being able to perform the songs is the first step but turning them in captivating stories is something else!

Funny thing about stages is that you always have to add that little extra; just a bit more paint that you would if you tell your story to only one or 2 people.

But With you, I see it’s there!
Patience indeed, more and more performances.

I’m there as well; leaning how to move when I’m stage etc.
I’m not a dancer at all but I need to add the flair to embellish the act.

Keep at it. Confidence is key indeed!

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 05:51:05 am »
Thanks again for all the encouragement, Lieven.  It is a wonderful adventure and I am just so happy going along slow and steady. 

Hope when you get to the upcoming gig there'll be some video recorded that we can all enjoy it as much as the audience will.

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 01:39:32 pm »
Another awesome show. Great song set. Perfect for open-mic or coffee house performance. Your wife did a good job recording. I noticed when she zoomed in on your quick barre chord changes - on the third song, I think it was. I was watching that too.

You have such confidence, talked with the audience, talked about the music, about you own song...  So proud for you. Your guitar sounds great too.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2020, 05:26:04 pm »
Thanks very much, Pam, you're always so generous and encouraging,  really appreciate it.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 04:26:29 pm »
David, I started to watch this a few weeks ago, and remember now that I stopped during the first song because  the video being filmed in the wrong direction was too distracting for me. Sorry. I watched again just now with my eyes closed. Haha. Your performance is excellent, and I am about to tell you something that I think may blow your mind, but it's the truth. As I was listening, during Dear Johnny Blues, Dave just said you sound like Neil Young. I swear that's true.

Well, he also added "until your voice comes in". Haha. But he didn't mean that as a criticism, just meant your accent.

Sorry again I didn't post about this sooner. I know it's a silly thing to be distracted by. My apologies.

The strumming was solid and so was the singing. You added just the right amount of chat in between the songs. I thought you looked confident and relaxed. I didn't notice any mistakes. Really impressive!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2020, 08:32:32 am »
Thanks for coming back, Lynn. You are so encouraging and supportive.

Appreciate the compliment from Dave.  As you know in my dreams I can play like Neil, write like Neil and have my "unique" vocals accepted like Neil  8)

Sorry about the odd moment on the video ... it is a short interlude in the begging and the majority is all portrait.  Lesson learned, when filming with a phone always turn off "auto-rotate"

And due to current circumstances, will be a long hiatus before I can continue down this road.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:52 am »
Oops, I must've been confusing. I was trying to say videos should only be shot in landscape or it doesn't show up full screen. If you film in portrait, a good bit of the screen will be blacked out on the sides. The part when the screen briefly turns is the right way.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2020, 09:16:03 am »
Thanks Lynn.  Yeah, LBRo also suggested it is better to shoot landscape.  I will go for that next time, with auto-rotate off :)

Offline sherlock833

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2020, 09:16:49 pm »
New to the forum and having a nose. Looking at your open mics. You have really good taste in music!

How long have you been playing for? I'd love to play and sing but find it a real challenge
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 09:20:55 am by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2020, 06:29:06 am »
New to the forum and having a nose. Looking at your open mics. You have really good taste in music!

How long have you been playing for? I'd love to play and sing but find it a real challenge

Thanks so much, Alex, appreciate you checking out some of my old posts and commenting.

I guess "good taste in music" means we like the same bands, we like the same ... ooops, almost dived into another Springsteen tune  :o

I'm one of those who first dreamed of playing and picked up a guitar decades ago, but never got it together. Came to JustinGuitar Dec 16 2016 and haven't looked back.

Trying to play and sing, was part of my approach from the get go and remains a challenge, some songs I can and others it just doesn't work out. But of course the more I improve my playing, specifically needing to think less about playing, the more songs I find I can figure out the singing part.

Offline sherlock833

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2020, 07:01:15 pm »
Yeah guess that's true. Good music is timeless hey!

You can see you have definitely worked on your playing and singing. It's such a difficult thing to do well. That's my next goal I think!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2020, 06:06:05 pm »
Well Mr Preece I am sure that as an avid forum watcher you've seen a flurry of activity from here in Normandie this afternoon, so you could say I've left the best to last.

Now I do recall a while back of you stating an objective, several times I hasten add to being able to play and sing some songs that provide acceptable listening - so ok I didn't paraphrase what you have said several times.

But hey laddo ! you've made the grade. So it's late afternoon, been trawling through the unread threads and got to this and the Playroom post. Can't think why I missed this over the last, what 4 months, but hey its been one of those years.

So put tea in the four (French for oven) cracked a bottle (or two) of Grimbergen and sat back to watch the show. So you asked for critique ? Well here goes in reverse Eurovision syle

Ugly - well I'd have to say those said Victorian (more like neolithic) wall lights behind you.
Bad  - ok those light fitting were sh£te but they could have replaced the two blown bulbs for Christ sake.
Good - EVERYTHING ELSE. Simples.

What a great performance, given your time in the game. You played all the songs in your own style comfortably and confidently. You had folks singing along so that = audience engagement. And you got a friggin encore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And boy I liked that last song.

Well done David you have truly met your objective and following your progress your have gone from strength to strength.

Hey but don't rest on your laurels, next is your Playroom post, lets see if you have truly got you stuff together.

Seriously thanks you for an entertaining 15 minutes.

Onwards and upwards.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2020, 08:19:59 am »
Hey Toby, you've out down yourself on this comment and your comments are always a treat. What can I say, really do appreciate all the encouragement.

I did notice that you'd been binge watching Community recordings. As for "best to last", I'll take that as a figure of speech, given all the fabulous music being shared at the moment.

And did LMAO at your ugly and bad comments ...

Thanks again, for always stopping by to look & listen.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App