Author Topic: Open Mic - Feb 2020  (Read 4311 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Open Mic - Feb 2020
« on: February 28, 2020, 07:29:24 pm »
Hiya,

Last Thursday of the month is TJs Open Mic night.  It was an evening with a difference. 

First of all my wife and son came along for the first time.  They've never seen me play live.  Didn't seem to add any additional stress or pressure which is a good thing.

And for whatever reason, this evening had the fewest people in attendance of all.  In fact, everybody other than my wife and son were either part of organising and running the evening or a performer.

From a progress perspective it went a little better.  The mic and music stand positioning was OK, though I think maybe I should have moved the mic a little closer to my mouth.  I felt pretty relaxed throughout.  And in the end I think I made fewer mistakes than previous times.

Performed the following songs:

CCR's Bad Moon Rising
My own Dear Johnny Blues
Rodriguez's Hate Street Dialogue
Bruce Springsteen's Hungry Heart
Deep Purple's Wasted Sunsets

And later in the evening, due to the few people attending had the opportunity to go up a second time and did Dylan's The Times They Are A Changing.

The added bonus of my wife being present is that I have a video this time round.  Unfortunately the duration seemed longer than what YT was permitting me to upload, so in the end I choose to simply cut the last 30s.  I did that rather than edit the conversation between songs.  So apologies for the abrupt end.

I hope you enjoy it, though I know it is longer than the usual one song posting.

And as always woould appreciate comments ... as I always say ... comments on the the good, the bad and the ugly.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
Re: Open Mic - Feb 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 08:05:37 pm »
Congratulations David,

You seem very relaxed performing and have the patter down fine  :)
I'm sure that's a combination of repeated exposure and previous toastmaster experiences.

My favourites were the Rodriguez and Deep Purple.
Ha, it made me smile to hear you use the Haight St reference. (See, I did watch!)

Your missus did a good job of filming, my only quibble- Landscape > portrait  ;)

Well done again.

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 10:00:32 pm »
David. I’m in awe! You’ve been learning guitar for 3+years? and you can go on stage and do this! I really enjoyed your performance. You say there weren’t many in the audience but that’s got nothing to do with what you produced. Your wife and son must be very proud. Wives are easy, but I know how hard it is to get kids to think you’re cool! I’m now working on my grandkids.
Of course others with more skill/knowledge than me will critique more helpfully perhaps, but honestly, I thought it was great!
I’m going to turn my shirt collar up to see if it helps my playing (and coolness)😉.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 11:18:20 pm »
Very nice David! Congrats! I was wondering.. are you reading the lyrics cus I do that alot. I need to get a stand if i ever started playing out.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 02:58:41 am »
You 'da man -- with your Elvis collar and happy wanderer hat! Banging out the cowboy chords and pouring xx--xx in the jar, sweet vibes were rollin'. That was a great set. Dug it. I'm very happy for you.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 03:16:52 am »
That was awesome David! Loved everything about it. To me your best vocal performance till date. Lots of confidence, engaging the crowd well, great look and the guitar sounds solid. You're quite the performer now David! Keep it coming! :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 04:25:50 am »
You have evolved from being a nervous beginner to a smooth performer David. You have it all - good playing, nice vocal tones and a warm connection with the audience. Vibes to you friend.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 12:26:43 pm »
Yep, everything Maggie said for sure. I really believe the big stage isn’t far down the line for you David. This was just great seeing how relaxed you were and your engaging way with the audience. 

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 12:40:25 pm »
I ain't gonna crititique.
I'm just gonna say:

Good Golly Miss Molly.
Great Balls of Fire.
Somethin' Else.

Go you.
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Vibes galore.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 01:51:02 pm »
Thanks everybody for the wonderfully kind and complimentary feedback ... your encouragement and support is a big part of my progress.

Congratulations David,

You seem very relaxed performing and have the patter down fine  :)
I'm sure that's a combination of repeated exposure and previous toastmaster experiences.

My favourites were the Rodriguez and Deep Purple.
Ha, it made me smile to hear you use the Haight St reference. (See, I did watch!)

Your missus did a good job of filming, my only quibble- Landscape > portrait  ;)

Well done again.

:) See I did read your comment ...

The landscape moment was my fault.  So a top tip when handing over your phone for somebody to record ... make sure auto-rotate is turned off.

David. I’m in awe! You’ve been learning guitar for 3+years? and you can go on stage and do this! I really enjoyed your performance. You say there weren’t many in the audience but that’s got nothing to do with what you produced. Your wife and son must be very proud. Wives are easy, but I know how hard it is to get kids to think you’re cool! I’m now working on my grandkids.
Of course others with more skill/knowledge than me will critique more helpfully perhaps, but honestly, I thought it was great!
I’m going to turn my shirt collar up to see if it helps my playing (and coolness)😉.

Gordon, to give you the full story that I shared when I joined ... it is just over three years since I discovered and adopted Justin Guitar.  But I first strummed an Em 30+ years ago.  I was just on and off, never very successful.  So I wasn't starting off a zero base, for example I could play the E and A shape barre chords already.

As for my son thinking I am cool ... not sure if he'd use that adjective :)  But he does enjoy the music.

Very nice David! Congrats! I was wondering.. are you reading the lyrics cus I do that alot. I need to get a stand if i ever started playing out.

You got me Bytron ... I am reading the lyrics most of the time.  I tried a couple of times from memory and I find it adds some extra stress.  I need all the help I can get so prefer to sacrifice some of the spontaneity and audience connection through playing totally from memory for not having to stress if I will remember the lyrics.

What I still need to learn is how to read the lyrics in between lines and look up to deliver, rather than eyes down all the time.  Baby steps ...

You 'da man -- with your Elvis collar and happy wanderer hat! Banging out the cowboy chords and pouring xx--xx in the jar, sweet vibes were rollin'. That was a great set. Dug it. I'm very happy for you.

Yeah, never realised how high that collar stood until I saw it and then hoped maybe it would help me have a voice like Elvis Ha Ha.  Will keep on with this approach and aim to become a more sophisticated acoustic player over time ... more like Neil Young picking out melody lines while strumming ... I can dream :)

That was awesome David! Loved everything about it. To me your best vocal performance till date. Lots of confidence, engaging the crowd well, great look and the guitar sounds solid. You're quite the performer now David! Keep it coming! :)

No doubt Bala ... the live gig is a rush and kinda addictive ... as you know :)

You have evolved from being a nervous beginner to a smooth performer David. You have it all - good playing, nice vocal tones and a warm connection with the audience. Vibes to you friend.

It sure is a journey, Maggie ... one small step at a time ... and slowly we make progress

Yep, everything Maggie said for sure. I really believe the big stage isn’t far down the line for you David. This was just great seeing how relaxed you were and your engaging way with the audience. 

Well, we'll see ... still not sure how good I need to be.  I guess as long as I continue and keep improving I will get there, Dave.

I ain't gonna crititique.
I'm just gonna say:

Good Golly Miss Molly.
Great Balls of Fire.
Somethin' Else.

Go you.
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Vibes galore.

LOL ... what more can I say

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 02:03:09 pm »
Good set David you're looking more and more at ease everytime I see one if these. Still very jealous of the control you've got on the muted strum.

I didn't get on last month and now I'm nervous about the one coming up. It really is best to keep it up and gain that experience. It's obviously paying off for you.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 02:07:27 pm »
Good set David you're looking more and more at ease everytime I see one if these. Still very jealous of the control you've got on the muted strum.

I didn't get on last month and now I'm nervous about the one coming up. It really is best to keep it up and gain that experience. It's obviously paying off for you.

Thanks very much Gareth, appreciate the watch and encouragement.  I think the decision to use the song sheets rather than playing from memory helped me to relax, took one fear off the table.  And as you say, the more one does it the better it gets.  And I am sure you'll be fine at the next one, having watched you play many times.

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 02:08:43 pm »
What are you using to read cus i have that problem to on some songs. A Ipad?

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 02:11:49 pm »
What are you using to read cus i have that problem to on some songs. A Ipad?

Nothing so sophisticated, Bytron, just an A4 (letter I think in USA) sized folder with plastic sleeves holding print-outs of the song chart that I make myself.  My handwriting is terrible so I make them on the PC and print-out.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 08:47:17 pm »
That was a really enjoyable performance, David, you’re pulling it off like a professional. I enjoyed all of the songs for different reasons  but I’m glad I watched through to the end as WS was my favourite. I thought you did an incredible job conveying feeling in that one, very nice.

I heard a bit of background vocals on CCR, really liked that. And so although I didn’t jump in on another thread you had going about tech to use when playing live, I think you might enjoy a vocal harmonizer of some sort. They’re not too pricy, they’re easy to hook up and use (super easy actually, if I can do it), and backing vocals can sure add to a performance.

Finally - big thumbs up to Eddie! Who doesn’t love a little blues harp with their guitar? And Eddie sure finds the spaces to add something to.

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 10:38:53 pm »
Great confidence David, you really are enjoying yourself with it now and it’s easy to see that you are! Onwards and upwards!!!

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 12:06:33 am »
Nothing so sophisticated, Bytron, just an A4 (letter I think in USA) sized folder with plastic sleeves holding print-outs of the song chart that I make myself.  My handwriting is terrible so I make them on the PC and print-out.
Oh ok thanks David! Yeah i need to get me a stand haha. I have some songs memorized, but id rather read the lyrics while i play. Ty for your response! Good Job!!!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 05:54:04 am »
That was a really enjoyable performance, David, you’re pulling it off like a professional. I enjoyed all of the songs for different reasons  but I’m glad I watched through to the end as WS was my favourite. I thought you did an incredible job conveying feeling in that one, very nice.

I heard a bit of background vocals on CCR, really liked that. And so although I didn’t jump in on another thread you had going about tech to use when playing live, I think you might enjoy a vocal harmonizer of some sort. They’re not too pricy, they’re easy to hook up and use (super easy actually, if I can do it), and backing vocals can sure add to a performance.

Finally - big thumbs up to Eddie! Who doesn’t love a little blues harp with their guitar? And Eddie sure finds the spaces to add something to.

Mari

Thanks for listening and an encouraging range of comments, Mari.

Firstly Eddie ... isn't he great with the harmonica.  He often stands off to the side and softly, softly plays some.  But on the night he is willing to just come up and join in if asked.  In his own set he often uses the cradle and throws in the harmonica like Neil, Bob and Bruce.  Glad my wife swung over and included him in the video.

Love it when people sing along, I find it extra encouraging and makes me feel more like the real deal when they do.

I have been thinking about pedals for sure, Mari.  As a solo acoustic performer I also think it would add an extra touch.  Similarly, I thought the guitar sounded good in that session, actually better than the previous which I can attribute partially to the settings I dialed in on the simple EQ on my built-in pickup (rolled highs off, boosted the lows a little), maybe better strumming and probably how the soundman setup the channel on the night.  But have considered pedal(s) for the guitar as well.  I'd love to try out a TC Helicon Acoustic Player which combines both and would be great value for what you get plus really convenient, keeping it simple by dropping the need to have a chain power supply(s) etc. 

Great confidence David, you really are enjoying yourself with it now and it’s easy to see that you are! Onwards and upwards!!!

Thanks very much, Darrell ... a lesson from Toastmasters and life in general ... confidence comes from daring to do things that are challenging and even a little daunting.  And when you do that you first discover that it wasn't as bad for your health as what you thought it might be, that at an Open Mic people are rooting for you and encouraging (at least in my experience of one Open Mic) and when you steadily improve confidence comes.  So absolutely, ever onwards !!

Oh ok thanks David! Yeah i need to get me a stand haha. I have some songs memorized, but id rather read the lyrics while i play. Ty for your response! Good Job!!!

Yup the stand is a winner, Bytron ... get one, get set and get out there my friend cause you are more than good enough.  I feel for your challenges in terms of limited opportunities where you live.

Offline kontenda

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 07:28:18 am »
Well done David - excellent performance. As others have mentioned you get better and better with each show. You seem in your element in this one. You have a really nice audience as well.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 07:42:07 am »
Well done David - excellent performance. As others have mentioned you get better and better with each show. You seem in your element in this one. You have a really nice audience as well.

Thanks so much for watching and the encouragement, Paraic. 

I think for me, having the songs sheets made a big difference in allowing to be relaxed, not stressing about forgetting lyrics.  Given time I guess I may go back to memory to be able to connect more with the audience, but for now using the sheets works well for me. 

And yes, I am fortunate now to have encouragement from my wife at home, from the Community here and now people in the TJs Acoustic Music Club.  No doubt that makes a big contribution to learning.  I doubt I would have made the progress I have made if I was home alone with just Justin's videos for support.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 12:56:48 am »
Hey David,
Nicely done. Seemed relaxed and for the most part the chords ran out nice a true. You seemed to have advanced in your comfort zone. Guitar play to my ears is pretty solid. I think your hitting most of your notes on vocals. Strange that you have music sheets as I did not notice you looking at them much. I would rate this a good performance and that you pretty much nailed it. So good stuff all around.

I would tell the camera person to lay the camera on it's side the whole time and prevent the bars on both sides. Pretty good sound for a cell. I agree though that you could have eaten the mic a bit more. Not sure if that is a house mic, but if so, you might consider bringing yours. As you know it and probably know best how to address it.

Rockin good cheers!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 04:41:55 am »
Hey David,
Nicely done. Seemed relaxed and for the most part the chords ran out nice a true. You seemed to have advanced in your comfort zone. Guitar play to my ears is pretty solid. I think your hitting most of your notes on vocals. Strange that you have music sheets as I did not notice you looking at them much. I would rate this a good performance and that you pretty much nailed it. So good stuff all around.

I would tell the camera person to lay the camera on it's side the whole time and prevent the bars on both sides. Pretty good sound for a cell. I agree though that you could have eaten the mic a bit more. Not sure if that is a house mic, but if so, you might consider bringing yours. As you know it and probably know best how to address it.

Rockin good cheers!
LB

Thanks for taking a look and the encouraging feedback LBro.

It is an interesting comment about not appearing to be using the song sheets.  For all but Hate Street Dialogue I sure was.  Maybe that just doesn't come through on the video the same as in the room?

As for video, I shall take a look at how well landscape works for future.  I opted for portrait to get a good shot of the upper body but maybe landscape still delivers what I want without the side bars. 

As for the sound ... those oh so good ears of yours :)  I dumped the audio from the phone down into Reaper and cleaned out some signal noise, ran it through a HPF and then into CLAS Vocals for a little of the usual compression, reverb and delay.  And that to my ears improved the sound quality.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 09:21:36 am »
Congrats David and good vibes for this performance. Looking comfortable and sounding real good live. You are a inspiration for all of us on the forum.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 03:53:12 pm »
Congrats David and good vibes for this performance. Looking comfortable and sounding real good live. You are a inspiration for all of us on the forum.

Thanks very much, Johan, appreciate the encouragement and if some folk are encouraged to press on based on my journey then I shall be humbly delighted.  As Richard said, elsewhere, this is a pay-it-forward Community and I am all for it.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 09:45:05 pm »
look at all that sass on the stage!

You look and play confident, steady and with love.
This is what it's all about.

I've got the feeling there is even more fire in you!
As you play more, you will be able to put in more and more expression to emphasize the storytelling of the song.

Try recording yourself once while you deliberately "overdo" the expression in storytelling of the song. Watch yourself and you'll see it will rather come off as "extra entertaining" rather than "over the top".

Love to see you progress like that.
you're still going forward in big steps!
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Get The Forum As A Mobile App