Author Topic: 2019/20 cover #49 (Dead in The Water)  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019/20 cover #49 (Dead in The Water)
« on: February 26, 2020, 04:16:36 pm »
Back with #49, its a song from Noel Gallagher's solo project High Flying Birds. This was a pretty simple one with easy chords (the usual "Oasis chords") and strumming. But despite the easy chords and simple structure its a real powerful song. One of Noels best in this century I must say.

Recorded in one take so there is some mistakes where I lose the rhythm and strumming, but I think it sounds pretty good overall. When Noel plays this one live he uses a lot of dynamics, which gives the song its signature.  I haven't really captured that, need to work more with that.

Noel Gallagher plays it with a capo on 3rd but was to difficult to sing so I play without a capo.

https://youtu.be/HDJHSCwZcPE

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: 2019/20 cover #49 (Dead in The Water)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:07:54 pm »
I see you're keeping up the good work and the work ethic.
Good job.
Where would Noel Gallagher be without big G, Cadd9, Em7 and Dsus4 eh?
Moving the capo to where you want is its exact purpose for a vocalist looking to shift the key to suit their voice so you do right with that.
:)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 06:13:03 pm »
ps I have updated your big thread of all songs

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 12:45:07 pm »
Richard, thanks for feedback and updating the thread. Noel is a genius but often keep his songs dead simple, very often based on those 4 chords and a capo. Which is really good for us newbie guitarists who love his songs  :)

3 songs to go now, next one gonna be trickier, based on a Justin lesson with bar chords only.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 04:26:36 pm »
Richard, thanks for feedback and updating the thread. Noel is a genius but often keep his songs dead simple, very often based on those 4 chords and a capo. Which is really good for us newbie guitarists who love his songs  :)

3 songs to go now, next one gonna be trickier, based on a Justin lesson with bar chords only.
Genius? Will he be developing the cure for coronavirus this week? Until then I won't be THAT much of a fan. I kid, sorta.

Sounded good to me, man. You're plotting your course and sticking to it. Gotta hand that to you. What's the next step? Any desire to break toward a new direction? Playing to an audience? Jam with other players? Multitrack recording? 

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 06:41:54 pm »
Cover 49? How do you find the time?  :D

Simplicity is genius in itself for me.

Cool tune, well performed.

The big question - what will be track 52?

Digger

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 05:46:08 am »
Johan, three cheers for sticking to a regular habit of learning songs, making the video and sharing. 

I would wish that the power of this approach to learning and improving inspires many to adopt it.  And of course it can be applied to whatever your goals are...acoustic song playing, electric rhythm in a band, lead guitar (for the last two jamming over backing tracks would be a good approach, like the Guitar Challenges CT is re-energising).

Your progress is obvious to any who've taken the trip from #1 to #49 with you. 

Having been one of those who's watched and commented on each one, I find it hard to avoid repeating myself, so thinking hard about what else to say today ...

Firstly then, your ability to self-assess realistically and accurately is a strength ... at least on the strength of me agreeing with your self-assessment  ;D

I noticed the position of your ring and pinky throughout the song.  A solid-as-a-rock anchor as the index and middle fingers shifted through the various chord shapes.  Both fingers positioned to be as close to the fret-wire as possible.  I struggle with this when trying this form, so am inspired to work harder.

From a dynamics perspective, an option to consider could be the muting of just the low strings EAD, allowing the GBe strings to ring clear.  I have observed Bytron do this in a couple of the songs he posted recently and Justin suggested Tammy try this when finger-picking (mute the strings the thumb is hitting).   I have tried this and struggle.  But maybe the strumming action you have developed (which I drool over) would make it easier for you to develop this technique than mine does for me.

Look forward to the next one.  And I hope as you continue after #52 that you will not drop this habit, rather perhaps adjust the frequency as you explore further.

Good vibes  8)

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 10:55:58 am »
Good job Johan. It's safe to say, this is the first time I've heard this song. I'll have to check out Noel's version. But yeah, I like this. Nicely done!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 05:11:48 am »
I'm in awe of your consistency and commitment to your musical progress Johan. It sure has paid off. With just three songs to go, I'm following you to the end.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 08:17:32 am »
Thanks CT, digger, David, hilts and Maggie!

CT: About the next step after the cover project, well there is a lot of things I wanna do (go electric, more music theory, learn more about recording, melody playing etc.)  But the reason I started playing was to be able to play and sing covers of songs I love. So I am gonna continue with that. I plan to work more in depth with a few songs in aim to build a small repertoire. Playing live for an audience is a long term goal. Hopefully some day I can get the courage to do it...

David: Thanks for the dynamics advice, I also struggle with muting technique and it is an area I wanna work more with. I see it as a natural process to start working more with such techniques now when the basic strumming and chord changing technique is starting to get more solid. I will take a look at the Tammy lesson you mentioned.   
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Mikko1984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 06:59:41 pm »
This one almost made me cry! You really nailed it.  :'(

Good vibes!

-Mikko-

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 07:58:05 pm »
Thanks Mikko for listening to this. Its not very well played or sung, but its cool to hear it touched you, I must have done something right  :) it's a belter of a tune, up there with Noels best songs.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Mikko1984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 08:08:18 pm »
Thanks Mikko for listening to this. Its not very well played or sung, but its cool to hear it touched you, I must have done something right  :) it's a belter of a tune, up there with Noels best songs.

I think it was well played and sung. :)

-Mikko-
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:09:10 am by Mikko1984 »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App