Author Topic: First outing with my band  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
First outing with my band
« on: February 24, 2020, 06:13:37 am »
Hello all,

So I have finally decided to post this (however, I really didn't want to but I guess this will be a good advice/ education for folks who play live for the first time).

First of all my band, some of you may have known that I performed with one of my co-workers (a lead guitarist) and our mutual friend (the bassist) at the family day celebrations at work. The lead guitarist had already formed a band (the bandito dojo/ TBD) with the bassist, the bassist's wife (the drummer) and another mutual friend (singer/rhythm guitarist). They have been playing at this restaurant/ bar for a while now and this time they decided it was time for me to go live. The initial idea was that I have my own solo acoustic set during the band's break. But then the bassist wanted to help me out and play on a few songs. Then luckily, another friend (a drummer) wanted to join on a few songs that TBD played. But then it was decided that he was doing only one song. So, I got hungry to go electric and so requested if the other drummer will join me and he did! So I had my own band! (We were the shadow lurkers at the show)

This was our setlist:
1. Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams
2. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
3. Crazy little thing called love - Queen (I sang and played rhythm guitar with TBD)
4. Give the power - Molotov (A Mexican song that the bassist sang)
5. Zombie - the Cranberries
6. Sweet child o' mine - GNR x2 since it was encore (I played rhythm guitar with TBD)

As for the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_--r7IhUC0

The sad part is I only had parts of Summer of 69 and Hey Joe recorded by one of our friends. None of the other videos are available (part of the reason why I was debating if I should post). The sadder part is both these songs had technical difficulties - summer of 69 had problems with the mic and hey joe with the guitar. With Hey Joe, we sounded great during our rehearsals, except for the solo. The drummer is quite a hard hitter and I felt the solo was not being heard over it. So when it came to the actual show, I decided to crank up my amp to max, fuzz to max and adjust tone and volume with my guitar... only I cranked that up too at the last minute - bad bad bad decision. It became too distorted and the band tried to fix it while I was playing but ended up not being heard at all. I should've just adjusted my volume down. As for summer of 69, people thought it was a soundcheck and so the sound guys didn't help out -_-

Lesson learnt and tips for the community:
1. Trust the sound from the rehearsals, don't tweak at the show
2. Do a soundcheck before starting the show

However, all the other songs sounded extremely good and the audience absolutely loved our show (the irony of not having a video to listen to. I really want to listen to our Zombie performance in particular!). I was excited and was amazed that I could actually play lead guitar in front of people! Thanks to Justin and this wonderful community! In fact the show ended so well that the MC wants my band to be the opening act for TBD on a regular! (My band's new name is 5 o'clock shadow!)

Whew! Lots of talk there!
Would appreciate comments and tips for this show and all the upcoming shows. We have also decided to try out other places in the future and are practicing every week. I will try to keep the power trio for now however, I have had some guys from a band that just disbanded ask me if I wanted to jam. We are talking about writing originals but are just a cover band for now!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: First outing with my band
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 07:16:15 am »
Haven't watched/ listened yet but I just want to dive in and say 'Well done' Bala. That is an amazing step. Many vibes to you.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 07:26:29 am »
Some first quick thoughts -
Well done once again - there were technical issues and you carried on regardless. Not a small thing.
There were children running in and out of the stage area where the amps / cables etc were. OMG. You carried on regardless - well done. But I'm amazed that the main band / venue didn't arrange the kit / furniture and prevent this from happening. Young children should not be free to roam where the cables are.
The drummer sure is a hard hitter. Wow. Too much for that venue.
You carried it all off though and looked like you belong.
So happy for you.
:)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 07:37:16 am »
Haven't watched/ listened yet but I just want to dive in and say 'Well done' Bala. That is an amazing step. Many vibes to you.

Thank you Close! Certainly a big step in my journey. :)

Some first quick thoughts -
Well done once again - there were technical issues and you carried on regardless. Not a small thing.
There were children running in and out of the stage area where the amps / cables etc were. OMG. You carried on regardless - well done. But I'm amazed that the main band / venue didn't arrange the kit / furniture and prevent this from happening. Young children should not be free to roam where the cables are.
The drummer sure is a hard hitter. Wow. Too much for that venue.
You carried it all off though and looked like you belong.
So happy for you.
:)

Haha you noticed the kids as well. Yea the venue is a very challenging one. It’s pretty much just a restaurant and bar inside and outside is just a patio (which is the stage) with some space for people to sit. Most of the audience were standing so it’s very small space and the stage is not separated. But it’s a start for us. Hopefully we will find a bigger place that would let us play. We have a couple in mind that we wanna try at. But as for me, the open mics and the family day even had similar environment so I just decided to keep going without any problems :) now I just have to work on the sound especially to beat the drums 😁

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 09:05:22 pm »
Hey Bala, congratulations .... for many things ... for being a band member, for getting an invite for a return gig, for coping with tech and human issues, for performing like a pro regardless of the challenges. What a great progression for you.

Sound check, absolutely and in plenty of time before the show so you feel familiar and prepared. During that time make sure of security arrangements for both you and the audience.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 03:41:09 am »
It's so dang awesome to be in a band! All the cool kids are in a band. Sound is almost always an issue at a noisy venue, with a random dude at the mixer and then it all gets captured by a low fidelity cell phone with a mic the size of a fly spec. What are you gonna do? You had to be there, right? The main thing is that you got a hearty swig of that intoxicating wine, APPLAUSE! You had fun and they loved it, man. That's what really matters. At one of my little gigs there were police sirens going off and what smelled like a tire fire right outside -- and then there was the time when guitar one was feeding back like a banshee and I was left to play guitar two but as guitar one. It's all part of the steps that lead to better gigs at better venues, with better mixes. Onward and upward! 

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 03:41:54 am »
Hey Bala, congratulations .... for many things ... for being a band member, for getting an invite for a return gig, for coping with tech and human issues, for performing like a pro regardless of the challenges. What a great progression for you.

Sound check, absolutely and in plenty of time before the show so you feel familiar and prepared. During that time make sure of security arrangements for both you and the audience.

Thank you Maggie! Things have been happening so fast that it all does feel like a dream! Just hope I don’t wake up now! Haha

Very good point about “sound check in plenty of time before the show”. We went to the venue just 1 hour before the show started and the other band did do a sound check and I pretty much just opened the show without one as people were already there and it took ages to setup the mic. For the next gig we plan on being at the venue to practice at least 3-5 hours before and also setup everything beforehand. We are also investing in better sound equipment and rehearsal space. I really can’t wait for the next show honestly and I want to record it all! 😊

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 03:47:45 am »
It's so dang awesome to be in a band! All the cool kids are in a band. Sound is almost always an issue at a noisy venue, with a random dude at the mixer and then it all gets captured by a low fidelity cell phone with a mic the size of a fly spec. What are you gonna do? You had to be there, right? The main thing is that you got a hearty swig of that intoxicating wine, APPLAUSE! You had fun and they loved it, man. That's what really matters. At one of my little gigs there were police sirens going off and what smelled like a tire fire right outside -- and then there was the time when guitar one was feeding back like a banshee and I was left to play guitar two but as guitar one. It's all part of the steps that lead to better gigs at better venues, with better mixes. Onward and upward!

Very wise words CT! We are certainly looking to improve the sound on our side for sure! Any tips on how to record live sound? And I did have lots of fun! It was the most incredible feeling ever to be playing with a band! And someday I want to be playing my originals too and drown myself in all that fun!

Wow! Now that you mention it that could happen to us! Our venue is outdoors and pretty close to the police station as well! And feedback killed us during the mic setups. So I can only imagine the agony that you would’ve felt! To the better venues and the better gigs! 🤘🏾

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 10:43:07 am »
Bravo and Three Cheers ... they you are ... living the dream ... fronting a rocking power trio.  Just fabulous and I am delighted for you Balah.

I don't know too much about this sort of thing.  What I can share is that I recently discovered that a guy I knew at work from a distance is a life long guitar player.  His current band is a similar power trio.  Well, we went to see him perform at a restaurant.  Also a small stage and a small room.  OMG, the drummer was giving it stick but no problem hearing the bass, guitar and vocals.  And the net result ... it was deafening.  Certainly forget about talking while they are playing.  Now I understand why people talk about needing the BK100 for a live gig with a live drummer on real (non electronic) drums...those drums when getitng into the energy of a live performance are just so loud  :o  I had no idea how loud, since most of the pub/restaurant gigs I used to go to were using drums via backing tracks that could be mixed down.

So I guess next time round you'll just turn it all up to levels where the guitar, bass and vocals are sitting in balance with the drums.  And then the phone may just fry up and die trying to record it ... what did OH used to say ... hitting red lava exploding levels :)

But really, as CT said ... you are there and performing ... rock on !!

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 11:09:09 am »
Hey Bala,
Helluva way to introduce your band!  8)
As mentioned above, I'm sure the sound levels were much better live than the phone recording, although I was disappointed not to hear your guitar singing.
Most importantly of all, you seemed relaxed and to be enjoying yourself. You've got a good stage presence and it was good to see you getting into the performance.
Vibes man

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 01:41:03 pm »
Bravo and Three Cheers ... they you are ... living the dream ... fronting a rocking power trio.  Just fabulous and I am delighted for you Balah.

I don't know too much about this sort of thing.  What I can share is that I recently discovered that a guy I knew at work from a distance is a life long guitar player.  His current band is a similar power trio.  Well, we went to see him perform at a restaurant.  Also a small stage and a small room.  OMG, the drummer was giving it stick but no problem hearing the bass, guitar and vocals.  And the net result ... it was deafening.  Certainly forget about talking while they are playing.  Now I understand why people talk about needing the BK100 for a live gig with a live drummer on real (non electronic) drums...those drums when getitng into the energy of a live performance are just so loud  :o  I had no idea how loud, since most of the pub/restaurant gigs I used to go to were using drums via backing tracks that could be mixed down.

So I guess next time round you'll just turn it all up to levels where the guitar, bass and vocals are sitting in balance with the drums.  And then the phone may just fry up and die trying to record it ... what did OH used to say ... hitting red lava exploding levels :)

But really, as CT said ... you are there and performing ... rock on !!

Thank you for the kind words as always David! Being in a power trio means that I have to play lead guitar as well to spice it up and as much as I’m enjoying the challenge it’s intimidating!

Most of the rehearsals we had left us deaf too. Imagine a band inside a living room!! Although during practice I had a very clean tone for hey joe and the rhythm sounded amazing. That’s the reason we kept the song because the drummer joined late and the first time we jammed hey joe together it was fantastic already! But the problem was I couldn’t hear the solo at all even during practice. I thought more fuzz would fix it but nope! Although I only recently saw CTs advice on boosting the mids to rock the solos! I’m currently working on that (can’t tell until we practice in two weeks). Also the lead guitarist from TBD had asked me to explore my amp more instead of relying on pedals since my amp by itself has the sound! Then again gas kicked in and I invested on a fuzz face recently so want to try that out! I’m hoping to let her rip in the next show for sure! 😊

Hey Bala,
Helluva way to introduce your band!  8)
As mentioned above, I'm sure the sound levels were much better live than the phone recording, although I was disappointed not to hear your guitar singing.
Most importantly of all, you seemed relaxed and to be enjoying yourself. You've got a good stage presence and it was good to see you getting into the performance.
Vibes man

Hey Brian! Thanks for the comments. I did go around to get some live reaction from the audience. They honestly thought summer of 69 was a sound check and nothing more. They said hey joe was sounding awesome in the beginning until the guitar cut out but they still enjoyed it. Zombie received the most praise and we ourselves thought that was the best of the night. Sadly no video. A large part of the audience were Hispanic so the Mexican song received amazing reactions too! So we have decided to keep these three songs for the next gig and groom them. Some more songs will be added. I’m sure you’ll hear the guitar sing next time! 😊 and I don’t know about stage presence but I was having fun! And we get free drinks and food for our gigs instead of a paycheck so we had quite a lot of drinks before the show and the audience were buying us drinks as well! That probably cut out all my nerves! Haha

Get The Forum As A Mobile App