Author Topic: New recording setup help please  (Read 1481 times)

Offline clembo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
New recording setup help please
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:28:33 pm »
Hi. I have just purchased an 'Audiant ID4' audio interface and a shure SM57 mic. I have installed Bandlab as my DAW on my laptop running windows 10.
So, I have plugged everything in and I can here my guitar through my headphones which are also plugged into the audio interface (so that all works). I have selected 'mic' as the channel on the bandlad screen but when I play the guitar the only sound recorded on bandlab is the sound picked up through the laptop mic and not the shure sm57 mic :-\. I am new to this home recording thing, am I missing something here. Anyone else use bandlab?
keep on keeping on

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
    • YouTube
Re: New recording setup help please
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 04:45:57 am »
I don't use that DAW. Does anything come up with a Google search? It might be as simple as telling windows which recording and listening devices to use.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 05:54:13 am »
Agree with CT's suggestion ... check the audio playback & mic Settings in Windows. 

Also check the DAW documentation for anything it may say about drivers.  You may also need to configure some settings in the DAW preferences.  Like CT I don't know Bandlab so can't be more specific.

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 05:42:29 pm »
Usually you have to port the drivers for your interface so the daw knows where to collect the audio from.  Never used that daw but it's relatively straight forward.

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline clembo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 08:42:38 pm »
Thank you all very much. You were spot on. It was a driver issue.. Operator error.... All up and running now.
keep on keeping on

Offline sdd56

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 10:29:31 pm »
Glad you got it sorted. Just a suggestion - before you get too far in, it might be worth having a look at Reaper instead of Bandlab? It's more widely used so you may find it easier to get support, either here or on Youtube.

It's free to try (unlimited time) and not expensive to buy.

Edit to add - it's also quite light on PC resources, and fairly intuitive to use.
Started BC Sept 2016.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7, Freshman FA1AN, Taylor GS Mini
Electric: Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline 8livesleft

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 07:01:03 am »
Been a Cakewalk/sonar user for years so I'm used to the interface. I have reaper too and like how light it is.

But like I said, I'm used to sonar, now bandlab. So, that's what I'm using. It's heavy but full featured. Gets the job done.

One issue I have with reaper is the drum volume on final mixdown. It comes out really low for some reason. I don't have that issue with bandlab.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App