Author Topic: Left handed beginner  (Read 288 times)

Offline Unbelievajoe

• Good Vibes 0
Left handed beginner
« on: February 13, 2020, 05:56:56 pm »
Hello all,

Starting from the beginning and wanted to look into an electric guitar. I kept reading about the Yamaha Pac112V over and over, but I just learned it is not available left handed. Would anyone mind suggesting a left handed alternative? Thanks for your help.

Offline GregB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Left handed beginner
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 06:10:03 pm »
You could get the Pacifica 112J

https://www.andertons.co.uk/yamaha-pacifica-112j-yellow-natural-left-handed-pacif112jlyns?gclid=CjwKCAiAhJTyBRAvEiwAln2qB-J-HTHYHqFINf4aGJJ77dccxRXjzMI6CCD5MNjLn39mT5W8lv2YkBoCsb8QAvD_BwE

Copied from a website :-

The difference between the Pacifica 112J and the Pacifica 112V is the use of the Alnico-V pickups.  They are a higher-quality piece of installed equipment. Aesthetically, there’s also a slight difference in the size of the pick guard.  As well as the use of plastic knobs (112J) over the classier metallic (112V).

Offline Unbelievajoe

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:44:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that.

Offline Andreas Fischer

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Andreas Fischer - private Website
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 10:25:09 pm »
i recomend a right handed guitar
you need both hands anyway (same much)
and that way you find much more guitars and tabs are the right way, ....
Andreas Fischer
21. Oct. 2012: Just got a Fender Squier Affinity Strat after 25 Years not playing Guitar. It is my first E-Guitar.
Update; Now i have more than a Dozen Guitars

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 182
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 11:10:28 pm »

My wife would totally disagree with you and she's left handed.
Some lefties can learn right but most can't and just get frustated and quit.
So if you're left handed learn left handed and don't let right handed people
tell you other wise.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 11:37:13 pm »

OP, you see this sort of 'advice' from people all the time, ignore and do what works for you. I would not be playing if I listened to everyone who told me the same.

Just because LH guitars are harder to get does not make it logical to go against what feels right for you. There are still choices from Fender, Gibson and the noted acoustic makers should you want a good quality guitar later.

Both hands do very different things. Even being lefthanded, my fingers could not be forced to form chords. My RH was a natural for fretting, as was my left for rhythm. Some leftys can adapt to RH playing, some can't. If it feels wrong for you, don't do it.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:44:32 am by Drubbing »

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 11:40:50 pm »

If you're right-handed, play a lefty guitar then. Because logic would dictate...

Yeah.

+1 what Stitch and Drubbing said
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline skinnyT

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 07:40:57 pm »
The Pacifica gets good reviews and people like them on this forum. I am left handed and have looked around and you can get left handed ones, check out gumtree and ebay. You should be able to pick a used 112 up for £75 if you are patient.

As for playing left/right handed do whatever feels good for you. Playing right handed feels totally wrong for me. Do not be influenced by anyone who says playing right handed is the only correct way to do it.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 01:06:00 am »
I know these are exceptions to any rules, but check the link. They didn't listen to anyone and just did what felt right.

https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/10-Legendary-Left-Handed-Guitarists

The one thing that is glaringly wrong in this article is saying how 'hard' it is to find LH guitars - that you'll probably have to have a custom one made. Absolute rubbish.

All the major brands have leftys in their range, you jsut have to phone around stores and find people who stock them if you want new. When I wanted to upgrade from a cheap Tele, I just ordered a LH Mex Fender at my local store. Used can often be easier to find.

Offline Andreas Fischer

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Andreas Fischer - private Website
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 05:16:30 am »
Do not be influenced by anyone who says playing right handed is the only correct way to do it.

I say: Do not be influenced by anyone who says playing left handed is the only correct way to do it.
[/quote]
do what you want but think first
Andreas Fischer
21. Oct. 2012: Just got a Fender Squier Affinity Strat after 25 Years not playing Guitar. It is my first E-Guitar.
Update; Now i have more than a Dozen Guitars

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 06:27:47 am »
I say: Do not be influenced by anyone who says playing left handed is the only correct way to do it.

do what you want but think first

That's what were getting him to do. But we have an opinion based on experience you don't have, and we'd prefer lefthanders to hear that, rather than bad advice from all other sides, that doesn't seem to think handedness matters. It absolutely does.

Saying 'just play RH' so he has a choice of guitars is pointless if he can't learn to play them properly. He's going to get guitar stores telling him the same thing, with an ulterior motive - to sell a guitar because the only one they have in stock might not be in his budget.

It starts with what's right for him. If it's left hand, then you deal with the choices that come with that and keep going. I've had 7-8 guitars since I started, so they ain't that hard to find.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App