Author Topic: Left handed beginner  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Unbelievajoe

• Good Vibes 0
Left handed beginner
« on: February 13, 2020, 05:56:56 pm »
Hello all,

Starting from the beginning and wanted to look into an electric guitar. I kept reading about the Yamaha Pac112V over and over, but I just learned it is not available left handed. Would anyone mind suggesting a left handed alternative? Thanks for your help.

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 11
Re: Left handed beginner
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 06:10:03 pm »
You could get the Pacifica 112J

https://www.andertons.co.uk/yamaha-pacifica-112j-yellow-natural-left-handed-pacif112jlyns?gclid=CjwKCAiAhJTyBRAvEiwAln2qB-J-HTHYHqFINf4aGJJ77dccxRXjzMI6CCD5MNjLn39mT5W8lv2YkBoCsb8QAvD_BwE

Copied from a website :-

The difference between the Pacifica 112J and the Pacifica 112V is the use of the Alnico-V pickups.  They are a higher-quality piece of installed equipment. Aesthetically, there’s also a slight difference in the size of the pick guard.  As well as the use of plastic knobs (112J) over the classier metallic (112V).
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline Unbelievajoe

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:44:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that.

Offline Andreas Fischer

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Andreas Fischer - private Website
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 10:25:09 pm »
i recomend a right handed guitar
you need both hands anyway (same much)
and that way you find much more guitars and tabs are the right way, ....
Andreas Fischer
21. Oct. 2012: Just got a Fender Squier Affinity Strat after 25 Years not playing Guitar. It is my first E-Guitar.
Update; Now i have more than a Dozen Guitars

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 233
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 11:10:28 pm »

My wife would totally disagree with you and she's left handed.
Some lefties can learn right but most can't and just get frustated and quit.
So if you're left handed learn left handed and don't let right handed people
tell you other wise.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 11:37:13 pm »

OP, you see this sort of 'advice' from people all the time, ignore and do what works for you. I would not be playing if I listened to everyone who told me the same.

Just because LH guitars are harder to get does not make it logical to go against what feels right for you. There are still choices from Fender, Gibson and the noted acoustic makers should you want a good quality guitar later.

Both hands do very different things. Even being lefthanded, my fingers could not be forced to form chords. My RH was a natural for fretting, as was my left for rhythm. Some leftys can adapt to RH playing, some can't. If it feels wrong for you, don't do it.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:44:32 am by Drubbing »

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 11:40:50 pm »

If you're right-handed, play a lefty guitar then. Because logic would dictate...

Yeah.

+1 what Stitch and Drubbing said
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline skinnyT

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 07:40:57 pm »
The Pacifica gets good reviews and people like them on this forum. I am left handed and have looked around and you can get left handed ones, check out gumtree and ebay. You should be able to pick a used 112 up for £75 if you are patient.

As for playing left/right handed do whatever feels good for you. Playing right handed feels totally wrong for me. Do not be influenced by anyone who says playing right handed is the only correct way to do it.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 01:06:00 am »
I know these are exceptions to any rules, but check the link. They didn't listen to anyone and just did what felt right.

https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/10-Legendary-Left-Handed-Guitarists

The one thing that is glaringly wrong in this article is saying how 'hard' it is to find LH guitars - that you'll probably have to have a custom one made. Absolute rubbish.

All the major brands have leftys in their range, you jsut have to phone around stores and find people who stock them if you want new. When I wanted to upgrade from a cheap Tele, I just ordered a LH Mex Fender at my local store. Used can often be easier to find.

Offline Andreas Fischer

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Andreas Fischer - private Website
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 05:16:30 am »
Do not be influenced by anyone who says playing right handed is the only correct way to do it.

I say: Do not be influenced by anyone who says playing left handed is the only correct way to do it.
[/quote]
do what you want but think first
Andreas Fischer
21. Oct. 2012: Just got a Fender Squier Affinity Strat after 25 Years not playing Guitar. It is my first E-Guitar.
Update; Now i have more than a Dozen Guitars

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 06:27:47 am »
I say: Do not be influenced by anyone who says playing left handed is the only correct way to do it.

do what you want but think first

That's what were getting him to do. But we have an opinion based on experience you don't have, and we'd prefer lefthanders to hear that, rather than bad advice from all other sides, that doesn't seem to think handedness matters. It absolutely does.

Saying 'just play RH' so he has a choice of guitars is pointless if he can't learn to play them properly. He's going to get guitar stores telling him the same thing, with an ulterior motive - to sell a guitar because the only one they have in stock might not be in his budget.

It starts with what's right for him. If it's left hand, then you deal with the choices that come with that and keep going. I've had 7-8 guitars since I started, so they ain't that hard to find.

Offline badbadleroybrown

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 11:30:42 pm »
Did you find a left handed guitar?  I am left handed and had no problem finding a left handed guitar, in fact I found a used left handed Fender Strat MIM used at a good price from Guitar Center, and bought a new acoustic from Musiciansfriend.  For me it is easier to learn and play on a left handed guitar than trying to use a right handed guitar.  I hope that you keep going with it.

Offline loopylass

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 07:06:24 pm »
Hello all,

Starting from the beginning and wanted to look into an electric guitar. I kept reading about the Yamaha Pac112V over and over, but I just learned it is not available left handed. Would anyone mind suggesting a left handed alternative? Thanks for your help.

Hi, I'm just starting too and I'm a leftie - I found a used LH Fender Stratocaster MIM on Pre-Loved.  I absolutely love it and would recommend.

Offline Dale

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 03:36:10 am »
Hello,

Regarding left-handed guitar choices ...

I would highly recommend Fender Squier Classic Vibe 60.

Offline bymbie

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 05:32:20 pm »
I'm a beginner and got a LH Fender Squire Class Vibe 50's Tele. Super happy with the guitar.

Offline NigelWadsworth

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 09:31:37 am »
Brand new 53 year old lefty here.
There wasn't much choice in anything other than sunburst brown so I blew the budget and got a gorgeous MIM Strat Player in Tidepool.  Love it, it wants me to pick it up.
I have no advice for you, sorry, just get what feels right and enjoy.  I am already hooked!
NigelW

Offline StevetheBard

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 03:26:01 pm »
I'm a lefty in Perth, Western Australia and I know all the feels trying to find the right lefty model for me. Honestly, I'd recommend going into your local music/guitar store, telling them you're a newbie looking for your first electric and, if you can, play every model in stock.

There's no point buying anything fancy, or buying a guitar just because it's a recommended one.

As a beginner, what I'd say to look for when trying them out:
- Comfort
- Is it easy to play? Fretting, etc
- Practice tuning it, playing pretty aggressively (just do a crazy bend on one of the strings) and check the tune again
- Comfort (yes, again)

Something a lot of people don't look for, which I've noticed specifically on a couple of Pacificas... run your fingers up and down the side of the fretboard - a lot of cheaper guitars often have cheaper quality control methods and sometimes the frets haven't been filed properly, which means any extended use is going to see you constantly nicking your fingers on sharp(ish) metal frets!

It also all depends on what kind of music you want to play! But here's a my humble opinion on the most popular choices:

Yamaha Pacifica 112J - Humbucker / Single / Single pickups are great for versatility, alder body and rosewood neck will provide a brighter / cleaner sound. Medium frets mean it's a bit tougher on your fingers as you'll have to press harder. Comes with a whammy bar which can be fun but also can present tuning problems!

Jackson JS22L Great if you're into metal. Two humbuckers mean you can pump more gain through it without the hum, jumbo frets mean it's a bit easier to play faster (you don't have to press as hard) and you might find bending a bit easier - but you might find you'll sound a bit sloppier due to that - Basswood body and maple neck means you'll probably get a slightly beefier sound but is fairly rounded. Comes with a whammy, presenting the same problems.

Ibanez GRG170DXL Primarily hard rock/metal guitars but pretty versatile. Has a humbucker/single/humbucker so offers similar versatility to the Pacifica, but heavier body (Mahogany) and maple neck mean you'll get a beefier sound than the Jackson, but versatility to play most genres. Jumbo frets like the Jackson as well, whammy bar fun and problems!

Squier Affinity Strat A step up from the Bullet range, which I wouldn't recommend at all. The Classic Vibe and Contemporary series are a step up again, but I would assume a bit out of your price range. The Strat is a classic Single/Single/Single pickup setup with an Alder body and a maple neck (just like a real one!) so you'll be pretty close to that classic Strat sound.

Again, the thing I can recommend most confidently is just to play every guitar you can and find the one that feels right for you! Tone is in the hands; a good guitarist can make a cheap guitar sound expensive and vice versa for an average guitarist like me haha

Offline SandrineW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 07:25:17 am »
I am also left-handed and learn right handed. I went to the local shop and tried left and right handed guitars and felt more comfortable with a right hand guitar. I could not control my fretting fingers at. Do what feels right for you.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:28:43 am by SandrineW »

Offline bobuva

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 10:57:56 pm »
Throwing my 2 cents in -- I'm left-handed, bought a Washburn acoustic many years ago, but didn't put the time in to learn to play. To get going again, I just went for a Fender Squire and it has been just fine for learning. I expect that if I get good enough, I'll just upgrade to a nice guitar that sounds and feels right when the time comes.

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 03:12:20 pm »
I've just bought my first guitar & am now ready to roll!
I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112J - black with white pick guard. I'm a left-hander & yeah, choice of colours was 2 - the black or natural finish. I would have preferred the metallic blue or red but it's no problem. I just need to get started.
The other option I looked at was the Squier Affinity Strat-type. The one in the shop seemed OK & wasn't much difference to my untrained ears sound wise. The finish on the neck was much smoother on the Yamaha particularly where the fret wires meet the edge of the fretboard. I checked a load of reviews on Youtube etc., & also taking into account many comments on here, the Yamaha seemed to be the one to get of the 2. The Squier could be a good buy but the quality from all accounts can be very hit or miss. I didn't want to chance getting a dud one & all the mucking around exchanging or getting a better setup.
So...off I go! :)
Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Offline SandrineW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 07:02:48 pm »
Good luck on journey, hope you enjoy it!

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 09:35:57 pm »
I've just bought my first guitar & am now ready to roll!
So...off I go! :)
Well done Tony. Glad you made your decision. Stick in with Justin’s Beginner Course and you’ll get there. Good luck!
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2020, 08:04:57 pm »
Thanks Sandrine & Sairfingers...now I can develop some 'sairfingers' of my own!! :)
All the best to you too.

Still getting to grips tuning - might start using the piano as the readings on the cheap clip-on tuner keeps jumping all over the place. Mind you, I think my strumming technique is a lot to blame. The strings keep twanging off of the fretboard which causes all sorts of buzzy noises! Practice, practice, eh!! :) Might be a question for another thread though...

Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Get The Forum As A Mobile App