Author Topic: Twilight Storm's Road Case  (Read 20230 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
Re: Twilight Storm's Road Case
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2020, 04:18:46 am »
I tend to be confused a long time then suddenly I learn one thing that connects everything and I feel like Neo saying "I know kung fu." when theory junk clicks.

Oh yeah Becky, I hear you. I did the same thing this morning. Been plodding along with a midi bass track for 8 weeks, just couldn't get it right. Opened the file today and ta da, I could hear what was wrong and more importantly what I needed to change. Now to get the drums right.

close2u (Richard) is a treasure house of knowledge and generosity. We are so very fortunate to have him moderating this forum. 
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2020, 07:56:04 am »
Good vibes foor you Becky  8)

I love reading your RC posts ... being an inside observer of your journey, your discoveries, your ups and downs and the wonderful way you tell your story.

It's inspirational and helps keep my motor running when I might be working my way up the hill to the next tipping point.

Look forward to hearing Last Dawn when you reach the point that you are ready to share ...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2020, 08:08:48 am »
Becky you’re a gem! Good vibes from me too - I really enjoy your turn of phrase and your ability to make it interesting!
It’s great to see that you’re finding out things for yourself, I think that’s one of the most important things to be able to do; having been a Research and Development engineer most of my working life it’s always been easy for me but it’s hard work for anyone who hasn’t yet acquired that skill - stick at it, you’re doing good!!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2020, 10:32:51 am »
Keep these updates coming in your unique and inimitable style Becky. :)

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2020, 06:26:38 am »
04-07-2020 (Exciting for me, not so much for others probably, but thanks guys 💖)

I was practicing Last Dawn on the electric, my strength gives out in my fretting arm pretty quickly. I messed with Amplitude, Rev plate, and a few other effects I had kicking around in the DAW earlier and got an interesting tone.

I love that the body vibration sound the electric has, is picked up on the DAW. Think it's an Ash body? I'm not really up on loving the stupid noise floor I got going on, even plugged in... Seriously why?

One of the effects had a gate button that said "learn" I pushed it, and it attempted to remove the noise. Did a really decent job, so:

I have to look at noise gates, what they do, and how to use one properly. (And what plugins I have that includes them so I have a choice on other junk they will add. I don't have an amp.)

I don't really know the shapes so I can't say I KNOW the scale, but close2U's scale diagram actually did click the cog a notch. I actually knew I was in the different places on the neck based around the root finally. Can't say I know the patterns well, Still going off sounds because memorizing this stuff isn't my strength. Worked off the pattern picture from memory. Which wasn't close to perfect, added in a lot of bad notes lol. Made some good progress "talking" in phrases during this. Was messing with intervals here too.

Spent an hour or 2 today messing with voice leading and drone strings while exploring double stops on the GL-1.

Actually was able to identify some of the intervals by name as I was playing which is a bit huge. Probably a glitch, but felt huge.

"Transcribed" The thing I was playing. I named the, motif? I guess? "Hunting in the North" lol. It sounds like music that might play in a snowy forrest hunting area in a fantasy game lol. I was really getting into it though 😊. Transcribed is a loose term too, btw. It's just tabs so I wouldn't forget it... no other markings... But it's written down, and not terribly complicated.

I don't quite have G down instantly. I do have it down enough to locate it fairly quickly now. Need another exercise I can add to "Find the note G" Need a good way to work it.

Think I finally figured out the walkdown to the St Elsewhere Theme on uke! No one would help me, but think I finally figured out the stupid note I can't hear properly, that the walkdown starts on!💖 Since I have been messing with the 4 in a row phrasing I was ready for it, and it resolved to the right place in the melody! 👍👍👍👍👍  Need to test it against the song still. Taking a break, but got to write that all down. (At least that one dumb note, if nothing else.)

Was pretty productive today even though I neglected "proper" practice. Was more of a fun explore what I've learned kind of day. It's kind of neat that stuff is soaking in more. Takes patience lol.

Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2020, 11:15:09 am »
Fabulous update Becky ... loads of positive achievements.

I'd love to hear "Hunting in the North".  I did something similar (at least I think so based on your description). I called it "Voices of Vincent Blue Beast".  And if that makes you curious, go check it out in AVOYP ... I wrote a novella about it as well as posting the video :)

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2020, 07:27:42 pm »
Not showing I replied to David.. Maybe I didn't send it? Sorry David.

Wrote a 2 page pdf on what happened to me. Decided to just say:

I cut/scratched my eye,. I poked the same eye pretty badly. I developed a bad infection which was traveling down to my arm finally from the sinus thing. (Can't go to the doctor or hospital thanks to our super duper president taking away the cruddy healthcare I used to have. Can't get reinstated now.) Self medicated on 3 leftover ciprofloxacin from 2015 prescribed to my mom before she passed away. And I hope my immune system might be able to fight the rest of it off now.

Because I was in so much pain and couldn't hear, I didn't even pick up an instrument for however long that lasted. (At least 5 days I think)

Noodled around today with St. Elsewhere on uke, stumbled over starting to figure out the Godfather Theme on electric guitar, which actually kind-of legitimately IS a one note wonder melody being violin. sounds pretty amazing on electric. Can definitely put lots of feel in it. Found out Slash did the tune too (but with his style and a solo), so it's not obscure. Probably will work on it some more. Kind of sad it seems to be a giant internet meme though, it's a pretty song.

Hopefully will get back to a more regular practice schedule but still pretty blah feeling at the moment.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2020, 07:19:40 am »
Sorry to hear of the injury and health struggles, Becky

Look forward to hearing your rendition of the Godfather Theme.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2020, 02:07:01 am »
04-17-2020 (guitar progress!)

Saw Justin had released The "Steady Thumb Blues" to the unwashed masses the other day. Jumped on that immediately.

Other than it being a tease for the course, (dang you Justin!) it's SO FUN to play! Also it's pretty much EXACTLY where I am learning-wise. Got to learn the bridge bar technique. 👍 Also thought my thumb independence was good until it started to get syncopated with the stuff in the last half of bar 4. I didn't stumble on that long though, it was just awkward while I got used to doing it. (Thank you for including the tabs Justin! 💖 Makes a huge difference. Definitely wouldn't be able to get back on the reservation with this song, without them lol.)

After learning the first 2 bars I shot off and was improvising stuff with the bass thing going yesterday. The melody lines for Come Together- Beatles,... and an old Lita Ford song I forgot the name to atm, fit in nicely with it to go even further off the reservation, before grabbing the open E + G, in the written song to get back to the 12 bar thing again.

I have to to work on Steady Thumb Blues as written more. I definitely am going to record this one. As a "Thank You" for the great lesson and the tabs. It will be interesting to hear what it sounds like plugged into my computer. It sounds nice on the electric guitar unplugged. Thinking I will keep the tone pretty clean. I am definitely going to try the rev-plate again for the tube. Their tube sounds so good. I don't have much to compare it to, but rev-plate definitely has a great sounding tube, to my ears at least.

Need to learn how to put the effects on my tracks in a way that leaves me with clean guitar tracks, or at least 1 of the 2 clean. Found a setting from a youtube video that might let me finally do this. I was chaining the tracks together wrong. There's a "only to this track" option that doesn't throw the track to the linked track and the master.

Made progress with noise cleanup. Found a video on where to find how to deal with noise in the wrapper. Having a hell of a time selecting a noise sample, I haven't got the slightest clue how to get a reasonably small sized selection in the wrapper.

Going to definitely move to my next "Find the Note." I have successfully done "G" now.

I know it's been forever on 1 stinking note.... Well, 12 G notes on guitar, actually. I can go to them quickly enough, if I can flip on my intelligence switch while playing, I can ID being on a G. Because of that, I can sort-of reference stuff that sounds okay around the area.  I think that's good enough to move on finally. As long as I refresh, I won't loose it.

Instead of "A", being next, might do B&C. Someone commented on Brandon Acker's latest tips video which dealt with learning the fretboard like this. The guy started on the two note pairs that don't have a sharp or flat between, and it helped him reference the fretboard for the rest of the notes easier. Makes sense, do the odd ones out first. Why not. Needed G, for uke arrangements between guitalele and uke, as well as for the high g notes if something is written in high g. Did G on guitar because I was doing it on everything else. After "B" & "C," fitting in "A" shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, i'm missing my calluses that popped off from the washing + sanitizer. Sigh, they were my "playing-stamina armor." I can't play for as long as I want anymore without them. Bruised my pointer finger and made my other fingertips a bit sore finding that bit out. Bummer. The sanitizer is helping make new ones I think, by the instant skin drying action it has. It also has a residue that scrapes off on the strings. Looks icky. It's making me get in the habit of wiping down with microfiber more after I play at least, lol. Something I should do anyway.

The strings I got, say they're stainless steel... They seem to be oxidizing a bit. Had black marks on my fingers after playing yesterday... Thought stainless steel (being the key words here!) wouldn't oxidize. I still like the strings, it's just strange. Theyre the orange DAddario half round regular light set. (Which isn't too light imo) Ordered them through a division of Sweetwater on Amazon, so I trust they aren't knockoff strings.

Found out I can palm mute kind-of... but I can't reach the first 3 frets if I do. Can barely fret on 4 but it's pushing it. Still not worth the pain involved. i still won't be chugging any power chords anytime soon, but at least I can eventually try now if I capo. Would love to see how I can reach on a shorter scale electric someday.

Found a few more free interval trainers to test myself with online, Just incase they used different notes and I was somehow memorizing Justins. Don't think I am memorizing the pairs from my results between trainers. I still have a hard time with the flat 6th. My brain gets muddy if I try to do the trainers too long too. I still can't ID the flat 3rd by anything other than "If I like the sound, It's a flat 3rd." That doesn't seem fool-proof, but so far has been working okay. I need to actually play the intervals like he suggests. Still unsure I'd play them right, which is making me not do it as an exercise. Need to see if I can find a tab picture somewhere in the vast internet stew, especially for the B string stuff. I can, and do, change the "song" references so "singing" "when the saints go marching in" for a 3rd, works equally well for flat 3rd, and 4th. (You see my delema) Especially after hearing the intervals in a trainer for a little while. Might be "good" I can do that, I have no idea. It annoys the crud out of me at the moment. It would be nice to be able to use the song references.

Going to work on the Steady Thumb Blues more tonight. Hopefully I can stay focused this time and get the song as written down lol. If not, i'll enjoy improvising, but really want to get it as written.

-----
David ty. It's getting better. Whole situation was me, having a streak of being very accident prone with a big dose of bad luck. Feeling a lot better. Eye is getting better looking too.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2020, 07:20:09 am »
Thanks for another inspiring update, Becky.

Though makes me feel a little envious in hearing how much progress you made on Steady Thumb Blues so quickly.  I started yesterday and I reckon it will take plenty prat=ctice for me to get even the first two bars sounding OK.  But worth it as I aspire to play this style of music.

And good vibes to you for your helpful post to Tarryn over on her RC.

Lastly, from where I sit I'm yet to see you commit murder of any song.  Sure, one or two rough edges but I think you are (like so many of us) your harshest critic.  All I've heard would go down fine in the AVOYP area.

Take care

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2020, 09:39:43 am »
I remember that bridge-bar ... whooee ... it took a little fiddling around with to get it sounding clean.

Check this thread ... https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=23706.0

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2020, 04:16:53 am »

You're too hard on yourself.  I thought it sounded really good.  I find it so much harder having to pick out individual notes vs. strumming chords.  Full chords are so much more forgiving so to that I say hats off to you and this performance.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:32:52 am by close2u »
1983 Sigma DM12-5, 12 String Accoustic
2017 Gretsch Streamliner G2420/ABB Hollowbody
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2020, 07:06:58 pm »
I plan on recording Steady Thumb Blues so I have been plugging in to the computer to practice.

- Thumb needs work. Need to practice with a metronome. (God I hate the beeping!!)

-Need to dig in more with thumb somehow to get the bass stronger. --Test standing up for adjustability of guitar angle to have my fingers at a better angle to strings to get a less scratchy sound.

-"Drive" in context, was apparently THE word I needed to explain dynamics....

-Need to work on "drive". I get it now... The electric guitar actually pointed this out the first day I plugged it into the computer. I just had no clue what I was looking for. Since the electric uses a different touch,? I have no idea what it's called... then an acoustic instrument. It plays differently. I need to build my own guitar sound on electric first because it has "no sound", then learn to use that "voice" which technically shouldn't be hard because it's however I decide to be "singing" at the time.. It's all not what i'm used to, using acoustics. Since I have very few options right now with VST's I need to look into a basic clean and a basic distortion sound that I can open easily in a project and have as default if I can save profiles. Back on topic, yes I can see there's no "excitement" which comes from volume swells from agressive playing. Aggressive playing are keywords for me... Investigating plucking on electric.. Need to record myself and listen back to see if I can do something, or if something else triggers. Can't move my arm around. I can knock a bit if i'm careful, but no wall-of-sound swell-into-the-chorus strumming can happen.

-I EQ -ed out most of the noise prior to recording on both channels. Works as a fast bandaid but unhappy the noise is in the range where there needs to be a little "openness". Instead it's squished sounding dealing with noise. Still haven't successfully removed the remaining noise inside the wrapper yet after the recording. It's "supposedly" easy. Hasn't happened yet. Be nice to be able to remove it all without the eq in pre.

Need to spend some time with the study on 3rds close2u did asap. Shooting for that after doing a "where im at" recording with Steady Thumb Blues. Today or tomorrow. It's raining.

-I'm not trusting myself in the bridge bar section. I slow down. I get the fingering in time (most of the time) Then I pause... I also need mild work on bar 8. Flubbing fingers there 1/2 the time. (The mistakes sound fine. Just wrong fingers) Added in embellishment. Triplets on second and first half of end walkdown. Microbends/blues curls. Slides into notes elsewhere. Triplet is only hard one (for me) to add. Missing the entire STRING a lot. Making it sound exciting needs work. Messed with other endings. Having a lot of fun messing with solo-ish bits still.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2020, 04:25:06 am »
The "voice" you are referring to is what people usually call "tone". I would suggest that, for Steady Thumb Blues and similar, you might want to investigate a "crunch tone" which is normally obtained by using overdrive. This can vary from a slight overdrive where the overdrive provides a bit of compression of the louder sections typically with some slight "break up" whilst the softer sounds are clean, through to a rockier tone similar to AC/DC riffs.

Experiment with overdrive at different gain settings and different dynamics (by "dynamics" I mean playing the guitar strings harder or softer).

Also, if you are using PC plugins, you should really have a guitar amp simulator of some sort, such as a tube amp sim. This may have enough built-in overdrive that you don't need a separate overdrive plugin. These will normally also have speaker cabinet simulation.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2020, 05:43:15 am »
Looking forward to hearing your STB, Becky.  I think you are doing ever so well to have reached the point you are at with it.  Of course, I am judging from my own perspective, where right now I'd be happy to play the intro and first 4 bars consistently clean and without errors  ::)

For the rest, Majik makes a good point on getting a simulator for an amp for the DAW.  I have one that I purchased (Waves GTR).  There are others.  I expect there are some free ones as well, though don't know for sure.  There was a video posted in the Forum about Home Recording and I seem to think there were some recommendations made in that video.

For removing signal noise, you may have to shell out some $$$.  I have a noise filter from Waves, which works really well for me.  Not aware of any free filters, as I recall when I looked I came up blank.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2020, 06:36:34 am »
I did a quick search and came across this list:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/02/21/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-guitar-amp-simulator-vstau-plugins/

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2020, 10:06:01 pm »
Downloaded Black Rooster Audio's version of the Tiny Terror amp head. (It's free) Messed with that. Slapped Raum on it and have something that sounds decent playing along with blues tracks. I have it saved as "I want my mtv" preset. It sounds like that kind of. I am currently playing with Raum's Cosmic settings. It gives me a clean bonus chorus note with the added extended sustain. Cosmic lets you fiddle with modulation. 

Had a strange problem recording. When I hit play I only got a strange noise. Sounded fine on the headphone as I was recording. looked fine in the Daw. I set up a new project, i'm going to try again. I had just been forced to update windows so maybe got corrupted somehow? I exported the strange noise track to chop up at some point and synth it's got potential. Input isn't going above 10db. Noise floor is low and have parametric eq on the 2 channels and the master to change the frequency of more of the noise. Have every channel set to post effects this time.

Crossing my fingers this works

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2020, 01:06:16 am »
Well it's been a bit. I've been committing deforestation in the back yard from weeds and weed trees now that we have okay weather. Been practicing, but not in a super structured way.

1) I found out what was causing my DAW to produce the feedback!!! (Or whatever it is)
  It matters what order effects are loaded into the channels!! No one seems to mention this. Not sure why??! I can use the same effects but they need to be in a certain order or when you hit play the only thing that's turning up recorded is screeching noise and no guitar. Funny enough, like I mentioned, you can't tell until you stop recording. Everything sounds and looks fine until then.

Tried to record S-T-B last night but I was stressed and it was 110 °F in the house. (Couldn't get into it) That tropical storm is bringing rain today and cooler weather tomorrow. :)

Been researching all I can online about composition and songwriting. I'd like to work on my song about my encounters with the mountain lion, and I was inspired and enraged by the George Floyd tradegy. (I'm not big on lyrics but I do have a lot to say about what is going down, so figured i'd try to write a song... Easier said then done however since im a noob..

Found a YouTube channel called Digital Tour Bus. Found out they're based in Illinois. Really fun to see how big and small bands live on the road and hear people's tips and tricks for surviving tours. Since I've never heard of most of the bands, i've found a few from many different genres that are pretty good.

Found someone who said they would take a look at teaching Two Djinn!!!!!! I started crying when he said he'd give it a shot. It's a song that means a lot to me and there's a chance I might actually learn one of my bucket list songs before I die. I'm dropping everything and focusing on that, and anything I need to do to play it, if he does the lesson. It also falls under one of the few songs i'm willing to croak out vocally, since I can't sing. So it will be interesting.

BTW- I never mentioned it, but I did get my strength for my stupid heavy strings. I'm not having problems with them anymore holding the bars. My skin toughened on my bar finger to compensate and my finger strength improved. I may not go back to lighter strings. I'm kind of liking these now that they don't kill me, but the nut binds on the thicker strings a little.

Got $20 and bought a pre-roasted chicken, microwavable mashed potatoes, a packet of gravey mix, and a bottle of strawberry Nesquick. I can finally eat something other than Ramen Noodles! Looking forward to that as soon as it cools down a bit. Shouldn't have wasted money on the bottle of Nesquick but it was so good.

Anyway just checking in. I still can't really tell if i'm getting any better but I solved the mystery noise problem!

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2020, 06:40:14 am »
Becky, good to hear from you, on matters guitar and life in general. Sounds like you are keeping up and getting on.

Interested to hear a little bit more about the ordering of fx to generate noise.

On my 10 minutes a day most days, I am making slow progress on S-T-B, playing through to bar 8 now.

Take care

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2020, 03:11:24 am »
HA! Another little boost for diminished chords being in songs I love. One of the guitar guys i'm subbed to on YouTube broke down the Fade To Black intro and why it works today. Other than a diminished chord popping up in there, the video covers note movement between the triads while keeping one note the same. I want to explore that a lot more since I've been messing with voice leading. (And gotta get the name for it again) I kind of had an "oooooo" moment over that. (Yep, i'm a nerd, and i'm sure i'm skipping over a lot but, ooooo! As I get farther in theory stuff, bits and pieces slam into place even if I skip around.)

Been enjoying some of Justin's new videos, and filling in more gaps. I was improvising with his backing track during my AM practice. I was unhappy with what I came up with. It sounded like a vocal melody. I wasn't going for what I got... I'm missing info in this area. (It was acceptable for what the lesson wanted though)

Signals Music Studio did a shred solo lesson and broke what he did down. I want to look into that more.

Tonight's PM practice will be: going over MT's arrangement of the Slopes of Blessure. I've been trilling for a while and other than some tricky fast changes involving trills, it looks do-able for what i've been practicing to do with fingerstyle already. (Not saying it's 'easy' he even says it's a challenge, but it's intermediate/ advanced, classical-esque fingerpicking. It's very much in my wheelhouse of practiced techniques, and is a pretty arrangement..)

Abandoned the song I was writing again. (But I recorded the idea on my tablet so I wouldn't forget)

I was / am working on How Will I Laugh Tomorrow, by Suicidal Tendencies. (instrumental on guitalele.) The intro riff uses a trill, and that bridge bar movement from Steady Thumb Blues. (Thank you again Justin! Looks like i'll be finding all kinds of uses for that. :) ) The riff or lick near the end is fun just because it's the fastest solo-y thing I know at the moment other then the bipity-bopity-boo shreddy thing I figured out. The end riff is only using hammer ons and pull offs. Kind of proud I figured that out by ear even though it's kind of simple and short. Small wins add up.

David - That's awesome! I think it's a blast to play. I really have to get cracking on recording... It tends to stress me out because i'm never happy with anything because of my stupid lack of good timing. I don't think I can give you many details on the vst conflicts. I didn't really go all beta testing mode on it. I was pretty frustrated over the whole situation. I'm not having loads of fun "dialing in a tone" I think it's frustrating. I know what I want to hear, and am having problems producing the sound. (This is why gear sells i'm sure lol)

--------------
Afterthought: **
I should think about working on my ukulele arrangement of the X-Files Theme again. I got stuck when it changes into the weird note combinations in the B part. (I have no idea what's going on there yet. Not even sure I can retain hearing them enough to figure it out, yet.) Maybe i'll have better luck now, then I did after working intervals for a while. Considering I've not played my arrangement in a while I have to relearn it again..... I like reverbing without using effects anyway. It relaxes me. The song keeps me aware of(?) I guess it's "the pocket?" Since i'm playing the reverb bits and keeping awareness of the beat *ALWAYS*  to keep the feel. I'm sure working out the melody B if I can, would be beneficial in learning.... something.. Not sure knowing what i'm doing is always necessary. It feels like something a teacher would assign to learn something.

Anyway, warm up, and attempting MT's Slopes of Blessure.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2020, 09:10:46 am »
Love your updates, Becky, all the details and how you are thinking and feeling ... most of the time I can follow what you are talking about (alluding to my own level of knowledge, not the clarity of your writing).

All I can say now, is I do look forward to another recording from you.  They are always so great to listen to.

Take care, keep moving onwards

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2020, 04:41:42 am »
Been working on my flat picking to play Two Djinn, my song request from MT... It feels like i'm never going to get used to using a pick. Getting better at it though. By far it's still strumming that kills me. Using a pick I found I can use a very small movement (mostly finger movement) but I have to be super conscious of not moving that arm. I did try fingerpicking it. 100% easier for me but doesn't sound like using a pick. I'm going to get it.

I tried singing along. Oh my god. I tried just singing it without playing. Again, oh my god. In my head I have Bobby singing beautifully. I've been trying to imitate singers with melody lines on guitar and uke for awhile. My instruments play in tune. My voice is like wtf?! I hear the note clearly in my head my voice doesn't cooperate. I actually surprised myself at how far off my voice is lmao! I was seriously considering seeing if I could find a good free autotune, except i'm so freaking awful trying to hit some notes autotune wouldn't even have a chance!! (Plus I really hate that fake robot sound, so I'd drive myself crazy trying to make it not make that noise.) Autotune only sounds awesome when the person can sing amazingly in the first place, not when it's trying to perform a miracle. Sigh. The only bonus is I have very distinct notes I REALLY know I should work on practicing, lol!

Anyway still going better than I expected. I still am quite horrible but i'm getting there!

Here's the original song if anyone hasn't heard it and reads this. I'm GOING TO get this down! I'm going to sing it too, but can't guarantee any kind of quality with voice lol. My friend loves it when I sing with him, because he's all about vocals. I bury my voice under his, and the instruments and I feel much more comfortable singing with my instrument.

Been playing The Rainbow Connection on guitalele from Rockclass101. As I was playing through it I realized how far i've come changing the high g songs to low G. I realize it's not very impressive, but learning to do it step by baby step was an adventure that Andrew put up with from me.

I've been roasting. It's been over 100 degrees in the house, i'm semi-ill too so haven't attempted to pull out the recording gear. I'll just irritate myself. Weather should be cooler soon.

Oh! My nephew is letting me borrow an amp. Not sure when i'll get it.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2020, 08:13:56 am »
Keep at it, Becky, sure you'll prevail with both the playing and the singing.  Sure it is not as "wtf" as you say  ;D  Hope you fully recover soon.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2020, 01:24:22 pm »
Lol ty David, but in certain parts it turns into a pretty wobbly horrid nightmare trying to hit some notes. I stopped trying to sing and stopped listening to music pretty much when I lost faith in humanity back in 1995. I wasn't good at singing back then either but it wasn't THIS bad. Gotta love getting old.

Got the intro down pretty well tonight! I wasn't plugged in, so tweaking will be needed later, but I think I got Bobby's squeaky hits on the intro down pretty stinkin' well this practice!! I'm super happy with tonight's progress. I'm getting the first two chords mostly in time after the intro, but i'm fingering it a bit different. Got more written down from the lesson. I'm up to the C#minor in the lesson. (I should have done that all first, but i'm way too excited about playing this.)

I was so happy, I walked to 7-11 around 3:30am singing loudly because I was the only person out there and awake before I thought about people probably having their windows open in the heat and it was dead silent outside with absolutely no traffic and no other noise except a few bullfrogs! ROFLMAO!!!!!

Bonus!: Weighed myself and i'm down to 127lbs. 💖 (If I get down to my high school weight I can probably fit into my old dress I still have lol!) It would be kind of cool to record in it just because it made it to a Dead concert and I still have it. 😄

Anyway, heck yeah!! Haven't been this genuinely happy for years. Forgot how it felt. Wish it would last past certain people waking up and making sure I stop feeling this way! Enjoying probably the last hour of it while I can!!

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2020, 06:30:09 am »
I was right about the other day. It got really we after having a great night. My friend was drinking. He invited me over. Against my good judgement I went. I don't really like being around really drunk people. If i'm not drinking, it's hard for me to get into the same vibe. But i've now had two musical breakthroughs that have happened while taking in performances by people who had too much. Alcohol amplifies "going there". That state where you are the music you're trying to make.

I was able to identify "musician defence mechanisms" My friend demonstrated 3.

"Fake it till you make it." He didn't study lead but he knows chords and intervals, and is good at rhythm. He was hanging out in the chords to fill up space. It worked to keep the song going.

Lol, here's some Adam Neely, in my case, with his "repetition legitimizes" meme thing. Again it worked. If he made a mistake, he made sure to own it and make it a continued part of the song.

There was another thing I can't remember now, which sucks. I should have documented it.

Both the theory exercises MT put out are fun to me. The minor scale variations one reinforces the walkdown movement I went crazy learning for the St Elsewhere Theme. I'm still working on figuring that out, and fleshing it out to be how I want. I'm still working on it in ukulele and trying to figure out how to add the low A and D strings kind of half -(I probably shouldn't swear.)

Worked on voice leading more with pedal tone? strings. Mostly was working on bass movement while keeping a pattern steady with the treble. Changed the treble pattern every other bar, to alternate between two patterns. Had main focus moving a one note melody around in the bass strings. Made up a 3 chord progression based on the melody notes I was 'singing'. It was tricky. Really fun though. I've been experimenting with this for awhile in disjointed practice. Put together a bunch of pieces.

The combination of analyzing my friend's performance helped a few more cogs click with songwriting and structure.

Working on Two Djinn still. Going to be working on that a while because of flat picking. (Speaking of which i'm down to my last pick again.... Just lost another... Freaking stupid things!)

Other than that, I probably should try to work 1 minute of something I hate doing into practice. I'm not going to stress over it. If I do, I avoid playing. There's still plenty to work on.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Get The Forum As A Mobile App