Author Topic: Twilight Storm's Road Case  (Read 8147 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Twilight Storm's Road Case
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2020, 09:39:43 am »
I remember that bridge-bar ... whooee ... it took a little fiddling around with to get it sounding clean.

Check this thread ... https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=23706.0

Offline frito

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2020, 04:16:53 am »

You're too hard on yourself.  I thought it sounded really good.  I find it so much harder having to pick out individual notes vs. strumming chords.  Full chords are so much more forgiving so to that I say hats off to you and this performance.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:32:52 am by close2u »
1983 Sigma DM12-5, 12 String Accoustic
2017 Gretsch Streamliner G2420/ABB Hollowbody
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2020, 07:06:58 pm »
I plan on recording Steady Thumb Blues so I have been plugging in to the computer to practice.

- Thumb needs work. Need to practice with a metronome. (God I hate the beeping!!)

-Need to dig in more with thumb somehow to get the bass stronger. --Test standing up for adjustability of guitar angle to have my fingers at a better angle to strings to get a less scratchy sound.

-"Drive" in context, was apparently THE word I needed to explain dynamics....

-Need to work on "drive". I get it now... The electric guitar actually pointed this out the first day I plugged it into the computer. I just had no clue what I was looking for. Since the electric uses a different touch,? I have no idea what it's called... then an acoustic instrument. It plays differently. I need to build my own guitar sound on electric first because it has "no sound", then learn to use that "voice" which technically shouldn't be hard because it's however I decide to be "singing" at the time.. It's all not what i'm used to, using acoustics. Since I have very few options right now with VST's I need to look into a basic clean and a basic distortion sound that I can open easily in a project and have as default if I can save profiles. Back on topic, yes I can see there's no "excitement" which comes from volume swells from agressive playing. Aggressive playing are keywords for me... Investigating plucking on electric.. Need to record myself and listen back to see if I can do something, or if something else triggers. Can't move my arm around. I can knock a bit if i'm careful, but no wall-of-sound swell-into-the-chorus strumming can happen.

-I EQ -ed out most of the noise prior to recording on both channels. Works as a fast bandaid but unhappy the noise is in the range where there needs to be a little "openness". Instead it's squished sounding dealing with noise. Still haven't successfully removed the remaining noise inside the wrapper yet after the recording. It's "supposedly" easy. Hasn't happened yet. Be nice to be able to remove it all without the eq in pre.

Need to spend some time with the study on 3rds close2u did asap. Shooting for that after doing a "where im at" recording with Steady Thumb Blues. Today or tomorrow. It's raining.

-I'm not trusting myself in the bridge bar section. I slow down. I get the fingering in time (most of the time) Then I pause... I also need mild work on bar 8. Flubbing fingers there 1/2 the time. (The mistakes sound fine. Just wrong fingers) Added in embellishment. Triplets on second and first half of end walkdown. Microbends/blues curls. Slides into notes elsewhere. Triplet is only hard one (for me) to add. Missing the entire STRING a lot. Making it sound exciting needs work. Messed with other endings. Having a lot of fun messing with solo-ish bits still.
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2020, 04:25:06 am »
The "voice" you are referring to is what people usually call "tone". I would suggest that, for Steady Thumb Blues and similar, you might want to investigate a "crunch tone" which is normally obtained by using overdrive. This can vary from a slight overdrive where the overdrive provides a bit of compression of the louder sections typically with some slight "break up" whilst the softer sounds are clean, through to a rockier tone similar to AC/DC riffs.

Experiment with overdrive at different gain settings and different dynamics (by "dynamics" I mean playing the guitar strings harder or softer).

Also, if you are using PC plugins, you should really have a guitar amp simulator of some sort, such as a tube amp sim. This may have enough built-in overdrive that you don't need a separate overdrive plugin. These will normally also have speaker cabinet simulation.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 288
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2020, 05:43:15 am »
Looking forward to hearing your STB, Becky.  I think you are doing ever so well to have reached the point you are at with it.  Of course, I am judging from my own perspective, where right now I'd be happy to play the intro and first 4 bars consistently clean and without errors  ::)

For the rest, Majik makes a good point on getting a simulator for an amp for the DAW.  I have one that I purchased (Waves GTR).  There are others.  I expect there are some free ones as well, though don't know for sure.  There was a video posted in the Forum about Home Recording and I seem to think there were some recommendations made in that video.

For removing signal noise, you may have to shell out some $$$.  I have a noise filter from Waves, which works really well for me.  Not aware of any free filters, as I recall when I looked I came up blank.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2020, 06:36:34 am »
I did a quick search and came across this list:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/02/21/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-guitar-amp-simulator-vstau-plugins/

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2020, 10:06:01 pm »
Downloaded Black Rooster Audio's version of the Tiny Terror amp head. (It's free) Messed with that. Slapped Raum on it and have something that sounds decent playing along with blues tracks. I have it saved as "I want my mtv" preset. It sounds like that kind of. I am currently playing with Raum's Cosmic settings. It gives me a clean bonus chorus note with the added extended sustain. Cosmic lets you fiddle with modulation. 

Had a strange problem recording. When I hit play I only got a strange noise. Sounded fine on the headphone as I was recording. looked fine in the Daw. I set up a new project, i'm going to try again. I had just been forced to update windows so maybe got corrupted somehow? I exported the strange noise track to chop up at some point and synth it's got potential. Input isn't going above 10db. Noise floor is low and have parametric eq on the 2 channels and the master to change the frequency of more of the noise. Have every channel set to post effects this time.

Crossing my fingers this works
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Get The Forum As A Mobile App