Author Topic: Twilight Storm's Road Case  (Read 20233 times)

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
Re: Twilight Storm's Road Case
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 12:55:28 am »
02-16-2020
The website is experiencing issues and people really want to get in, so i'm just practicing the song and scale until things settle down.

I got some gift certificates on Amazon for Christmas and decided to take a leap of faith on a plain black Kay acoustic that was originally around $100 but marked down as having "Small cosmetic imperfections on the body." by Amazon for less than $50 with tax... (That could mean anything, but you can't ask about it, they just send it)

I figured I can check it out, if it's in really bad shape or whatever, I can return it. Scratches and dings don't bother me. It kind of looks like the mass of different brands of super cheap acoustics floating around on Amazon since it comes in colors that look identical. I'll find out in 3 days. Kay apparently supplied Sears and Penny's etc. back in the day, and reissued a bunch of vintage models so may it will surprise me. Got to be better then the one I have now as long as it's neck isn't falling off too, lol.

Not much improvement on the song but it's fun to play.
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 03:11:27 am »
DavidP - Any advice for recording is welcome always! Don't use the practice thing as an example though. I didn't spend time on it because it was just what it is. I'll look for a noise filter though. I am using FL Studio. (I bought it btw. Needed saying.) I tried to do something like sample the noise in the beginning then activated it, and it took out nearly every frequency in the track lol!! Including everything I played except something ridiculous like one string!😂😂  Needless to say I hit undo. 😂

I'll look into it more. Till then the eq works okay.

I usually just throw the parametric eq on the master channel after recording and pull the frequency numbers around until hiss on the high end two frequencies are gone and woofy bass residue that shouldn't be there disappears. I use FL's parametric eq 2? I think.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 04:35:11 am »
It's not a joke! Picks definitely disappear mysteriously when they fall on the floor.. Lost yet another one... I give up. I've never found any of them. Not even in the vaccume.

At almost a dollar each pick, I might as well have played $12 in scratch off lottery tickets.... I even bought the brightest colored ones they had so I couldn't miss the darn things on the floor! Martin and Tortex are the brightest the shop had... Bought by color this last time.

I even checked legs of the furniture just in case they bounced and landed standing up like soldiers...

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 06:47:19 am »
DavidP - Any advice for recording is welcome always! Don't use the practice thing as an example though. I didn't spend time on it because it was just what it is. I'll look for a noise filter though. I am using FL Studio. (I bought it btw. Needed saying.) I tried to do something like sample the noise in the beginning then activated it, and it took out nearly every frequency in the track lol!! Including everything I played except something ridiculous like one string!😂😂  Needless to say I hit undo. 😂

I'll look into it more. Till then the eq works okay.

I usually just throw the parametric eq on the master channel after recording and pull the frequency numbers around until hiss on the high end two frequencies are gone and woofy bass residue that shouldn't be there disappears. I use FL's parametric eq 2? I think.

What I find works for me is to be as silent as I possibly can be after hitting the record button for about 10-15 seconds.  Then I use that silence to set the noise profile.  So far that approach seems to work out OK i.e. doesn't eliminate most of the recording.  I have Waves XNoise filter so maybe it works differently to what you have packaged with the DAW?

Good idea to take out the woffy bottom.  I use a High Pass Filter for that.  I have a really simple one standard with the DAW.  I dial it up high so that the guitar sounds super tinny then move the frequncy lower and lower until the point where the guitar sounds right ... usually around 100khz.  Do the same for the vocal.  I record the guitar direct with built-in pick-up and the vocal with a mic, both through an audio interface into the DAW.

Not sure how you are recording.  If you have a DAW I assume at least a single mic via either an AI or USB ... but assumption can lead one astray.  Irrespective if a single track or recorded with a phone I would think both of the above should work and may be helpful.

Look forward to the next version of the song ....

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2020, 07:22:29 pm »
Maybe the silence wasn't long enough? I was only leaving 3-5 seconds before the track. Next time I get it set up i'll try the 10-15 seconds and post the results. I was using whatever is built into FL Studio itself. It's not a plugin. I'll see what the FL manual says again. My ambient noise floor is pretty spectacular though.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2020, 12:25:54 pm »
It's not a joke! Picks definitely disappear mysteriously when they fall on the floor.
I laughed when I read this. I’ve just spent 10 minutes searching under everything, only to discover the pick had fallen inside my guitar! Another 10 minutes spent shaking it out! 😂
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 112
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2020, 03:18:20 pm »
I laughed when I read this. I’ve just spent 10 minutes searching under everything, only to discover the pick had fallen inside my guitar! Another 10 minutes spent shaking it out! 😂

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 02:57:30 am »
LOL! Love the picture!

I shook my guitar and unless there's alien spiders livin' in there that eat picks, I didn't get so lucky. I'm drilling a hole in my next one and attaching a string or elastic thread to it long enough to slip over a finger. (Seriously) Also gathering plastic cards from the mail and just going to cut some out. (I'll probably find those if they fall since they will probably suck, Murphy's law and all.)

The Kay acoustic is supposed to arrive tomorrow by 9pm. I'm excited. However, it isn't even showing Amazon shipped it yet so i'm not sure they won't change my delivery date tomorrow on me suddenly. Hopefully they didn't loose it in the warehouse.

Found Justin's video on buying the cheapest acoustic on Amazon and i'm not as scared now. He didn't like it, but even it's more playable than the one I have at the moment. (The practice clip demonstrates how out of tune fretted notes are and it's a 0 fret guitar so that isn't me.) I can relate to him disliking cheap instruments. Playing the uke then swapping to something drastically under the price range is cringy in feel, sound and playability. Way it goes though.

YouTube still won't let me activate the bell icon on any new subscriptions like JustinGuitar, so I still can't get notified when new videos come out!!!!!! 😠

Excited about the guitar though. I got a tri action capo with more gift certificates and it works with the tiny tenor uke, and the acoustic. I assume it will work fine on the electric guitar but haven't tested it yet. It messes with my head a bit since the dots don't mean anything with it on. I tried to play Down and Out with the capo on the 3rd fret but I was second guessing where the F#diminished was supposed to land because the higher I go on the neck the more drastically out of tune things get unless I yank back on the neck really hard to try to put it back where it's supposed to be glued on. (I don't want to speed the process of the neck cracking off either. Breaking a string is traumatic enough. I will probably have nightmares over the sound of the neck cracking off.

Played the ear training game on the website again and got to level 5 barely. I need to find the courses. It's kind of fun to do right before I go to sleep though. I was only figuring out most of them by humming how many steps I think are between the first and second note. Rick Beato released a video on intervals today. I guess humming the steps is a real thing at least! I saved it to revisit when I know what i'm doing more since his stuff is more advanced then I am at the moment, but him going over the steps and half steps made sense on how they work and are named.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2020, 10:01:25 am »
NO NO NO!!!! Amazon cancelled my guitar! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2020, 10:21:08 am »
I can see why your initial reaction is that.
However, can I counter with a 'blessing in disguise' type message.
You already have a cheap acoustic that is horrible to play.
To be frank, that Kay guitar would have been a classic case of good money after bad.
It would not have been a reasonable guitar at a modest price.
It would also have been a cheap guitar that is horrible to play.
Do yourself a massive favour.
Do not buy another cheap acoustic that is horrible to play.
Either:
1] use that money to buy a btter guitar from the 2nd hand market - you will get something much better that just happens not to be brand new
2] save that money and add to it over the coming weeks / months and buy a better new guitar.

In the mean time, de-tune your strings by a full tone and use a capo on fret 2.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2020, 12:18:24 pm »
Sadly it's gift certificates. Using money can't happen so i'm stuck on Amazon. I'm seeing what else is available. The one I have now I really liked actually before the neck started falling off. The 0 fret is awesome.

Still trying to find electric treble string reviews so I can play that stupid thing without it destroying the picking nails on my right hand I have left. I'm guessing whatever is on there must be hex core or something so i'm looking at round core string sets right now. (Hoping the trebles won't be sharp barby cheese graters... Or info on if the coatings help with that, or if it's even on the trebles in those sets.)

Capo and dropping the tuning sadly doesn't change the closer I get to where the neck joins the body the more out of tune the notes are until they get to two frets the same note at 12 because of the crack... I tried earlier after seeing your post to someone else about relieving neck pressure. 😕

But thank you Close2u 💖

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2020, 02:36:32 pm »
If you want a reasonable guitar off Amazon the best you will get at a sensible price is the brands Donner or Enya, I’ve got both of their brands of Ukuleles and played both of their reasonably priced guitars, both are pretty good especially for what they cost!
Look for this:
4.6 out of 5 stars  38 Reviews
Donner DAG-1C Beginner Acoustic Guitar Full Size, 41" Cutaway Guitar Bundle with Gig Bag Tuner Capo Picks Strap String
Or this:
4.3 out of 5 stars  12 Reviews
Donner DAG-1CE Electro Acoustic Guitar Cutaway 41" Full-size Guitar Bundle Built-in Preamp with Bag Strap Tuner String
Or this:
5.0 out of 5 stars  8 Reviews
Enya EM-X1 Acoustic Guitar HPL 36 Inch Travel Guitar D'Addario Strings Beginner Bundle with Free Guitar bag,Capo,Tuner, Strap Etc.
These are also OK, I have visited their UK warehouse to have a look see when they first started up and was impressed!
4.7 out of 5 stars  68 Reviews
Lindo Purple Swallow Electro Acoustic Guitar with Dreamcatcher Inlay & Gig Bag

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2020, 08:46:24 pm »
DarrellW -I looked up those models and put them in my cart this morning after I read your post. To watch for cosmetic price drops, except the Lindo. The 2 models of Lindo they have in the states are $300-$700.... Even half destroyed with structural damage they wouldn't price drop enough lol.

But. Things got weird.

Long super strange day where things were coming out to be "just enough" for everything. Basically a series of events happened and I ended up searching guilele's.

My friend gave me a recount of the same "just enough" thing happening to him today.

Found a Yamaha GL1 guilele that was exactly my remaining gift balance.

It's at least I know it's a good instrument. Not quite a proper guitar, but I shouldn't have a problem with it. Just a fourth higher. It's small too which will probably be a "perfect size" if the events and Fate were really trying to get me there. (My broken acoustic is just a little bigger than a baritone uke.)

First Amazon cancelled, then Close2U said it was a blessing in disguise, then too much stuff to ignore happening today to me, & my friend had the same thing happening and he left me with the words:

"I (he) was letting Fate happen today because everything was working out perfectly." "I (he) just stepped back and got out of the way and let things play out."

I'm going to step back and get out of the way of Fate today. It's been too weird today for me to ignore.

DarrellW- The fact you play uke and guitar, same rockclass101 upbringing too, even feeds into the series of events.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2020, 12:36:10 am »
Yeah, I used to have a Donner Guitalele, it was pretty good if anything better than the Yamaha, the only thing that can be a pest is the Fluocarbon strings that take time to stretch in and hold tune but you probably know that anyway!

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2020, 06:28:37 pm »
02-21-2020 - The guilele is arriving today at some point. :)

Tried to see if I could play some of the things I was figuring out on ukulele on the acoustic. Not really. Only successful thing was the main riff to Prelude to Madness./ Inspector Gadget/ and that Slayer riff that uses the same notes... Depending on which strings it's played on, it's almost the same as uke though. Need to try this on the electric and see if I can work out some of the free guitar plugins to make it sound more like Prelude to Madness.. (Doubtful lol)

Practiced Down and Out more. I'm kind of stuck singing bum-ba-de-da to it in my head. It's making what i'm playing sound the same..... Sigh. Once I can get the transitions smooth I really have to see what I can do to change the pattern for it.. because bum-ba-de-da.. facepalm.

Ukulele -Got super frustrated trying to get those harmonic chords on uke again. Tried for about an hour. I'm almost out of time. I may not get them before I need to record something for the challenge... Might get super inspired by the guilele though. I can tell it's strings will annoy me from videos of the GL1, they're roundwound. Won't be able to do anything about it for a while so hopefully the ones that come on it aren't too dead.

Need to investigate this "practice assistant" thing now that I have a collection of things I'd like to work on.
----------

DarrellW - Yeah, it's not my first choice for a guilele. But it was a safe choice and everything was pointing me at it that day!!

I can't wait to see what the GL1's voice is in.... That's exciting because i'm a nerd I guess lol.

I love (some) flourocarbon strings. Once they finish stretching they're great until I wear deep groves in them. The GL1 comes with nylon installed it looks like....

I will probably try those nanoweb coated strings when I can afford them on electric. It looks like they have enough goo on them to make slides less noisy.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2020, 06:27:59 pm »
03-05-2020 - Still working on Down and Out. Still messing around with the chord progression. Been experimenting with how i'm playing each variation. Improvised lyrics are still silly.

GL-1 guitalele has some mfg. defects. Going to exchange it. I have been playing it a lot, but the issues aren't cosmetic. It's awesome though! It sounds like a ukulele. It's built quite solidly lol. The bracing inside doesn't exactly give me confidence it would let... well... ANYTHING vibrate. My impression is like it was built more to be more likely to survive minor accidents, like someone stepping on it for a moment outside. Maybe dropping it.

I already think about playing in that range. It just adds two bass strings. It's actually a good thing for me.

Frets are cut short at the soundhole, and the frets down the entire bottom of the neck weren't tapped in properly so they ski ramp up. I thought it was fret pop, which wouldn't be a problem but the company finished the fret edges with a wood filler or something. It appears the frets were finished at the factory this way and didn't lift in storage or shipping. I'm not a luthier but it's pretty obvious, especially since I was able to examine the filler application where there was no fret wire when the machine went around the board or whatever goes on at the factory.

The ski ramp part would be fixed during a set up but I would loose an excessive amount of fret wire on that side. Add that to the two frets not only ramping on the right, but also cut very short on the other side.... I just can't rationalize NOT exchanging it. I really looked forward to having those extra frets finally. I do hate the factory set of strings on it. I kind of love the nylon trebble strings. They have a  neat sound and are lower tension then i'm used to. The wrapped basses are not my thing. I like strings that have more balanced volume across them all. I play pretty lightly.. Like I probably need to learn to dig in more - type lightly, and the 4 basses need special treatment or they get surprising.

A fretboard redo on a new instrument is playability issues, not cosmetic issues like a gash or scratches.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2020, 08:10:28 pm »
It’s most likely been returned already for the same reason as you want to return it for, don’t put up with those sort of defects - unless it was stated before purchase you’re within your rights to return it!

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 11:31:31 pm »
Getting the replacement GL-1 back from being set up tomorrow afternoon. Yea! Happy that my friend decided to cover it for my B-day. So awesome and unexpected.

Luthier said he was surprised it sounded as nice as it does. A customer was surprised it sounded good when I dropped it off. Now if I can play good enough to make it sound great under my fingers it will be a huge bonus lol.

I'm posting audio Friday hopefully. Progress with Down & Out, and/or probably Lagrima using the ukulele side of it for the other challenge.

Excited!

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2020, 12:24:45 am »
I'm posting audio Friday hopefully. Progress with Down & Out, and/or probably Lagrima using the ukulele side of it for the other challenge.

Excited!

Looking forward to that Becky.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2020, 01:24:30 am »
Recorded a really cringy entry for the uke challenge... I didn't want to share this here because i'm fully aware it's horrible, but meh.

It's played on the Yamaha guitalele anyway.. Superbly awful recording job this time. I really like the song though. Going to try to get a better recording more on par of how I normally play it, if I can get over the record button panic which set in hardcore this time? Not sure why. I was shaking and everything which hadn't happened in a while. Sigh.

https://soundcloud.com/becky-p-145846069/lagrima

I warned it was cringy lol. I totally didn't lie.

Been practicing ukulele and guitar about 4 hours a day. (Combined) Got a high e on the electric finally yesterday was broken a few days. Tried set of Daddario half-rounds. I like them for reduced sneaker squeak, but they aren't polished feeling. Should have gotten 9's or 8's. Thought 10 was standard but these are heavier than the set that came on the guitar.

Started trying the practice assistant timer on the site. Not sure what to put in for stats on pretty much anything. It's just a timer with an alarm. Giving it a shot. Would like to find a lesson that uses the video part of it. Haven't found one yet.

Tried the string bending lesson here. It's a bit discouraging to not be able to use the motion he suggests... It uses the area in my arm that's damaged. I can't even do a micro bend with that motion without severe pain... So I am stuck using finger bends or not bending strings at all. :(

Can't palm mute for a similar reason so im pretty depressed about it all right now. I still can't find an alternative for palm muting...

Other than that, things are going okay for now for us. My county is #2 in Illinois for most cases of the virus.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2020, 05:34:05 am »
Glad you shared it, Becky.

Maybe my ears are calibrated, auto-filter and do tend to make a silk purse from a sow's ear ... but I never cringed.  Yup, one or two flubs and there are the signal-noise issues that we've chatted about before.  I'd also try and trim the recording before uploading to eliminate the start and end noise. But the piece itself was lovely and you sound like you are making good progress.

Sorry to hear of all the other challenges ... arm related.  Keep persevering and I guess in time you'll figure things out and develop your own ways that work for you and allow you to make the music you want to make.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2020, 11:26:28 am »
Hi Becky, it’s not cringeworthy at all, work is definitely needed but I worry that you’re trying to practice for that period of time nursing an injury! Potentially it could get worse and leave you with a longer term to get it better! You’ve taken on a fairly difficult piece for your level so it should help on your submission for the competition, tidy it up a bit and it will be fine! The main thing is to get shut of the background hiss, when that’s gone it will sound much better! Take care and look after yourself!

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 11:17:52 pm »
Thank you both for the cheerful encouragement. It's not how it's supposed to be yet though. Funny enough Lagrima uses two augmented chords in it too lol! Just two finger versions of it. I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for here. 😄👍 Stitch's post about moving them helped me ID them.

BTW- The rockclass101 challenges are so we challenge ourselves at whatever skill we are at, and keep practicing. He usually has a beginner, intermediate, and advanced choice every month.

If we play his arrangements the winner is randomly drawn from all the entries, so no one feels they shouldn't try against other people. I don't ever win anything. Started doing the challenges as soon as I started playing. My first song on uke was The Walking Dead theme. (I entered and was all happy I learned a song) I enjoy doing them though. I think they accelerated my learning, just to have a deadline to learn a song and whatever techniques by. (Andrew's a great teacher and makes great arrangements too imo which helps.)

Practice journal below.

I've been working on the fretboard more. I dumped all the notes but G. Working on knowing G on the electric guitar and on the guitalele. (And uke) I have the electric G's down. Working on G's on the guitalele and uke. It's harder to memorize for some reason. Going to see where i'm at in 5 days. I'd like to have G down so well I can find any of them immediately, no hesitation. On any string, in any combo.

Doing Signals Music Studio's ear training coarse along with Justin's free portion. Was hoping to get a clue what is going on with the descending intervals especially.

Tried a few more songs... Using the first two chords from, every breath you take as a stretching exercise since I can't mute. I don't have problems with my short pinky finger, but my hands are small too. The second chord is my extreme maximum reach (ever) on my hand. Moving my first finger on that second chord is pretty much a buzzy disaster I start body contortions to keep things fretted with.

Tentatively I may have the first note of the walkdown in st elsewhere finally!!!!! Going to play against the song and if I think I do have it, going to write it down and ask somewhere here and I can move onto figuring out the chords for the melody and actually play one dang song *I* want to play.

Trying the practice assistant still.
Justin seems to have reinstalled most of the website diagrams too which is helpful.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2020, 06:42:06 am »
04-02-2020

Found mostly okay tabs for Last Dawn by Savatage on Songster. Would rather learn When the Crowds are Gone, but that's harder, and much longer than Last Dawn. Need to go slow with it on these electric guitar strings. I absolutely do not have bar calluses for these heavier strings yet lol! Ouch! I was not working on toughening that finger properly. This song will do it.

Trying the "Do not play it wrong." Method so i'm holding the silly bar chords down for much longer than I would like, as I pick out of them. It's also proving I had no strength in my fingers.

Looping the first 8 bars right now of Last Dawn. Using a pick, will need to use hybrid picking when I get a bit farther into the song. Will need to examine the end. It doesn't sound totally correct against the song.

Need to take frequent breaks so I don't abuse my apparently baby soft pointer finger on the heavy strings too badly.

Practicing with wicked guitar tuner dot coms online metronome that has a hihat sound at 50 bpm. Not sure a metronome is a good idea until I can remember exactly where to chord, to not miss beats, but it's more seeing if it doesn't drive me insane at the moment. The metronome is kind of neat, other drum sounds can be added and it's customizable.

Still working on my practice regimen. Still don't have G down instantly over the whole fretboard with no errors or hesitation at higher speeds especially when I try to go random strings, with the find the note exercise.. That's frustrating. Need to figure out a better way to quiz myself for randoms.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2020, 04:08:15 am »
04-03-2020

My bar chord clarity is improving in the beginning of Last Dawn in bar 10 on Songster. Doing very short sessions on the bar chord progression with the mind to not play a note unless I know it's correct is helping with muscle memory. When im doing the pull off to the bar finger I still struggle a LOT to not have muted strings but I isolated my problem there. I expect as my strength improves and my skin toughens a bit I will get it better. My arm's at a hugely awkward angle playing in the 1st fret, let alone that pull off. Really wish I could put my elbow out away from my body... But if I had a penny every time I wished that, i'd be rich...

When the song came out I could sing the whole thing. Don't know if people still do that with band's instrumentals. Was magical to be part of a crowded arena who were all singing any band's  instrumentals.. 💖

Not doing this month's RC ukulele challenge probably. If I do, it would probably be Day-O because of crazy bad things that happen every time I play Hawaiian songs. It's superstitious but i'll stay safe with all the bad going on right now, why potentially invite it.

Think i'm going to focus on Tobias' new uke lesson. Got the chance to look over the tabs and how it was presented and think it will help fill in what i'm missing connecting all these melody lines I know with all the stupid chords I don't quite understand... Got to admit I got really good at figuring out one note wonder melodies. I just can't DO anything with them!!!!!!!! I haven't found what exactly I have to learn yet so I keep digging randomly around theory and YouTube till I find "it."

Close2U's example of the scales lined up with the 6's and 9's highlighted compared to other scales clicked a notch in my cog tonight too. (Ty close2u, I downloaded that to reference when I get closer to whatever theory tipping point i'm getting closer to.)

I tend to be confused a long time then suddenly I learn one thing that connects everything and I feel like Neo saying "I know kung fu." when theory junk clicks.

Bill Withers passed away too..  :(

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Get The Forum As A Mobile App