Author Topic: Twilight Storm's Road Case  (Read 2485 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Twilight Storm's Road Case
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2020, 05:34:05 am »
Glad you shared it, Becky.

Maybe my ears are calibrated, auto-filter and do tend to make a silk purse from a sow's ear ... but I never cringed.  Yup, one or two flubs and there are the signal-noise issues that we've chatted about before.  I'd also try and trim the recording before uploading to eliminate the start and end noise. But the piece itself was lovely and you sound like you are making good progress.

Sorry to hear of all the other challenges ... arm related.  Keep persevering and I guess in time you'll figure things out and develop your own ways that work for you and allow you to make the music you want to make.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2020, 11:26:28 am »
Hi Becky, it’s not cringeworthy at all, work is definitely needed but I worry that you’re trying to practice for that period of time nursing an injury! Potentially it could get worse and leave you with a longer term to get it better! You’ve taken on a fairly difficult piece for your level so it should help on your submission for the competition, tidy it up a bit and it will be fine! The main thing is to get shut of the background hiss, when that’s gone it will sound much better! Take care and look after yourself!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 11:17:52 pm »
Thank you both for the cheerful encouragement. It's not how it's supposed to be yet though. Funny enough Lagrima uses two augmented chords in it too lol! Just two finger versions of it. I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for here. 😄👍 Stitch's post about moving them helped me ID them.

BTW- The rockclass101 challenges are so we challenge ourselves at whatever skill we are at, and keep practicing. He usually has a beginner, intermediate, and advanced choice every month.

If we play his arrangements the winner is randomly drawn from all the entries, so no one feels they shouldn't try against other people. I don't ever win anything. Started doing the challenges as soon as I started playing. My first song on uke was The Walking Dead theme. (I entered and was all happy I learned a song) I enjoy doing them though. I think they accelerated my learning, just to have a deadline to learn a song and whatever techniques by. (Andrew's a great teacher and makes great arrangements too imo which helps.)

Practice journal below.

I've been working on the fretboard more. I dumped all the notes but G. Working on knowing G on the electric guitar and on the guitalele. (And uke) I have the electric G's down. Working on G's on the guitalele and uke. It's harder to memorize for some reason. Going to see where i'm at in 5 days. I'd like to have G down so well I can find any of them immediately, no hesitation. On any string, in any combo.

Doing Signals Music Studio's ear training coarse along with Justin's free portion. Was hoping to get a clue what is going on with the descending intervals especially.

Tried a few more songs... Using the first two chords from, every breath you take as a stretching exercise since I can't mute. I don't have problems with my short pinky finger, but my hands are small too. The second chord is my extreme maximum reach (ever) on my hand. Moving my first finger on that second chord is pretty much a buzzy disaster I start body contortions to keep things fretted with.

Tentatively I may have the first note of the walkdown in st elsewhere finally!!!!! Going to play against the song and if I think I do have it, going to write it down and ask somewhere here and I can move onto figuring out the chords for the melody and actually play one dang song *I* want to play.

Trying the practice assistant still.
Justin seems to have reinstalled most of the website diagrams too which is helpful.
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2020, 06:42:06 am »
04-02-2020

Found mostly okay tabs for Last Dawn by Savatage on Songster. Would rather learn When the Crowds are Gone, but that's harder, and much longer than Last Dawn. Need to go slow with it on these electric guitar strings. I absolutely do not have bar calluses for these heavier strings yet lol! Ouch! I was not working on toughening that finger properly. This song will do it.

Trying the "Do not play it wrong." Method so i'm holding the silly bar chords down for much longer than I would like, as I pick out of them. It's also proving I had no strength in my fingers.

Looping the first 8 bars right now of Last Dawn. Using a pick, will need to use hybrid picking when I get a bit farther into the song. Will need to examine the end. It doesn't sound totally correct against the song.

Need to take frequent breaks so I don't abuse my apparently baby soft pointer finger on the heavy strings too badly.

Practicing with wicked guitar tuner dot coms online metronome that has a hihat sound at 50 bpm. Not sure a metronome is a good idea until I can remember exactly where to chord, to not miss beats, but it's more seeing if it doesn't drive me insane at the moment. The metronome is kind of neat, other drum sounds can be added and it's customizable.

Still working on my practice regimen. Still don't have G down instantly over the whole fretboard with no errors or hesitation at higher speeds especially when I try to go random strings, with the find the note exercise.. That's frustrating. Need to figure out a better way to quiz myself for randoms.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2020, 04:08:15 am »
04-03-2020

My bar chord clarity is improving in the beginning of Last Dawn in bar 10 on Songster. Doing very short sessions on the bar chord progression with the mind to not play a note unless I know it's correct is helping with muscle memory. When im doing the pull off to the bar finger I still struggle a LOT to not have muted strings but I isolated my problem there. I expect as my strength improves and my skin toughens a bit I will get it better. My arm's at a hugely awkward angle playing in the 1st fret, let alone that pull off. Really wish I could put my elbow out away from my body... But if I had a penny every time I wished that, i'd be rich...

When the song came out I could sing the whole thing. Don't know if people still do that with band's instrumentals. Was magical to be part of a crowded arena who were all singing any band's  instrumentals.. 💖

Not doing this month's RC ukulele challenge probably. If I do, it would probably be Day-O because of crazy bad things that happen every time I play Hawaiian songs. It's superstitious but i'll stay safe with all the bad going on right now, why potentially invite it.

Think i'm going to focus on Tobias' new uke lesson. Got the chance to look over the tabs and how it was presented and think it will help fill in what i'm missing connecting all these melody lines I know with all the stupid chords I don't quite understand... Got to admit I got really good at figuring out one note wonder melodies. I just can't DO anything with them!!!!!!!! I haven't found what exactly I have to learn yet so I keep digging randomly around theory and YouTube till I find "it."

Close2U's example of the scales lined up with the 6's and 9's highlighted compared to other scales clicked a notch in my cog tonight too. (Ty close2u, I downloaded that to reference when I get closer to whatever theory tipping point i'm getting closer to.)

I tend to be confused a long time then suddenly I learn one thing that connects everything and I feel like Neo saying "I know kung fu." when theory junk clicks.

Bill Withers passed away too..  :(

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 126
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2020, 04:18:46 am »
I tend to be confused a long time then suddenly I learn one thing that connects everything and I feel like Neo saying "I know kung fu." when theory junk clicks.

Oh yeah Becky, I hear you. I did the same thing this morning. Been plodding along with a midi bass track for 8 weeks, just couldn't get it right. Opened the file today and ta da, I could hear what was wrong and more importantly what I needed to change. Now to get the drums right.

close2u (Richard) is a treasure house of knowledge and generosity. We are so very fortunate to have him moderating this forum. 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2020, 07:56:04 am »
Good vibes foor you Becky  8)

I love reading your RC posts ... being an inside observer of your journey, your discoveries, your ups and downs and the wonderful way you tell your story.

It's inspirational and helps keep my motor running when I might be working my way up the hill to the next tipping point.

Look forward to hearing Last Dawn when you reach the point that you are ready to share ...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2020, 08:08:48 am »
Becky you’re a gem! Good vibes from me too - I really enjoy your turn of phrase and your ability to make it interesting!
It’s great to see that you’re finding out things for yourself, I think that’s one of the most important things to be able to do; having been a Research and Development engineer most of my working life it’s always been easy for me but it’s hard work for anyone who hasn’t yet acquired that skill - stick at it, you’re doing good!!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 491
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2020, 10:32:51 am »
Keep these updates coming in your unique and inimitable style Becky. :)

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #54 on: Today at 06:26:38 am »
04-07-2020 (Exciting for me, not so much for others probably, but thanks guys 💖)

I was practicing Last Dawn on the electric, my strength gives out in my fretting arm pretty quickly. I messed with Amplitude, Rev plate, and a few other effects I had kicking around in the DAW earlier and got an interesting tone.

I love that the body vibration sound the electric has, is picked up on the DAW. Think it's an Ash body? I'm not really up on loving the stupid noise floor I got going on, even plugged in... Seriously why?

One of the effects had a gate button that said "learn" I pushed it, and it attempted to remove the noise. Did a really decent job, so:

I have to look at noise gates, what they do, and how to use one properly. (And what plugins I have that includes them so I have a choice on other junk they will add. I don't have an amp.)

I don't really know the shapes so I can't say I KNOW the scale, but close2U's scale diagram actually did click the cog a notch. I actually knew I was in the different places on the neck based around the root finally. Can't say I know the patterns well, Still going off sounds because memorizing this stuff isn't my strength. Worked off the pattern picture from memory. Which wasn't close to perfect, added in a lot of bad notes lol. Made some good progress "talking" in phrases during this. Was messing with intervals here too.

Spent an hour or 2 today messing with voice leading and drone strings while exploring double stops on the GL-1.

Actually was able to identify some of the intervals by name as I was playing which is a bit huge. Probably a glitch, but felt huge.

"Transcribed" The thing I was playing. I named the, motif? I guess? "Hunting in the North" lol. It sounds like music that might play in a snowy forrest hunting area in a fantasy game lol. I was really getting into it though 😊. Transcribed is a loose term too, btw. It's just tabs so I wouldn't forget it... no other markings... But it's written down, and not terribly complicated.

I don't quite have G down instantly. I do have it down enough to locate it fairly quickly now. Need another exercise I can add to "Find the note G" Need a good way to work it.

Think I finally figured out the walkdown to the St Elsewhere Theme on uke! No one would help me, but think I finally figured out the stupid note I can't hear properly, that the walkdown starts on!💖 Since I have been messing with the 4 in a row phrasing I was ready for it, and it resolved to the right place in the melody! 👍👍👍👍👍  Need to test it against the song still. Taking a break, but got to write that all down. (At least that one dumb note, if nothing else.)

Was pretty productive today even though I neglected "proper" practice. Was more of a fun explore what I've learned kind of day. It's kind of neat that stuff is soaking in more. Takes patience lol.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
« Reply #55 on: Today at 11:15:09 am »
Fabulous update Becky ... loads of positive achievements.

I'd love to hear "Hunting in the North".  I did something similar (at least I think so based on your description). I called it "Voices of Vincent Blue Beast".  And if that makes you curious, go check it out in AVOYP ... I wrote a novella about it as well as posting the video :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App