Author Topic: Twilight Storm's Road Case  (Read 1055 times)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 182
Re: Twilight Storm's Road Case
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 08:29:57 pm »
As usual there are lots of ways to play this chord. The one I’ve found that fits and is fairly easy to play is xx4545. Any thoughts?

Here's the funny thing with diminished chords.
The note you are playing are XX F# C D# A Which are the notes in F#dim7, Cdim7, D#dim7 and Adim7.
So you have just learnt 4 new chords.

Slide this chord up one Fret and you get G C# E A# which are in the chords Gdim7, C#dim7, Edim7
and A#dim7.
now you have learnt 4 more new chords.

Slide up one more fret and you get G# D F B which are in the chords G#dim7, Ddim7. Fdim7 and Bdim7.
now you have learnt 4 more new chords. that makes 12.

Now here is the kicker. Slide that chord up one more fret and you get get the notes A D# F# C.
Do these note look familiar? They are the same note as the first set just in a different order.
This means the cycle start all over again and again and again.

Congratulations you have just learnt all of the Dim7 chords all the way up the neck
using this pattern.  :) :D ;D
This works with the other dim patterns as well.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 475
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 10:06:22 pm »
Nicely explained stitch.

Diminished chords are not all bad news and meh.
They have much beauty.

They just sound a bit 'weird' and are not used very much in most song styles.

Online sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 10:53:54 pm »
Congratulations you have just learnt all of the Dim7 chords all the way up the neck
using this pattern.  :) :D ;D
This works with the other dim patterns as well.
Wow thanks stitch. Loving the buy one get one (or in this case at least 12) free concept! You’re the man!
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM & Fingerstyle. Played a bit as a teenager in the 60’s & 70’s, then life got in the way.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 03:10:17 am »
Nice Stitch I gave you a vibe thing. Wonder if a diminished shape works the same way on uke.

I got 1 play on part 1 before the video started bouncing up and down and came in today to say you were right Sair. Sorry about that. Definitely 4th fret.

Semi official 02-12-2020

I altered my chord diagram. I got the sequence written correctly last night at least. Not sure if we are expected to tab it out ourselves but that isn't going to happen.

Without tabs I have a feeling I will go completely off the rails with guitar. I "take it (music) and make it my own" too much already when I have hard fast tabs to work off of.

Anyway, will pop in after I finished practicing everything to make my official case entry.

Guitar - Going to work on the chord changes and sequence tonight. Not going to worry about the picking at all today.

Ukulele - I gave up (for now) with tapped harmonics. i'm smacking the fret too slow. If I keep at it I'll never get the performance song done before the deadline. I can do artificial plucked ones okay enough now, might stick with the easier version. I lost my thumb nail which is just freaking super. It's gone to the nail bed. Might try thumb pick this month. Might try a guitar pick? Need to see.

Treating Down and Out as a second challenge with a tentative: Post where I'm at, around the end of the month thing.
Hopefully no one makes fun of me in here or i'll delete them.
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Acoustic Guitar -

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 09:04:34 am »
02-13-2020
My dog thinks I am terrible at guitar, or she's acutely aware the acoustic sounds out of tune.
Practiced since last post with frequent breaks, dinner etc. Got the basic chord progression I think? The two little riffs are super fun. Forgot the last G has that change to fret 1. So it didn't get in there at all. Should have made a chord diagram for it. Having a hard time with the D7. Everything just stops dead there while I try to remember what to do. C isn't a shape i'm used to still. Just kind of smushing around on the strings with the rhythm to make it sound bluesy. Didn't do the bass thing on the D7 either.

Friend is thrilled i'm learning this "Easy" song... He said it then stuttered and changed the subject fast lol! but is all excited to learn the F#Diminished and a couple "new" chords to him... He's humoring me but that's okay. He wants to get me, and his two friends who are just learning guitar together to teach us chords. Not sure how that's going to go.

Time for uke.. Kind of dreading jumping into the song. Not done with the coarse. Won't have hope remembering the arrangement if I don't.

Acoustic Guitar -

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 05:46:50 pm »
02-14-2020 Valentine's Day. Still feel absolutely rotten. Cold seems better then I feel worse.

Got the picking pattern mostly down. The last A7 in the sequence I play strummed.  Recorded myself, sounds really out of tune on the broken acoustic on the D7 and last G. -Super cringy out of tune. Kind of fitting for the song though.

Haven't gotten comfortable enough yet with the sequence's chord changes in all places to be able to try it in any kind of timing yet. Might post a clip on progress.

Uke - Bleh. Having a hard time with artificial harmonics on the chord shapes. I don't have the pinchy movement or the light sweep across the strings, down. it's really hard to use the thumb pick!!!!! Wish I had enough thumb nail to pluck with! He says we don't need to play the harmonics on the chords if we can't, but i'd like to be able to do it. 😕

Acoustic Guitar -

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 09:42:12 pm »
Not quite sure what you mean by harmonics on the chords, do you mean touched harmonics 12 frets above the fingered fret? I can’t imagine them being easy on a purely acoustic uke, not too bad on an electro! What size uke are you using, my tenor electro is low G with all fluocarbon strings - a Living water custom set! I’ve got a Sop, concert, 2 Tenors (low and high G) a bowl back baritone and a bass; got a bit carried away 😂 - then there’s the Guitars.................
Will have a look see if Taimane or Cynthia linn has done anything on harmonics!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2020, 03:17:21 am »
02-14-2020
This is where I'm at with it so far.. I chopped a section. No effects except some eq to get rid of hiss. Didn't spend time on eq because it's practice anyway so....

https://soundcloud.com/user-468191094/nkywydaoprac02142020

Darrell it's just one of the February challenge songs for the uke site I belong to. Amazing Grace done in harmonics. It's all good. I'll get it sorted out. I play a low G t tenor. You have an assortment!!

Acoustic Guitar -

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2020, 07:07:42 am »
Twilight, this is sounding really good ... excellent progress so far. Well done.

You mentioned hiss and using EQ to reduce it.  How are you making the recording?  Another option to reduce hiss is to use a noise filter, that is the way I do it.  Depending on you are processing the recording you may have one available.  And depending on how you are making the recording there may be tweaks to make that would help reduce the hiss.  I'm no expert, just a regular member here, but happy to share my experiences on the recording if it will be helpful.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2020, 07:53:57 am »
02-14-2020
This is where I'm at with it so far.. I chopped a section. No effects except some eq to get rid of hiss. Didn't spend time on eq because it's practice anyway so....
https://soundcloud.com/user-468191094/
Darrell it's just one of the February challenge songs for the uke site I belong to. Amazing Grace done in harmonics. It's all good. I'll get it sorted out. I play a low G t tenor. You have an assortment!!
You did pretty well there, a few hesitations but hey you’ve only been playing guitar for a few weeks!

Ah you’re on Rock class 101! I used to be on there a couple of years ago, I got a bit frustrated with it because being a pensioner I couldn’t afford it in the end. I tend to go between Cynthia Linn and Bernadette teaches music, both are very good at what they do.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 12:55:28 am »
02-16-2020
The website is experiencing issues and people really want to get in, so i'm just practicing the song and scale until things settle down.

I got some gift certificates on Amazon for Christmas and decided to take a leap of faith on a plain black Kay acoustic that was originally around $100 but marked down as having "Small cosmetic imperfections on the body." by Amazon for less than $50 with tax... (That could mean anything, but you can't ask about it, they just send it)

I figured I can check it out, if it's in really bad shape or whatever, I can return it. Scratches and dings don't bother me. It kind of looks like the mass of different brands of super cheap acoustics floating around on Amazon since it comes in colors that look identical. I'll find out in 3 days. Kay apparently supplied Sears and Penny's etc. back in the day, and reissued a bunch of vintage models so may it will surprise me. Got to be better then the one I have now as long as it's neck isn't falling off too, lol.

Not much improvement on the song but it's fun to play.

Acoustic Guitar -

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 03:11:27 am »
DavidP - Any advice for recording is welcome always! Don't use the practice thing as an example though. I didn't spend time on it because it was just what it is. I'll look for a noise filter though. I am using FL Studio. (I bought it btw. Needed saying.) I tried to do something like sample the noise in the beginning then activated it, and it took out nearly every frequency in the track lol!! Including everything I played except something ridiculous like one string!😂😂  Needless to say I hit undo. 😂

I'll look into it more. Till then the eq works okay.

I usually just throw the parametric eq on the master channel after recording and pull the frequency numbers around until hiss on the high end two frequencies are gone and woofy bass residue that shouldn't be there disappears. I use FL's parametric eq 2? I think.

Acoustic Guitar -

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 04:35:11 am »
It's not a joke! Picks definitely disappear mysteriously when they fall on the floor.. Lost yet another one... I give up. I've never found any of them. Not even in the vaccume.

At almost a dollar each pick, I might as well have played $12 in scratch off lottery tickets.... I even bought the brightest colored ones they had so I couldn't miss the darn things on the floor! Martin and Tortex are the brightest the shop had... Bought by color this last time.

I even checked legs of the furniture just in case they bounced and landed standing up like soldiers...

Acoustic Guitar -

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 06:47:19 am »
DavidP - Any advice for recording is welcome always! Don't use the practice thing as an example though. I didn't spend time on it because it was just what it is. I'll look for a noise filter though. I am using FL Studio. (I bought it btw. Needed saying.) I tried to do something like sample the noise in the beginning then activated it, and it took out nearly every frequency in the track lol!! Including everything I played except something ridiculous like one string!😂😂  Needless to say I hit undo. 😂

I'll look into it more. Till then the eq works okay.

I usually just throw the parametric eq on the master channel after recording and pull the frequency numbers around until hiss on the high end two frequencies are gone and woofy bass residue that shouldn't be there disappears. I use FL's parametric eq 2? I think.

What I find works for me is to be as silent as I possibly can be after hitting the record button for about 10-15 seconds.  Then I use that silence to set the noise profile.  So far that approach seems to work out OK i.e. doesn't eliminate most of the recording.  I have Waves XNoise filter so maybe it works differently to what you have packaged with the DAW?

Good idea to take out the woffy bottom.  I use a High Pass Filter for that.  I have a really simple one standard with the DAW.  I dial it up high so that the guitar sounds super tinny then move the frequncy lower and lower until the point where the guitar sounds right ... usually around 100khz.  Do the same for the vocal.  I record the guitar direct with built-in pick-up and the vocal with a mic, both through an audio interface into the DAW.

Not sure how you are recording.  If you have a DAW I assume at least a single mic via either an AI or USB ... but assumption can lead one astray.  Irrespective if a single track or recorded with a phone I would think both of the above should work and may be helpful.

Look forward to the next version of the song ....

Offline Twilight Storm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2020, 07:22:29 pm »
Maybe the silence wasn't long enough? I was only leaving 3-5 seconds before the track. Next time I get it set up i'll try the 10-15 seconds and post the results. I was using whatever is built into FL Studio itself. It's not a plugin. I'll see what the FL manual says again. My ambient noise floor is pretty spectacular though.

Acoustic Guitar -

Get The Forum As A Mobile App