Author Topic: Twilight Storm's Road Case  (Read 19578 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Twilight Storm's Road Case
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2020, 07:25:10 am »
I do like the blend of life and learning you cook up for your RC updates Becky. Sounds like you are exploring and progressing.  Dare I say, eagerly await hearing you play again ...

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2020, 04:54:42 am »
David the computer's updating right now. I'll record Steady Thumb but i'm rusty so not the performance I had planned for the thread. I'm not worrying about my noise issues today. I still have issues with my left sinus and ear going on. I'll get something up. Nothing impressive has happened with my playing though. I've just been exploring. Had some mini breakthroughs where more pieces of the puzzle are fitting together with how stuff works.

Edited to add: I had trouble posting, my friend just randomly dropped by and gave me a mikes hard lemonade. So that should help me not care and just post something hopefully lol. Been a while since I had alcohol. I'm pretty buzzed off this one so far and i'm only half done. Let's see if I can play buzzed. Why not.

Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2020, 08:10:26 am »
Edited to add: I had trouble posting, my friend just randomly dropped by and gave me a mikes hard lemonade. So that should help me not care and just post something hopefully lol. Been a while since I had alcohol. I'm pretty buzzed off this one so far and i'm only half done. Let's see if I can play buzzed. Why not.
I know that feeling well, I’ve just come off all the meds for my Fibro and had my first few drinks for a long long while, oh the bliss of an ice cold beer (tube?). Strange feeling isn’t it 😂 p.s. love that term Buzzed 😂😂😂

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2020, 01:24:12 pm »
Just to keep going, to keep learning, practising is something Becky.  Consider how many people start and fall away.

And as much as I want to hear you play again, make a recording when you are ready, of whatever you feel happy to share (noting that for us here in the Community, I think we'd always wish we could have played whatever we post better  :o )

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2020, 09:56:22 am »
I recorded trying to jam to backing tracks... Except the backing tracks were youtube backing tracks, and I have no idea how to record into the DAW from youtube so it's fairly worthless sounding one sided.

I wasn't really using a scale shape most of the time because I haven't done much of any, except one position of major, a natural minor position, and a blues/ pentatonic shape. I was mainly hitting stuff that sounded fine though. I can't do anything long, fast. I just pulled off some trills, slides etc. It made for some okay newbie licks/fills? to the melody line I was playing. Again I was mainly playing what the vocalist would probably be doing... Not sure what i'm missing here, but I still don't have anything going on that i'm happy with particularly. I'm getting better at figuring out "vocals" though without lyrics... Considering I don't sing...

I suck at using the high e and b string... Go me. :/ The rest I can pull off stuff that sounds okay-ish considering I don't get to work with backing tracks much since I have to play through the computer.

Worked on Two Djinn, Dust in the Wind, and memorizing fretboard notes.

I'm going to work on the ear training app and do some Quizlet flash card match games on fretboard notes before I sleep. My back is still killing me, it's freaking hot and humid in the house at 3:30 am, and I can't sleep... Outside is super buggy, or i'd just sit out there. Regardless, bleh.

David- Congrats on being able to grab a pint. I wasn't aware "buzz" wasn't universal! Even our "drink responsibly" commercials use the term. 😁 I enjoyed being kind of drunk, but alcohol works to make me not inspired, and not want to play. I'd rather smoke a little weed personally. The buzz is lighter, I stay inspired, and it doesn't last seemingly, FOREVER, like alcohol does on me. Just personal preference and how i'm effected by the two things.

Anyway going to hit Justin's ear trainer, and Quizlet and hopefully sleep. 👍

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2020, 10:14:58 am »
Becky

You can convert Youtube to mp3 and then load the track into your DAW. I use this converter from
dvdvideosoft.com

https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-to-MP3-Converter.htm

All you need to do is drag or copy the Youtube url into the application and hit the convert button. You can also select other audio file types if you prefer.

At one time their download and conversion apps all used to come in the Free Studio bundle but they have hived them off into different app over the last few years. But I just had a quick look and the "bundled" software is still available

https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm

Great for converting mkv videos to mp4 or avi so they can be viewed on a not so smart TV.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2020, 10:59:39 pm »
Toby- You rock! Thank you!

I downloaded free studio accidentally on my tablet, lol. Lots of good it will do me there! 😂 Got my mind together and sent a link to my email. I'll install all that and see if i'm smart enough to work it tonight. Looks like it has video stuff in it too.

I only have the Zgame Visualizer in FL Studio... Which is pretty freaking awesome, but kind of boring when you don't have something driving it to do it's movement thing... (Ahh, when I learn how to make a song in my DAW... *wistful stare into the distance*)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2020, 11:15:07 pm »

Becky

Give me a shout if you need any guidance as I've been using it for years and eventually bought premium about 18 months ago. Its is fairly intuitive but there are lots of options. My wife has health issues and has to rest a lot so downloading TV series is a must. Having a tool that converts some formats so I can load them to an external drive that plugs into our TVs usb port is a god send. And for me video to mp3 or yt to mp3 is also a bonus.

Cheers

Toby
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2020, 09:09:17 pm »
Toby- I got rid of Free Studio. When it told me I reached my download limit for the day after not successfully downloading anything. (I stopped the download once after a few hours? It nwver completed.) It said it would go slow, but seriously... I got mp3's on dialup faster back in the day, lol.

It pointed me in the right direction though. I found a website that converts videos to mp3's in seconds after a disclaimer not to do it to copyright stuff. Then I just drag it and drop it in a track and set the track number in the sampler. 👍

Playing around with it now :)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2020, 07:15:34 pm »
Haven't done much formal practice still. Met a guy through my friend who says he's worked professionally in sound. He plays guitar and sings great and he's nice from what i've seen. However he's going through horrible circumstances currently. I am not about to ask him for any help. I wish I could. I can't even try to jam with them. I got shut down immediately before I could try to play anything, with no hope of trying to jam under them, or even learn anything from him, both times I was invited in. I'd like to try again if I get the chance before he goes back. I wish his circumstances would improve though. I went through that recently too. It's awful and there's nothing I can do for him.

Showed my friend the bass movement thing. He didn't seem impressed particularly, there was really loud background noise though. It could've been that. I'm going to record it anyway. It was kind of a breakthrough for me.

I'm having more issues with recording. The backing track overpowers my guitar on playback even with the track turned way down. I tried cloning more guitar tracks. I don't think they were playing for some reason? the added tracks should have boosted the guitar volume. Again, everything sounds okay, like I set things up, while i'm actually recording. I'm not doing something correctly setting things up, obviously. I just have no idea what i'm doing wrong setting up the project.

My friend's daughter wants to quit violin. She says she isn't liking the practice and how hard it is. It wasn't making her happy. I asked her if she remembers what made her want to do music to begin with, and what it is that she loves while playing it. Music calms her down. (I get that. I get away from thinking about everything life is throwing my way and go there.) She loves theatre. She got very passionate when she started talking about theatre. She said she likes singing, and likes the teacher for chorus in school. I suggested she do what she loves. Singing should help her in every aspect of music no matter what she chooses to do later. So will theatre. I think the acting is great. I wanted to try a workshop downtown Chicago. They have really great troops downtown. I never got to even see the play she was in, in school, because of the pandemic. :( She's going through a lot emotionally, early teen+ stress at home. She needs to do something that brings her up to the animated, excited, passion I heard in her voice and saw, while she was telling me about Hamilton and her teacher, who is a taskmaster for music because HE'S passionate about singing....

Other than that, and multiple people tripping out over my shoulders asking "What IS that?!" (I don't think wearing just a tank top is a good idea for me in public anymore.) Life is just giving me the bird over the one thing that's keeping me happy, thank you "sound guy" for bringing something to my attention I wasn't aware of. If I can get that taken care of I might be a little happier. 💖

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2020, 05:04:11 am »
 Becky, you are a gem!!! I just love your narrative!!!
I’m going through withdrawal from the last one of my Fibro meds at the moment and it’s no fun but you have just made me laugh so loud my Mrs came running in and asked what all of the commotion was about 😂😂😂
Don’t let anything get you down, remember you can and you will - when you’ve learned how. Forget about leaps and bounds, Mr Snail still gets there! Keep plugging away at it and all will be good!

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2020, 02:23:54 am »
Darrell you're awesome! lol. Tell the Mrs. Sorry!!!!! From me. 😉 Glad I could cheer you up though. 💖 Withdrawal is no fun. Hope you get back to feeling normal soon. 💖
----

I couldn't sleep last night so I eventually sat outside with my unplugged electric and was trying to figure out parts of songs until like 3 or 4 am.

Because i'm insane, and i've been relatively successful with the theme from St Elsewhere by David Grusin I was trying to play as much of this as I could by ear along with the recording. I was actually excited over being able to get at least the basics of a bunch of non chord parts. I am getting a lot better going right to notes on my fretboard too!!! I make mistakes but i'm within a half or a whole step 80-90% of the time on most notes I go after. When I nail notes cold without thinking and just go to it, it feels awesome! I was doing great last night imo. I felt like yelling a version of "heck yeah" if I REALLY wanted to tick off my neighbors even more. I intended not to bother anyone, but the tablet was pretty loud... I realized when windows started closing lol. Oops, Sorry people. I thought I was safe acting like an idiot unseen. (and yes, I was was standing out there really getting into the groove, trying to play jazz in the middle of the night. LOL!) I had fun though. I don't normally make noise anyway. I should get a pass every once in awhile.

Because of where it was on the fretboard, a mistake led to the riff to No Rain (I forgot who did it offhand.. The tap dancing bee girl video.) Then I worked on Two Djinn more as a "what do I remember" exercise because it's difficult for me with the strumming. I got sucked back into Wes Bound because it's awesome, and I ended up seeing how far I could get with No Rain because it's actually really fun to play. (One finger wonder melodies still btw, when I say i'm figuring something out... but I do add embellishment and slides to try to match the recording if i'm close to what's playing. Definitely recognizable as the song bits even if it isn't perfect. I still don't know enough, or can hear well enough yet, to get things fuller and "correct." But still, yea!

I think I figured out what went wrong in FL Studio. I was mucking with settings when I had the Tiny Terror noise problem. I checked trouble shooting stuff online and I think I know what's wrong. I'll test it soon tonight. I have my fingers crossed because it's SO frustrating.

With luck i'll have have something recorded finally.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2020, 06:31:29 am »
Hey Becky, thanks for your good wishes! Mrs sends hugs for making me laugh, it’s good for me, but not when I’m drinking tea or coffee 😂
Wesbound and Lee Ritenour are ace, he’s on my Spotify list now! I guess that track was influenced by Wes Montgomery, another of my jazz favourites. If your interested look Sandra Sherman Guitarversum on YouTube, her tuition vids are ace!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2020, 02:37:45 pm »
Just a quick note to say:

I'm still here, reading every word, Becky.  I smile, cry and cheer every step of the way with you.

Chicago ... I spent a couple of days in Chicago many, many years ago after a business trip, visiting a cousin. We did a comedy club and a baseball game at Wrigley Field.  Pity the sporting event was the Cubs rather than the Bulls.  And greater pity that my cousin never took me to the part of Town where the blues clubs are ... that would've been better than comedy and baseball (or basketball).

Hope you come right with the DAW ... can't help with FL Studio as a Reaper man.  Cause I'm looking forward to hearing you play again, when the kinks are ironed out.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2020, 05:51:05 am »
I fixed it!

This is El Sucko, because I don't normally use backing tracks, but it's successful in putting a backing track with something i'm recording. I'd like to think I could do better if I gave it another shot.... Learning scales would help too. I was just thinking vaguely major and minor, and found some interesting results by messing around with moving 3nps, notes up and down up there. Need to double check that i'm not crazy, and what I found works before I ask about it.

It's painful to listen to btw you've been warned, but it's proof it's fixed. I'd suggest fast forwarding to 2:30 or so if anyone subjects themselves. It took a bit to get going with the backing track. Picked a slow Jazz just to see what happened.

https://soundcloud.com/user-468191094/oppsriddenimprovtest

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2020, 06:26:38 am »
Wow, I really enjoyed this, I think that you’ve not got enough juice on your improvisation over the backing track. Also I really liked the chords used, this needs lyrics and a voice - it would make a great collaboration for someone like Lynne Redrhodie

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2020, 09:36:26 am »
Thank you for being kind... but it's not staying ;) I'm just thrilled it works now. No screeching noise, no sudden surprise changes between recording and playback...

The backing track was the first jazz one in the list of "slow backing tracks" for me, but here's the track if you want to mess with it too: (I didn't bother with giving it credit because it was going away)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2020, 09:39:21 am »
Bravo on sorting you DAW issues.

The backing sounded good and like Darrell said, I think the backing level needs to be pulled down and your play lifted up. From what I could hear, the notes had a sweet tone, but it was so buried by the backing that I really can't appreciate it.

So please pretty please, adjust the levels in the production and re-share it.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2020, 11:08:30 pm »
Lol, I can give it another go tonight. Seeing what kind of melody I can come up with on the fly is pretty fun and the basic track is already set up.

It was more just screwing around and yelling "Finally!!!!!!"

I planned on going back on the reservation today with something structured, rather than just doing whatever I felt like doing. I

So it will be after that.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2020, 12:26:31 am »
Hi TS, sounded pretty nice, but as previously stated your lead guitar was a bit low in the mix. Really nice backing track selection too, Dm is a great key to jam to. I had a doink around with that backing track for a few minutes on acoustic, there's a real sweet spot on the G string around the 12th fret -- which is outlined very well in the fret board chart of the backing track. If you explore the scale tones on that G string, you'll be having more fun than just a little. You may even develop a riff or melody up there. :)   

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2020, 04:27:21 am »
Yeah, I redid the track. I had about 4-5 takes done. There were some really nice bits in each of them I liked.

I woke up today and loaded the project and the recorded tracks were empty of waveforms. So I said wtf and re-recorded another few takes figuring I'm more familiar with it, not a huge deal... (I saved it btw, each take.) Closed the project and they're all straight lines again.

It has 100 steps to go back in undo. I hope they're there. I can't figure out how to look in the undo menu, but i'm done for now.

The new takes were better then my first shot. (Above) I'm way to stressed out to fight with this anymore.

CT- Yeah, I start at 12. Also a good spot by 22 for treble and down by 5? for bass. I was trying to do call and response phrasing in a couple takes. (Stll one finger wonder)

I actually learned when to switch pickup positions today with this, so that was pretty invaluable.

But wtf happened to my tracks..... It says it's loading .wav files when I open it.

I just opened my email and got my BBC Symphony Orchestra from Spitfire Audio! There's one good bonus. It sounds great from the review of it someone made. I got it by going down the free road by doing their questionnaire, so I had to wait however many weeks for it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 04:46:05 am by Twilight Storm »

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2020, 06:56:58 am »
Becky,

I don't know the DAW you use, but it may work if you use your file-explorer to find the folder where the project is saved, which, in my case, is also where the .wav files are saved after recording. And if the tracks are empty, goodness knows why, maybe you will find the inidividual recorded wav files in the folder.

BBC Symphony Orchestra sounds interesting. And a free route.  Sounds like a route I should explore myself.

Hope you find the missing files ...

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2020, 09:40:23 pm »
I got the BBC Orchestra Discover installed. It sounds really really good! 💖 I have nothing to compare it to other than the stuff that came with my DAW, and the difference in quality between the samples is night and day. (Thanks Spitfire!!)

The horns, oh my god. 💖 One of the horn notes specifically captures that change in breath and pressure between registers. (?..) I don't know what it is, I can just hear it, and it's beautiful.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2020, 05:17:30 am »
Whatever happens in upload to soundcloud boosts volume. I panned the garbage im playing right. If it's too quiet I don't know what to say. It's a new one. I can't get the other wav files to show up. But yeah another attempt at using that jam track over the fretboard. There's mistakes still.

https://soundcloud.com/user-468191094/jamtracktest1
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:34:04 am by Twilight Storm »

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2020, 05:57:47 am »
So I found the track, Becky, a little thing like no link won't stop me  ;)

You have a lovely tone going, follow the movement of the track, lots of sweet phrases, repeated notes, slides. Maybe could experiment with a few more pauses or notes held longer. All in all mellow and relaxing, a good vibe. Definitely a new use of the word "garbage" to me, maybe it is a Chicago thing  :P

On the mix, much better. I think you could still drop the level of the backing track more. But this time I could hear you better. Maybe keeping your track centre and panning the backing might work better?

As for SC, things do sound a little different streamed from SC compared to the wav you render from the DAW but wouldn't expect it to change the balance of the mix.

As for the missing wav files, did you try looking at your DAW's settings to figure out where the recorded files would've been stored on the file system?  It didn't sound like you inadvertently deleted them?

Lovely way to start my day, listening to your jam ... good vibes  8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App