Author Topic: Twilight Storm's Road Case  (Read 20264 times)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 186
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: Twilight Storm's Road Case
« Reply #175 on: April 08, 2021, 11:01:19 am »
Becky

Always agreed and looks like you have all sorts of fun and some of it not so ho ho fun ! Keep it coming.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2021, 01:11:26 pm »
Thanks for the update, Becky.

No recordings ... guess you got some sleep which sounds like a good thing.

Look forward to hearing some slide when you are ready.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2021, 04:08:00 pm »
CT mentioned playing slide on his ovation, which gave me the bright idea to try to turn this guitar into something like a lap steel. lol. I'm just not sure I can get a premade saddle high enough. (I'm not trying to make anything from a blank with no tools.)
Thanks for calling me out on playing slide! I have some work to do. :(

I had a couple of good romps with my Ovation on slide, in open G, and then went to plug it into the AI and got a bunch of snap-crackle-pop noises. Most likely old/bad 9v battery mojo at play. The Ovation battery is inside the preamp housing -- which means a string change and then go fishing deep into the heart of the guitar. While the guitar is dismantled (just to change the stinking battery!!), I need to add the shims back under the saddle. I took the shims out to lower the action and it's still too dang high to function as a player, so I need to raise it higher and dedicate it to slide. This guitar also has a lot of fret wear and has been with me a long time. I just can't part with it because it's a huge part of my guitar journey.

You may want to take a look under the saddle, on your next string change, and see if you can shim it higher as well. I can't advise on what to use as shims, my guit came with a couple of shims made of a bakelite type of material.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #178 on: April 10, 2021, 07:08:52 pm »
CT- Hmm. Just loosen the strings? I have my strings pulled to each side, kind of hooked over the machine head post closest to the nut on each side, so I could get the nut and saddle off without needing new strings. (And without messing with the string pegs at the bridge, because i'm concerned I won't get them back in right.)

That sounds like a big pain though to change a battery! I'm not calling you out btw lol.
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #179 on: April 10, 2021, 09:29:35 pm »
CT- Hmm. Just loosen the strings? I have my strings pulled to each side, kind of hooked over the machine head post closest to the nut on each side, so I could get the nut and saddle off without needing new strings. (And without messing with the string pegs at the bridge, because i'm concerned I won't get them back in right.)

That sounds like a big pain though to change a battery! I'm not calling you out btw lol.
No worries. Strings are cheap and I have ham hands. My hands aren't small like this guy:

His guitar is a different model, and I know it was a beast to do this on my Balladeer model from the early-mid 80's.

Also, I need to remove the strings to remove the saddle and put the shims back in. I also want to use a thicker gauge of strings for better slide tone. All signs point to new strings.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2021, 04:14:42 am »
LOL at the crickets in the video. Yeah that definitely looks like a pain CT lol. I like outside access pickups, or possibly the ones you can access right inside the soundhole's edge. 😉

--------
Revisited the beginner course. I remembered I skipped some lessons in grade 2. I had forgotten why. I saw most had to do with palm muting. Like power chords, distortion, etc.... 😞 THAT got me all frumpy so I asked in the forum for alternatives. Doubt anyone will be able to answer, but it can only be beneficial to ask. Someone might know of something I can maybe do. I pretty much accept I can't do some things, but I'm in permanent denial about there being ways around things I can't do.

Found out my strings are filing off brass from my slide. My pointer finger, which mutes behind the slide, came away with black stripes after a lengthy slide session. I guess I have to find a stainless slide eventually.... 👎

Played through Justin's major scale in 3rds lesson, and I like the added bits in his new course for linking the positions together. 👍

Doing the whole fretboard in the trainer this week. Checked to see if Justin's note trainer app was available yet. It doesn't look like it's likely to ever be available, but i'll check every once in awhile. If it's been years since release, i'm keeping "unlikely" as it's status. Not sure why either. *shrugs*

Messed around for an hour or so semi-using my exercise everyone kinda said wtf to. Messed with playing two, fingered notes and moved them around in the wtf key exercise, as well as generally up and down the neck exploring tensions I guess? I really have no idea. A bit of my triad practice seeped in, but still running around blind with a lot.

I still can't play in front of my friends without freaking out some.

Playing in tune has caused me some issues. My only friend who plays, tunes his guitar in a specific out-of-tune way to suit his style and voice. If I play his guitar I can distinctly hear the strings being out of tune, and whatever I play on it, sounds like completely out of tune crap. I think from now on I will offer to play bass with him. I think I can make that work. (not that I know how to play bass, but I can do okay with root notes and chord tones apparently) I haven't tried jamming with him on bass, but maybe i'll have better luck than with guitar or ukulele. He wants to be the focus of attention anyway. I'm more then happy to oblige.

Tonight i'm going to write down the melody to amazing grace and see what I can do with adding chords or something to the single note stuff so I can start to practice using my fingers with the slide. Not sure i'll be successful, at either thing, but i'll see how it goes.

I might go through the skipped lessons here, and jot them down in my notebook.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2021, 06:20:00 am »
Always enjoy your updates, Becky. Not much really to say in reply. We all keep on keeping on, putting in the hard yards to learn the instrument, to be able to express the music that lies within with our instrument(s)

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2021, 04:26:07 pm »
Woke up not feeling great, but I was a little inspired. I was thinking about the song Mouldy Old Dough by Lt. Pigeon.

Side note... I REALLY love that yellow coat in the top of the pops recording that's on youtube. I want one to wear daily. I'd sooo rock it... 😇

Anyway, I started working on the song. I'm having a bit of trouble with the tin whistle part in the beginning. There's a couple of my "brown" notes in there. Which seems insane to me. I don't know if i'm having issues with string tambre, or what. It's frustrating though that I get into a: "There isn't one note on any string that sounds right!" frame of mind, and after playing a million "wrong" notes I can't hear the song anymore in my head. So I have to re-listen and repeat the frustration. I might hold off until I feel better and have a bit more patience, but again, I should take advantage of my inspiration... Bleh.

Anyway it's probably premature, but I think I can actually make an arrangement of this. It's not a difficult song, and is sounding fun so far on ukulele. (Grabbed the uke when I woke up) I am identifying bits of chords too... but not in a particularly lightbulb way, but it feels like it's half progress.

This is the second time I've woken up and figured out at least part of a song lol. At least this time the song doesn't modulate to "wtf is going on?" land like X-files does. I really need to ask about that so I can finish that one. I can't figure out what's happening.

Anyway, I feel awful. Going to go lay down. I'll probably keep working on MOD today on and off. Might see if I can hear the notes better on guitar, donno.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 186
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2021, 07:23:23 pm »
Becky

Blimey been decades since I heard MOD and being of an age I recall watching that TOTP show when it went out on the Beeb !! Be great to hear a finished version. Keep working on that one, can still hear that MOD line in my head after all these years !

Cheers

Toby
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2021, 06:23:10 am »
Love your updates, Becky.

Unlike Toby have never heard of the song and have the briefest memories of TOTP before we emigrated to South Africa in '74, a country that didn't have TV in '74.

Keep on rocking and rolling.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2021, 08:29:21 pm »
Notes:

Find classical exercises for right hand that work coordination that I need

used that Tool inspired thing, I figured out, to warm up. The need to make those motions with all my fingers, not just the one i'm using to hit the bass note, just smacked me in the face. (uses a bass thumb rhythm, hammer ons and requires 2 hits on bass which requires a finger on right hand to come over and do an extra pluck on E, which is a little tricky to do at first actually.) still have to just chop out and export the stupid mps of it here.I

Look into Edison on FL, reference tutorial on bookmarking automatically on, record on play? that would be a really nice feature for speedy editing of takes and fast export.

That also reminded me been putting off accent exercises... maybe do them in an open tuning? Might not want to blow my brains out if they're slightly musical.

worked a bit off Fretjam's new chord melody lesson on youtube today. 👍 Looking forward to the third one. Since chord melody is my thing, (if there's vocals especially) it's nice to find lessons on it specifically, it makes the whole make music while you're learning a bit easier to know kind of what I should focus on.

Oh! Mitch's live stream on arpeggios- THE EXTRA NOTES.. find and maybe finally play what I consider a freaking arpeggio. Donno why more people just don't say 'this is what you're probably hearing, BUT...' when we go 'teach us an arpeggio'.. Is it obvious or something? When *I* asked about arpeggios that partial answer I was given, was just enough to make me wonder wtf I was hearing if it wasn't "an arpeggio"... freaking hell. I was convinced I wasn't hearing "arpeggios" for years because of that.

(really good video on arpeggios though if anyone goes through this, Mt Guitar on youtube, the last live stream, I think, at time of posting. Good information brush up at the very least.)

i'll try to get the above in more today/possibly go into some of the stuff I need to get to, as I can.

---

Friend tried to give me a solo the other night. recognized it as he was beginning to hand it to me. (which is nice I can ID the gesture actually) and my solo was: "Thank you, can't take a solo if you had a gun to my head." and he took it back lol. I wasn't in his groove, he was drinking, I was having 1 beer for 5 hours.. I couldn't get into whatever rhythm he was playing by the time we played anything. Not sure if the different amounts of alcohol factored in, or if it was just a rhythm I wasn't into.

Gotta suck it up and learn the kind of shuffle I hate.... bleh.

My next door neighbor who is stuck in a bad mental loop from a situation, moved forward a little. Sounds like he's trying to move on today. 👍 He talks about what nightmare thing he's stuck reliving, uncontrollably. Part of it's PTSD, part is whatever he has going on mentally. He also talks really loud, so just "not listening" isn't possible most times of day, when he's out. I'm rooting for him though. It's good to hear him attempting, even though he isn't totally sold on moving on yet. My sister is still on me that I suggested he was talking on the phone to him. He liked the idea. He doesn't seem to feel as self conscious speaking uncontrollably with the cell phone excuse, and he lightened up and is friendlier. I don't see any harm with having put it out there. People walking around talking hands free on cell phones do exactly what he can't help doing....

anyway thats my update... oh played more slide. been messing more with Gilmores high hopes solo. by getting farther it's sounding more like it... also tuned my $11 uke in Low G to open G. Donno what i'm doing in open tunings. playing with my other fingers would be a nice bonus lesson if I can find one, it's coming slow. still smack the slide hard onto the strings a lot when going into it. Some fingerings are awkward. I guess thats why people say it doesn't matter what finger you choose for slide. One's gone regardless. Figuring out how to make the remaining ones work in it's place is the trick. Then bringing back in the slide... no loss of brass though on uke because of available  non round wound string choices. (That i'm aware of and can acquire for guitar that aren't over $20 a set)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2021, 08:46:27 am »
You keep on going, Backy, and I'll keep on reading.

Arpeggios ... my understanding ... that would be playing the notes of the chord individually. maybe that is overly simple.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #187 on: April 30, 2021, 08:58:05 am »
Arpeggios are usually about playing the "chord tones". I think this is slightly different from the "notes in the chord", depending on how you interpret that.

When you play a chord you play *some* of the chord tones that are available in that position because, with a chord, you can only fret one note per string.

With the arpeggio you play all of them as there is often more than one chord tone on each string. It more like playing the scale, but missing out the non-chord notes. And you learn them on every string even if the chord only uses 4 or 5 strings

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2021, 09:06:32 am »
Thanks for that extra clarity, Keith. I had noticed that you can play more than one note per string but very useful to state it explicitly.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2021, 07:58:05 pm »
It's International Jazz Day. So happy jazz day to everyone. Decided to listen to some Lee Ritenour and a few of my favs to celebrate since I can't really play jazz properly.

David- I'm seriously one of those kind of people who misses what's obvious to most everyone. An old friend used to be my Captain Obvious back in the day. 💖 Won't ever forget us both being in an altered state once with both of us having 2 glowsticks on strings. Then at one point we both locked eyes and wordlessly both decided to suddenly become all out fire spinners, spur of the moment in the middle of town. (on a busy night.) That was my first experience truly locking in with someone else, and it was a great feeling. I can imagine it's like what it's going to be like playing with someone and locking into the music if I can get a handle on this whole music thing. Our other friends literally drug us away complaining, as people were clapping because we gathered a fairly good sized crowd, who seemed to enjoy it, but in our state we shouldn't have been going "Hey everyone! Come look at us!!!!" LOL! In all honesty it was the correct decision at the time. (always listen to the babysitter/person who is not messed up. #1 rule.) Our groups designed babysitter moved everyone to a forrest so we couldn't attract any more attention from crowds. ✌ 😇

Majik- yup. 👍

Going to try to record that little Tool thing in Edison today. My hope is to post it... It's so short there's no excuse not to, other then chopping audio is my least favorite thing.

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #190 on: May 01, 2021, 08:06:42 am »
Did not know it was international jazz day. I am not a habitual listener to jazz. What I've listened to is that jazz my late Dad loved. If I have to choose, I'd probably pick Django playing with Stephane as the Hot Club of France.

But rather than that, take a look at this video, for a jazzy version of perhaps the most well known song in the world ...

Love the story of a moment of connection, of being totally in the moment, in the zone as folks today might say, when nothing else matters, only what you are doing and feeling in the moment, a moment of pure bliss.

Something to keep in mind and aspire to when making music, either with somebody or on your own, either for yourself or for others to enjoy.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App