Author Topic: Trevor's Road Case (tjc_)  (Read 348 times)

Offline tjc_

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
Trevor's Road Case (tjc_)
« on: April 29, 2021, 03:21:17 pm »
I got a little burnt out and for the past week, I have missed a few days of practice. I also did not record a song last weekend. I doubt I will this weekend either.

If you have ever met a person who seems to become obsessive about one subject - where that thing seems to rule their life, but then moves on to the next thing, and the cycle repeats. That is my personality.

I become obsessed (that may be a bit too strong of a word) about a hobby/topic and then it occupies every free moment of my life for a few months. I then have a period of stagnation where I don't do much until the next thing comes up that occupies my time. This cycle repeats over and over.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a complaint and I don't want anyone to feel bad for me. This personality trait has allowed me to learn to repair a car engine including replacing a transmission, build a 1911, become a pretty good programmer, design and build a computer keyboard from scratch, and now become an OKish guitar player. All of these things I started with only the basic knowledge and through my personality trait I have been able to become proficient.

I really want the guitar playing to become part of my life and not just one of these passing interests. Now that it seems the obsessive fire for the guitar is dying I need to try and modulate my time commitment accordingly. I can no longer spend 3-4 hours (including breaks) of practice a day.

So what is the right balance? I don't know and will be working on finding that over the course of the next few weeks/month. In the meantime, you will see fewer videos from me and I am going to bow out of the Open Mic that is coming up. My guitar playing is not over but my routine will be changing.

Online SS7

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 36
Re: Trevor's Road Case (tjc_)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 03:31:30 pm »
Hey Trevor nothing to feel bad about. I used to be exactly the same way about hobbies until I found my way here. Nothing really kept me interested for long but this community has kept me going and now I can't imagine not playing. Take a well deserved break and if you feel your guitar calling to you one day then you'll find your way back. If not then that's fine too, but do drop by and say hi from time to time :) All the best dude!

Sent from my SM-N985F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 03:42:13 pm »
Oh what a boomer you are doing so well and I will miss your weekly updates! But I completely understand and as Ivan said I wish you will stick around and share your experiences with others from time to time beforw you get back to regular guitar play :) all the best.

Keep on rockin' my friends

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 03:58:00 pm »
Good on you for sharing where you are at, Trevor.

Makes sense to revisit your routines 3-4 hours a day, even with breaks ... that is a lot of time.

If you have really enjoyed the learning and playing ... and based on the videos it appears as if you did ... then I am sure when you ease up, take some of the pressure off, that you'll find a routine that allows you to continue to learn and have fun playing.

Meanwhile, as the others have said, I sure will miss "Trevor here, week n ..."

Oh yeah, and one of the things you achieved was "build a 1911" ... I'm curious, what is that?

Stay well and see you round ...

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 04:25:35 pm »
It happens Trevor and the key thing is to hang in there a little so that when the interest comes back you've still go some of it. I know the feeling as I can also be a little compulsive at times...I certainly struggle to juggle two or three different hobbies at the same time as I like to be good at them.

I definitely had a bit of hiatus on here for a year or so but kept the practice going and then eventually got back into it with new goals.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Everything has beauty, but not everybody sees it.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 04:32:07 pm »
It happens Trevor and the key thing is to hang in there a little so that when the interest comes back you've still go some of it. I know the feeling as I can also be a little compulsive at times...I certainly struggle to juggle two or three different hobbies at the same time as I like to be good at them.

I definitely had a bit of hiatus on here for a year or so but kept the practice going and then eventually got back into it with new goals.

Same here. Happened to me too. Had a hiatus of a year as well, but without the practice (wish i hadn't).
I've narrowed my hobbies down to 2. Music and Linux. And since those two get along fine, i'm happy. Oh and some gardening from time to time, but not too much.  ;)
Ease up on the practicing shedule, i'd say. Give yourself some time to breath, if that makes any sense.
We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 06:25:42 pm »
I will pass along these sage words:
"It's all too much for me to take the love that's shining all around you
All the world is birthday cake so take a piece but not too much"
--George Harrison

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 07:22:42 pm »
I will pass along these sage words:
"It's all too much for me to take the love that's shining all around you
All the world is birthday cake so take a piece but not too much"
--George Harrison

Oh yes - that song. An oft overlooked classic.

@Trevor.

3-4 hours a day at anything is fatiguing. Especially when the initial burst of major energetic enthusiasm wains a little. And, you also have no face-to-face teacher or music mate or study buddy to share and grow with. Everything you have done is borne of a one-man impetus.

Take a vacation only, a short sabbatical, a weekend away, a R&R in a luxury hotel (all metaphorically speaking) to recharge and relax yourself from all things guitar.
Then come back with a reduced expectation, reduced time commitment and a slower, steadier pace. You have set the world alight with your dazzling pyrotechnical progress. Now allow the fireworks to fizzle, the smoke to billow out and the calm to return. From within that space you will strike another chord and make more music.

:)

Clint's quote of course references a Beatles track that was almost lost to the public - it missed out on being released from its 1967 recording until the 1969 Yellow Submarine album.
Here is a cover you may not have heard by The Church.

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 112
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 08:11:11 pm »
You have set the world alight with your dazzling pyrotechnical progress. Now allow the fireworks to fizzle, the smoke to billow out and the calm to return. From within that space you will strike another chord and make more music
This  :)

Here is a cover you may not have heard by The Church.
Ya just had to get another clip in of one of your pets, didn't ya?  :P

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 09:21:52 pm »
Hey Trevor please don’t give up, just slow down. Maybe every couple of months give us a “Trevor here....” It’s been said a hundred times on this forum, this is a marathon not a sprint. In fact it’s a journey that will never end as there will always be something to learn. You’re a young guy, wouldn’t it be great if later on in life you could bring out your guitar and play for friends and family.

Good luck.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 09:39:53 pm »
What if your obsession was to change this life pattern by continuing to play guitar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 09:41:05 pm »
I remember reading that at some Guns n Roses concerts when Axl had a tantrum and didn't come back on stage for later sets Izzy got very concerned that there would be a riot.  I'm wondering what the fans are gonna do when those weekly Youtube vids stop coming out Trevor?  New Orleans gonna get wrecked!

I tried throwing a ton of time at guitar when I started (I've got an addictive personality too!).  I was sure that by investing a ton of time I could nail it in 12 months (it is only 6 strings right?).  Eventually I couldn't hide from the fact that guitar is a huge marathon and going all out to get to the end quickly just meant getting worn out.  Slow progress day after day is very tiring when you throw everything at it.

I don't know what styles you like but at one point I would definitely would have quit if all there was was strumming so I jumped into fingerstyle & obsessed over this piece about 3 months in (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdbGxlKKJKc&t=1538s), it kept me picking up the guitar on a regular basis (even if only 30 mins a day). 

Good luck!  I have enjoyed watching your Youtube vids very much.   :D

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 10:26:30 pm »
... Ya just had to get another clip in of one of your pets, didn't ya?  :P

Ah - how ye know me! :) The world needs more Church in it I reckon.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 12:42:58 am »
I'm gonna do the old hug/slap/hug routine. I'm your Uncle CT, so it's OK. :)

You are making great progress, take it from someone that put down my guitars for a long time, it can be a bad idea and it takes time to work back up to where you were. Analyze things a bit deeper than it's just "you being you." You are already better at grinding away with that fake-ish sounding app than I could ever be. Kick off the training wheels. You've got the chords under your fingers, break away and start playing some songs without the app, and sing! Singing makes the music make sense. It's the point of it all. You'll become a better player by singing.

Maybe it's all hugs for you, and the slap goes to that plinkity-plinking app. Drop that thing and start playing music on your own or with a metronome or backing track.   

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 01:28:52 am »
I got a little burnt out and for the past week, I have missed a few days of practice. I also did not record a song last weekend. I doubt I will this weekend either.

If you have ever met a person who seems to become obsessive about one subject - where that thing seems to rule their life, but then moves on to the next thing, and the cycle repeats. That is my personality.

I become obsessed (that may be a bit too strong of a word) about a hobby/topic and then it occupies every free moment of my life for a few months. I then have a period of stagnation where I don't do much until the next thing comes up that occupies my time. This cycle repeats over and over.

It's clear you have a great love of learning Trevor. Curiosity, an inquiring mind and a zest to achieve are wonderful drivers. They've served you well in so many ways. What I wish for you is more of these, in whatever form of expression you choose.

Live without regret.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 05:28:52 am »

So what is the right balance? I don't know and will be working on finding that over the course of the next few weeks/month. In the meantime, you will see fewer videos from me and I am going to bow out of the Open Mic that is coming up. My guitar playing is not over but my routine will be changing.
[/quote]

Hi Trevor, It was inspiring to see you make great progress each week and it's difficult to keep the same intensity going long term.

I lost interest last year over the summer, a mixture of holidays and frustration with the F chord and before I knew it, two months had passed without playing on a regular basis.

I got back playing by setting myself monthly goals and joining this forum has helped to keep me motivated. Also a bit of GAS helped (I brought some new pedals) .

Time your time to recharge your batteries and hopefully we see you playing again soon.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 186
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 10:28:58 am »
Trevor

I can only echo what other folks have said and that's don't give and move onto something new. You have been making great progress and are an inspiration to not only your peers, the folk coming up behind you but also some of us peeps who've been around a bit and draw down on your enthusiasm.

Take a break and come back at a slower pace, with less pressure on yourself. Take time to reflect on how far you have come and just enjoy playing some toons, alongside a slow trickle of progress and just enjoy you self.

Be great to see you join the audience at the up and coming events, even if you are not playing. Coz you are still part of this here family.

Take care, be well, be safe.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Get The Forum As A Mobile App