Author Topic: 2019/20 cover #48 (The Apartment Song)  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019/20 cover #48 (The Apartment Song)
« on: February 09, 2020, 10:14:57 am »
#48 is from the classic Tom Petty album Full Moon Fever released in 1989. This one looks easy but it wasn't, I had big troubles holding on to the pick while doing the slap strum. Needed to adjust the pick grip and after some practice a little better. Still difficult to make it smooth and solid throughout the whole song though.

Does the slap strum technique look ok to you? Should I try to adjust in my technique or is it just a matter of more practice to make it more smooth?

The instrumental part, Petty plays with 16th strumming. Tried that but impossible, just to fast for me. So I kept the strumming throughout the song (D/U-x/U), x is a muted strum.

The vocals is just to high for me, so please have some forgiveness with the out of tune singing. Really difficult to hit those high notes correctly. I think I would need to devote some time to practice to singing this song separately without playing at the same time.

https://youtu.be/DCqgTB8Zs2g
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 2019/20 cover #48 (The Apartment Song)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 12:23:49 pm »
Think you're making good progress, Johan.  A little inconsistent as you already pointed out but when it is solid I think you got a good precussive hit and blended it well with the strumming.  So I'd say keep going as you are and you'll soon become more natural and smooth doing this.  I liked the way you blended it with your strumming action. Singing commentary is not for me to offer.  I can just say I encjoyed the rendition.

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 10:13:42 pm »
The muted hits were actually something that I liked a lot about your performance. You may have had difficulty in getting the tempo down pat but I thought the hard "click" you generated was very effective.
In the interest of improving my vocals I sing a lot of songs in keys that stretch me beyond my limits so I know the difficulties it presents but I think we're doing the right thing by extending ourselves. No need to ask for forgiveness!

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 07:54:17 am »
Thanks David and willsie for listening and thanks for the input on the percussive hit, seems like its ok most of the time like Petty sings in this one. I think the hit itself is good, but I have troubles to keep the strumming smooth and controlled after I have made the percussive hit.

About the vocals, like willsie says, I really stretched myself in this one. On the good side I think I'm starting to discover my singing voice for those higher notes, I think it was the first time I sang them without using some kind of weak falsetto, there is a little more power in the high notes here. On the bad side, its really out of tune at places, needs much more practice. I think the second half of the song is a little better than the first half.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 09:18:56 am »
Thanks David and willsie for listening and thanks for the input on the percussive hit, seems like its ok most of the time like Petty sings in this one. I think the hit itself is good, but I have troubles to keep the strumming smooth and controlled after I have made the percussive hit.

You'll be fine in time, just a matter of practice.  At this point you still have the hit ever so slightly separate from the strumming action ... almost like you do the hit and then carry on strumming.  In time the hit just becomes part of the strum with the outside of the hand doing the mute as part of the strumming action before the pick hits the string. 

Justin explains it this way in his lessons with Tammy on this technique.  Just keep at it and it becomes more and more natural, like everything else :)  Pick another song that uses it.  Rodriguez songs, like my latest post, sound great with just an acoustic with percussive hits running through the song.  Proud Mary is another though I struggle to keep that one together ...

But I reckon you should be feeling good and positive as to progress made ...

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 02:22:34 pm »
I had forgotten all about this Petty song. That was such a big album when it came out but this song was overshadowed by hits like Free Fallin', I Won't Back Down and Runnin' Down a Dream.

You did pretty well Johan. Those slam strums just take practice. You have a good song for your catalog. It's definitely challenging to sing outside of one's range. I know I've taken on a song or two that really were a stretch for a non-singer like myself.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 05:31:10 am »
Loef,
Nice one! Good driving rhythm with your hand accents... Vocs to me were not as bad as you made them out to be. All in all a fine production!

Keep rockin!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 05:55:18 pm »
The strumming sounds great. The singing got much better towards the end. It sounded like you relaxed. Good job.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 09:37:59 am »
Thanks David, hilts, Lbro and Lynn!

hilts: Glad to remind you of this song, Full Moon Fever has so many good songs even if you skip the hits that you mentioned.

David: I will keep practising this slap strum and hopefully one day I can do it just as good as you. I think I need to adjust my pick grip a little, I use a different pick grip when I do the slap (show less pick) compared to normal strumming. I need to find a grip that works for both. More practice to do...

Lynn: The singing is very shaky in this one, but glad you could here improvement during the song. Maybe I should avoid singing this high, it sounds better a few steps down...

LBro: Thanks for the nice words on this one and also for following my posts here on AVOYP. Only 4 songs to go now in this project, when finished I promise I will not post as often! 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 06:24:45 am by Loefgren »
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline diademgrove

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 08:28:38 pm »
I don't know the song so I couldn't compare you to Tom Petty whilst listening. I liked the way you play and sing. The song sounded very good to me.

I may check out the original and see if Tom petty does any better than you :)

Keith

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 07:45:30 am »
Thanks Keith! Yes you should take a listen to the original its really a cool little song. But please dont compare  :)

I guess you folks are all waiting for #49 ::) I think it will turn up soon. Gonna be Oasis related as it is a Noel Gallagher High Flyings Birds (Noels solo project) song. I have not given up the project of recording 52 songs, but latest weeks has not seen much time for guitar practice and learning new songs  :(   
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App