Author Topic: SB-428 • All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks  (Read 8603 times)

Online sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
SB-428 • All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks
« on: February 08, 2020, 02:40:38 pm »
Trying my hand at this great Kinks song but I can’t get the timing of the lyrics right. I’ve got the strumming beat down pat (but not quite at full speed) however as soon as I try to include the lyrics they don’t fit in to the beat. I’ve studied and studied Justin’s video lesson but when I try it all goes wrong.
Justin plays it slowly but as soon as he includes the lyrics, he’s up to full speed and I can’t keep up.

Then of course there’s that B flat!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:45:48 pm by sairfingers »
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: SB-428 • All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 08:06:18 pm »
Forget about the words until you can play it at full speed, try singing to Justin playing it and when you’ve got both down try doing it together. I have had the same problem with More than words and I don’t try to sing 😂 I just find the syncopation hard!
If you’re having real problems with the Bb then just mute the top E, I don’t think that you actually hear the full chord on the song.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Online sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
Re: SB-428 • All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 11:50:06 am »
Forget about the words until you can play it at full speed, try singing to Justin playing it and when you’ve got both down try doing it together. I have had the same problem with More than words and I don’t try to sing 😂 I just find the syncopation hard!
If you’re having real problems with the Bb then just mute the top E, I don’t think that you actually hear the full chord on the song.
Hi Darrell
Thanks for that tip! I hadn’t thought of just singing while Justin plays. I’ve been giving that a go this morning and it’s definitely helping. The phrasing of the lyric doesn’t sync with the strumming pattern so that’s what I’m finding difficult. 

Regarding the B flat, I’m sticking with the full version as I’ve got to get the chord down and this song is as good a way to practice it as any. The whole song is great for barre chord practice although the E shape up at the 13th fret is difficult due to lack of finger space! I might forgo the 60’s authenticity and substitute A shape barres further down the neck which will give me more practice at those.
I much prefer practising with a song to just slogging away with chords on their own.

Thanks again.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App