Author Topic: SB-428 • All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks  (Read 7516 times)

Online sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
SB-428 • All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks
« on: February 08, 2020, 02:40:38 pm »
Trying my hand at this great Kinks song but I can’t get the timing of the lyrics right. I’ve got the strumming beat down pat (but not quite at full speed) however as soon as I try to include the lyrics they don’t fit in to the beat. I’ve studied and studied Justin’s video lesson but when I try it all goes wrong.
Justin plays it slowly but as soon as he includes the lyrics, he’s up to full speed and I can’t keep up.

Then of course there’s that B flat!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:45:48 pm by sairfingers »
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Getting on with my life now!
Re: SB-428 • All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 08:06:18 pm »
Forget about the words until you can play it at full speed, try singing to Justin playing it and when you’ve got both down try doing it together. I have had the same problem with More than words and I don’t try to sing 😂 I just find the syncopation hard!
If you’re having real problems with the Bb then just mute the top E, I don’t think that you actually hear the full chord on the song.
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Online sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
Re: SB-428 • All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 11:50:06 am »
Forget about the words until you can play it at full speed, try singing to Justin playing it and when you’ve got both down try doing it together. I have had the same problem with More than words and I don’t try to sing 😂 I just find the syncopation hard!
If you’re having real problems with the Bb then just mute the top E, I don’t think that you actually hear the full chord on the song.
Hi Darrell
Thanks for that tip! I hadn’t thought of just singing while Justin plays. I’ve been giving that a go this morning and it’s definitely helping. The phrasing of the lyric doesn’t sync with the strumming pattern so that’s what I’m finding difficult. 

Regarding the B flat, I’m sticking with the full version as I’ve got to get the chord down and this song is as good a way to practice it as any. The whole song is great for barre chord practice although the E shape up at the 13th fret is difficult due to lack of finger space! I might forgo the 60’s authenticity and substitute A shape barres further down the neck which will give me more practice at those.
I much prefer practising with a song to just slogging away with chords on their own.

Thanks again.
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App