Author Topic: Acoustic nut on an electric guitar?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline WoundUp

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Acoustic nut on an electric guitar?
« on: February 05, 2020, 10:14:57 pm »
Went to order a Graph Tech nut for my Strat clone and it uses a Gibson/Epiphone-style nut that's all the way at the front of the fretboard. After measuring, I determined that the closest thing is PT-6060-00, seen below.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PT-6060-00--graph-tech-tusq-xl-epiphone-style-slotted-nut-1-4-inch-black-34.7mm-spacing

Is there any difference in the nuts themselves other than size & shape between electrics & acoustics? Since I couldn't find a direct replacement, I went with the closest I could find to my dimensions, which was this or the PT-6061-00

Am I going to run into any issues? Anything to be aware of before I do this over the weekend? I've watched multiple vids from multiple people on the subject, including StewMac, so I've got a good idea of what's needed. Just thought I'd ask in case anyone knew any tips or tricks or anything.

Am I right in thinking that since it has precut slots, I should sand the bottom down until I reach the proper size for the intended string height at the first fret? Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:34:59 pm by WoundUp »

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Acoustic nut on an electric guitar?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 09:58:42 pm »
And to be honest, as I believe you are a beginner I wouldn't advise you consider changing the nut at this point, you mention in another thread that all seems ok so why fix something that ain't broken?
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 12:36:55 am »
This is cheaper and less likely to get you in trouble!

i
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline WoundUp

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 09:12:24 am »
That was simple. .008 free standing string height at the first fret wasn't cutting it. Fretting at the 3rd gave me maybe .001" between string and first fret. So it was definitely too low. I play with a pretty soft touch but it was still too low for me.

It's a simple process. Sand to proper dimensions and install. Took about 20 minutes. Imo, there was no reason for me not to do it. It's not a $1600 guitar and it'll save me time and money in the future. Now I don't have to take it to anyone, wait for them to do the work while I'm without a guitar, then pay them for it.

Anyway, it's extremely simple and I recommend everyone try it themselves. There's not much to screw up. If a soccer mom can do it on her daughter's guitar(saw the video on YouTube), so can anyone else. Seriously. There's really no reason not to do it yourself, IMO. It's not that involved. Remove the nut, remove the old glue, sand new precut nut to size, and reinstall. Then install strings.

Being an automotive technician by trade, repairing a guitar seems quite simple compared to rebuilding engines and transmissions lol. And there's no chance of doing thousands upon thousands of dollars in damage so the pressure isn't there, either. Being new to guitars shouldn't keep someone from doing their own setups, repairs, etc... Especially if you're not a 14 yr old kid with no experience with anything lol.

Offline WoundUp

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 09:26:41 am »
That is not the correct nut for a Strat or Telecaster, this is https://www.amazon.co.uk/GraphTech-PQL5010-Lubricated-TUSQ-Nut/dp/B00F0SPPMA/ref=pd_sbs_267_5/262-7841296-7835357?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00F0SPPMA&pd_rd_r=3098782f-fe8b-4287-a4f7-a5d53a6f21de&pd_rd_w=O8cr8&pd_rd_wg=y0qwi&pf_rd_p=b7f777ff-40e2-4a42-b29f-72417639c630&pf_rd_r=9KHVFXBV3MER65NKCPVE&psc=1&refRID=9KHVFXBV3MER65NKCPVE

My guitar uses a Gibson/Epiphone-style nut at the very front of the fretboard so it needs something similar to replace it. There's no slot in the fretboard. Its not a Fender/Squier, so it doesn't use that style nut. Maybe the image below will make it clear? I doubt that one is even tall enough, anyway.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:46:11 pm by WoundUp »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 567
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 09:39:48 am »
Congrats on getting in there and doing it. :)

Offline WoundUp

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 10:59:24 pm »
Congrats on getting in there and doing it. :)

Thanks. It was a lot easier than rebuilding a cylinder head, that's for sure  ;D Sounds better, now. I considered the baking soda and super glue trick to rebuild the slot, but with my nut being black and the fact that I don't have anything that could sand/cut/file a slot that precisely, it didn't seem like a valid option.

When I first got it done, I hit the high e and it sounded like a Sitar. I had no idea what was going on. So I sat down, start loosening that string to see if I could find anything at the nut or saddle and the string broke at the tuner as I began to loosen it. I know exactly why it broke and it was nothing out of the ordinary. New strings and I'm back in business and it sounds normal again.  8) and it definitely plays better with the action just a tad higher than it was.

Went from having right at .001"(0.025 mm) string height at the 1st fret when fretting the 3rd fret to .008" to .010"(0.2 mm - 0.25 mm). 8 to 10x the amount. The pic I posted above is free-standing string height and you can pretty much see that high e was sitting almost on the 1st fret. That was no good.

I also didn't glue it in. Maybe I will on next string change. I tried to use 2 drops of wood glue like recommended this time but it seemed to not stick to the nut. I'll try a single drop of CA glue next time.

Offline WoundUp

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 06:21:37 am »
Well just to update this thread, I ended up having issues with the high e string ringing and sounding like a sitar. After trying 2 other nuts with the same part #, it was determined that all of the nuts have the same wrongly molded high e slot. So I ordered the correct thickness nut slotting file from StewMac and got it fixed in about 5 minutes.

The takeoff point wasn't correct so the string was laying in and vibrating along the entire length of the slot. instead of just laying on the takeoff point and the nut slot falling away from the string, it vibrated against the slot and caused the sitar and ringing sounds. Just a bit of filing and all is well.

Graphtech actually sent me TWO replacement nuts when I contacted them about getting a warranty replacement. They sent me the 6060 nut and the other Epiphone nut, the 6061 which is slightly taller and the E to e is about .04 wider than the 6060. Their support guy, Justin, really took care of me and I am extremely grateful for it.

I also purchased a 2nd guitar a few days ago and upgraded to a bigger, better amp already the other day, as well. Oddly enough, I'm already looking at a bigger amp to replace what I just bought because I realized I had a little extra in the budget this week.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 08:33:34 am »
I also purchased a 2nd guitar a few days ago and upgraded to a bigger, better amp already the other day, as well. Oddly enough, I'm already looking at a bigger amp to replace what I just bought because I realized I had a little extra in the budget this week.
Good job, getting quite a collection then! It’s great when you have figured out how to fix things yourself and gives you more confidence to carry on doing more and save yourself money to blow on more goodies 😂😂😂
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline WoundUp

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 10:25:13 pm »
Yea, it is. I can't imagine what it would've cost to have someone fix the nut for me. Luckily the amp I just picked up was only $40 so I'm not really "out" much money. I could always try and sell it, as well. It's a Line 6 Spider IV 15. Got my eye on a Fender Mustang amp, now lol. It's a 1x12 where the Spider is 1x8.

Sometime after that 2nd guitar gets here, one of em is getting hb's in the neck and bridge, I think. I installed 500k pots into my current guitar in preparation for swapping those in when I realized my pickguard isn't a standard Strat pickguard, so I couldn't just buy a new one to modify. This was after I bought one and went to put it on and it didn't cover all of the routing for the pots. The pot routing is just a bit too long for a Strat pickguard to cover it all.

So that put everything on hold and I started trying to acquire another pickguard. Then I came across another Silvertone Strat like mine except with a rosewood fretboard in an auction for almost nothing so I snatched that up for about the price of a custom pickguard from a tracing of my current one. It also has a more traditional neck-to-headstock transition, like a regular Strat does. My current guitar has a nut like an Epiphone so that ramp at the end of the fretboard, before the tuners, isn't there like on a Fender.

You really can't beat that. So I got a new pickguard with guitar still attached lmao
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:40:54 pm by WoundUp »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 12:22:37 am »
You’re doing things like I did when I had a fad on buying stuff from Junk shops, it was quite fruitful for me too! It all adds to the fun of the hobby! This was one of my best finds that with a bit of tlc turned out great, it’s a Terada mij all solid woods Classical guitar, it plays like a dream and sounds wonderful! Altogether including the materials I used in the refurb it cost me £50!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PhQZeB2npJif9l4tlexdydPw4WUNqVom/view?usp=drivesdk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App