Author Topic: 1 Minute Changes Spreadsheet for all 555 changes in Beginners course  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Funkybassman

• Good Vibes 0
First off I would like to say a huge thank you to Justin for the wonderful resourse that he has produced. I recently decided to re-learn guitar as I'm self taught and had bough a new guitar after Christmas. (Sire R7 dreadnaught with zebra pream breakout box).

As J's ethos is "Practice what your poor at..." I decided a spreadsheet would be useful to identify the changes that need work.

The spreadsheet covers all the chords taught in the beginners course except for the power chords.

It uses conditional formatting to produce a 'Traffic Light' system that identifys the weaker changes at a glance

There is also a comment on each chord that can display the chord diagram for the chord (That's why no power chords as your site doesnt have a chart for each chord).

Once you have all 555 changes 'In the green' you can amend the variables that control the traffic light system and 'Raise the Bar' and then easily see which changes need further work.

If you think this might be useful let me know and I can send it to you 

Am I allowed to post it directly ?

Offline Hooked

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Older? Yes, wiser? Good question!
Re: 1 Minute Changes Spreadsheet for all 555 changes in Beginners course
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:40 am »
Bassman, I'd be happy to use that! If you can post, great, if not ill send my email to you in a pm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wire...

Offline Sith_of_Strings

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 07:01:27 pm »
I'd find this really useful too! If you can't post via the forum I'd be happy for you to email me direct. I was actually looking at making something similar myself so will save me some valuable time  :)

Sent from my SM-G960F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 08:43:40 pm »
While I think it's a great idea to be organized about your practice it's really important to understand that you will not need to practice all mathematically possible pairings of chords!!

Many combinations will be useless practice (except for the general increased dexterity it will surely give you) because not all combinations occur in actual music. You will learn more about this later when you dive into music theory a bit more.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 567
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 08:45:11 pm »
+1 to Kasper

There's what's possible and what's useful.

Offline LouisK

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Dazed and confused
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 09:04:59 pm »
Its a useful tool - I just pared it down to the chords I am currently using. Very easy (for anyone with just a hint of Excel knowledge) to add more later. But it did give me a nice start on easier tracking. But then, I live and breathe Excel most days, when I'm not on my bike or playing!
Remember when the music
Came from wooden boxes Strung with silver wire

Larrivee OM-40
Seagull S6

Offline David.t

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 06:56:43 am »
I would like it if you want to send it by mail :)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:55:42 am »
+1 Kasper!

There is lots and lots and lots to learn about playing guitar so you need to be efficient with your use of time so that you can broaden your knowledge, skill and experience. Stay structured and learn what you need to know BUT you wont need all these combinations. If you have time on your hands and are currently good with the changes set by that lesson/stage THEN move on to the next lesson, stage etc.

If you're still struggling then learn some songs....after all that's what it's all about.... and you'll learn to put those changes in to use properly.

Yep a pared down one will allow you to track things but don't get distracted or depressed about not doing most of these. You'll never use them.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 11:11:00 am »
+1 Kasper!

There is lots and lots and lots to learn about playing guitar so you need to be efficient with your use of time so that you can broaden your knowledge, skill and experience. Stay structured and learn what you need to know BUT you wont need all these combinations. If you have time on your hands and are currently good with the changes set by that lesson/stage THEN move on to the next lesson, stage etc.

If you're still struggling then learn some songs....after all that's what it's all about.... and you'll learn to put those changes in to use properly.

Yep a pared down one will allow you to track things but don't get distracted or depressed about not doing most of these. You'll never use them.

The app has this facility to track OMCs based on the recommended changes only  ;D
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 09:40:55 pm »
555 combinations of beginner chords! If I thought I needed all those I’d give up now. Spend your valuable time practising and learning songs and the changes you need for those songs. If a song needs a fast change practice that one, not some combination that you’ll never come across.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 01:27:53 am »
I've been playing for 45 years and I don't know 555 chord combinations
Most songs only have 3 or 4 chords so those are the changes changes
to be practicing.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 01:52:46 am »
There's a reason why 555 chords has never become a relevant practice routine. There are many chords that sound terrible when played together.

Changing chords is but one basic skill, much of which comes from doing and playing songs. 555 chords would be an enormous waste of time.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 02:00:36 am »
Spreadsheet's are for accountants and project managers, they are not allowed in rock 'n roll. Take three of those chords and make some doggone music. Play them as best as you can and get some kind of groove going. Go on now...

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 06:57:31 pm »
Mr Funky Bassman

Much as I applaud your endeavour to set up the ultimate 1MC spreadsheet, please desist. Don't want to pee on your parade but it just ain't worth it. Just like you what seems like eons ago I set up an excel spreadsheet with those countless changes and set myself a task to be able to complete 60 changes a minute for every possible chord change. It did not last long once I got into learning songs, really learning songs. I still maintain a practice spreadsheet, that's just been updated as I kinda have plateaued for a couple of years but looking at the 1MC element of my schedule its never been more than 20-30% completed. And when I analyse it now the ones I ticked off are changers with common chord variations. And as some have said, some combo sound just hideous.

So with the benefit of decades screwing up and heading up one way streets never to return, please just do the 1MC Justin recommends stage by stage and learn songs. When you get a new chord or combo of chords in a song that makes you stutter, just apply 1MC practice to those groups of chords. You'll get more value and knowledge doing that rather cover every possible chord combo.

Do the basics and learn songs. Simples

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline bymbie

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 11:49:03 pm »
I did a spreadsheet with the 25 chord changes Justin recommends at the Consolidation stage of Grade 1. I got to 60 changes on all those 25 today and I think that's good enough for me. Practicing songs will force me to learn the rest, if needed. Cheers.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App