Author Topic: Open Mic update - Jan 2020  (Read 2063 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Open Mic update - Jan 2020
« on: February 01, 2020, 05:07:28 am »
Hi all,

While I don't have any recordings, I thought I would still post up an update to continue to share my experiences, which may be helpful to others.

I performed my fifth Open Mic on Jan 30th.  For those with high attention to detail, yes there was a forth that came and went under the Community radar last year.

Overall I felt this one was maybe my best yet, based on the way I felt.  Previously I have felt a degree of tension in my body and tightness in my breathing.  While it was getting better, this time I felt pretty relaxed throughout.  Still made mistakes so not yet at a level where I can play consistently cleanly though each song without the odd flub, but have come to be OK with this.  I notice others who are far more proficient than I am also make the odd mistake and don't fuss about it nor does the audience seem to mind.

For this "gig" I planned the setlist to build in energy and encourage the audience to join in.  The songs in sequence were ... Going To Be Friends (finger-picked), Whiskey in the Jar and Eight Days A Week. 

Starting with Going To Be Friends may have made sense from that point of view but was the hardest of the three to play and sing. On reflection, that didn't work so well.  Next time I will start with something easier to warm up and get into the swing of things.  Maybe even a higher energy opening, getting quieter and then ending big may be a better plan as well.

I planned to play three since that is the norm and then was asked to play a forth ... that was not too long.  Feeling that need to play a shorter song and not prepared, I picked Wasted Sunsets which was a page turn away in my song file but wasn't quite ready so didn't do it as well as I could. On reflection, plan for an extra song, rehearse it and be ready in case you have that opportunity.

And lastly, the general encouragement here, and from Justin, is that the best performance will come when you know the song fully in memory, without having to really think too hard about the chords and lyrics, it should just flow.  So after my first OM, I decided to stretch myself and play from memory.  And it worked OK.  Nevertheless, I decided to go back to the song file and experiment to see how that might work.  I think removing that extra pressure to learn lyrics to sing from memory was helpful for me.  While being a live performer in a band, doing a show on stage, certainly would require playing from memory and many of the better performers at the OM also play from memory, there are others who have their "crib notes".  So I figure, given where I am as a very much novice live performer, the song file is OK.

I am certainly feeling like I am making progress.  And one of the organisers commented on how good it was that I am playing regularly.  So I guess I am doing just fine.  I was encouraged by the comment and shared with him that my next longer term aspiration is to be invited to play at one of their Big Stage events.  These events are by invite and include 4-5 acts, either solo or groups, that perform a longer set for about 30 minutes, rather than the 15 minute OM slot.  It is in a bigger venue, with a stage and an audience of perhaps 60-100, rather than the quiet private bar for the OM with an audience of maybe 20, mostly other performers. 

And he responded positively, so the journey to that next milestone is underway.  I need just to continue to play the Open Mic regularly, take their feedback when given and I think in due course I will get to the big stage.

And I sit and marvel as I share all this, as to how much as happened in the three years since I started the BC.  Just the best.

So keep on guitaring, and you will achieve your dreams too ...

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Open Mic update - Jan 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 08:24:54 am »
As always, it is great to read a positive story, am update, an encouragement and a source of inspiration David. :)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 01:34:41 pm »
Excellent update! You're learning with each open mic what works, and feeling more comfortable. It sounds like great progress.

I think your plan for starting the next one with something easy and upbeat (I think that's what you mean ) sounds exactly right. Getting the audience into it right away will take some of the pressure off, I bet.

Really glad to hear things are going well. Congratulations!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 02:46:21 pm »
Richard & Lynn,

You are always so supportive and encouraging ... a great blessing.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 183
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 07:35:03 pm »
Thanks for the update. Keep on killing it!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 05:22:32 am »
Thanks for the update. Keep on killing it!

For sure ... till death do us part ...

Thanks for checking in and always encouraging,  Clint.

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 10:11:34 pm »
Nice David yeah I need to get out more im a homebody and stay home alot. I live in a small town so there aint many open mic nights. I have been to some and they gave me free beer LOL. Though ive been sober for 2 years.. it almost killed me.. i was in the hospital for 3 months with pancreatitis. I love music it means alot to me. I did try out for Idol in 2012 and made it through 3 auditions but didnt make the last audition which sends you to hollywood. I changed my song and failed. Plus I dont like cameras on me. Ive only tried out for a couple of bands and they liked my style but ive never been able to journey out playing somewhere. I get nervous. Annnd I have rhythm issues i need to get out more and learn more about playing. Ive always played by myself and done solos and rhythms myself. So im kinda unexperienced when it comes to that. Im mainly a acoustic player and ive tried to find people here to play with but its not happening. Cheers!!

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 11:05:01 pm »
I love to hear these updates David you keep me going.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 11:18:05 pm »
Nice update David. That feeling of playing live regularly is such a special feeling isn’t it?! Looking forward to hearing more from your journey! :)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 08:28:17 am »
Nice David yeah I need to get out more im a homebody and stay home alot. I live in a small town so there aint many open mic nights. I have been to some and they gave me free beer LOL. Though ive been sober for 2 years.. it almost killed me.. i was in the hospital for 3 months with pancreatitis. I love music it means alot to me. I did try out for Idol in 2012 and made it through 3 auditions but didnt make the last audition which sends you to hollywood. I changed my song and failed. Plus I dont like cameras on me. Ive only tried out for a couple of bands and they liked my style but ive never been able to journey out playing somewhere. I get nervous. Annnd I have rhythm issues i need to get out more and learn more about playing. Ive always played by myself and done solos and rhythms myself. So im kinda unexperienced when it comes to that. Im mainly a acoustic player and ive tried to find people here to play with but its not happening. Cheers!!

Thanks for sharing some of your story, Bytron.  I can but wish you well and encourage you to keep at it since all the evidence we have via  your videos shows us how well you play and sing, notwithstanding issues and aspects to improve ... which we all have.

I love to hear these updates David you keep me going.

Glad that they are helpful for you, Gareth.  Good that you keep going since your performances shared so far have been great.  I am lucky in that my son is now 21, so provided I offer to buy the red wine then he enjoys an evening out to listen to some music performed by hobbyists,  I can imagine may be more challenging for you with the youngsters in the house. 

Nice update David. That feeling of playing live regularly is such a special feeling isn’t it?! Looking forward to hearing more from your journey! :)

No doubt, Bala, despite the nerves and stresses, I do love it.  I guess I am somewhat addicted to the endorphins, dopamine etc that gets released in the process.  I get the same when I go to Toastmasters and deliver speeches.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App