Author Topic: 2019/20 Cover #47 (Not Forever)  (Read 978 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019/20 Cover #47 (Not Forever)
« on: January 28, 2020, 06:28:51 pm »
This was a tough one struggled badly with it. Over my playing grade and vocal range, but Justin says it good to push yourself so I did that with this one. Maybe I shouldn't post it, if you are sensitive to out of tune singing don't listen...

Tough chords in the key of B so this one is good bar chord practice for sure. Also struggled with the bridge at 2:15 where I switch the strumming from down-up-down-up to pumping 8's. But really good practice and in this version it works ok without losing to much rhythm.

Anyway I love this song by a swedish indie pop band called Popsicle. Really big in the early 90's and they are still playing some gigs. I am actually happy I managed to play this one, it isn't easy.

Only 5 songs to go, Tom Petty next.

https://youtu.be/FGgseiI7NwM
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 2019/20 Cover #47 (Not Forever)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 02:24:13 pm »
Ha Ha ... I guess I am not too sensitive about pitch accuracy in the singing, Johan, since it sounded OK to me.  The higher pitch portion a little less relaxed than the rest but not enough to upset me  ;D  I thought the playing was pretty good and did OK on the strumming pattern change ... hmmm ... maybe I am not too sensitive to timing either  :o

I saw your other comment abut the terrifying thought of an Open Mic.  I can understand that have been terrified.  Not sure what opportunities you have or have donbe so far, so disregard this if not useful ... the first thing I did was to go to an Open Mic just to listen and watch.  I didn't even take my guitar.  Having met the people, seen the setup and spoken to them about my own playing and aspiration, I felt ready to face the fear.  And as has been said already, just watching your videos, this step is all about the fear, your techncial ability is more than OK.

Look forward to the next 5 songs.

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 02:45:56 pm »
Johan,

the melody in this reminded me of another song but for the life of me, I can't think of what that other song may be.

Like David, I was not sensitive to either your singing or strumming. I thought this mighty fine. It didn't come across as a struggle but then again, I'm not the one playing. Each of us is our hardest critic though as I can relate. I enjoyed listening to this.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 05:15:10 pm »
Good stuff, Johan!

Don't think this band was ever on my radar, but I like the song- There's a Crowded House feel about it  :)
Watching your relaxed barre changes confirms my belief that it will all fall into place- one day
Looking forward to the last in the series- The End, by the Doors?

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 06:01:39 pm »
Very nice Johan, I thought you did a great job playing through all the bar chords, your playing seemed nice and smooth to me. The change in the rhythm was done well too. I enjoyed your performance of this song. 5 more to go, wow, that's quite an accomplishment!

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 12:43:53 pm »
Thanks David, hilts, Brian and Mari! Glad the singing and playing sounded ok to you. This was a difficult one so glad I managed to get it "on tape". Bar chords is coming on quite good now, felt impossible earlier but not that hard anymore  :)

Its a great song and the Crowded House comparison was really good Brian!

Next song I also have some troubles with, easy chords, but trying to use the "slap strum" and some rhythm changes and have problems with the pick spinning when doing the slap strum. Tried it without a pick, but does not sound good. We will see, hopefully I can have it down to an acceptable level within a week or so.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 03:39:43 pm »
All round good performance.
Well done for getting to those notes.
I often face that struggle as well.
Nice rhythm and barre chord work.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 12:39:18 am »
Johan, Nice job on this.   I didn't really see/hear the struggles you spoke of.  You were playing those barre chords well, and was nice to see you doing a little muting with your fretting hand to help the rhythm along.   The transition at 2:15 was good and the pumping sounded good.  All around good performance to my ears.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 09:38:49 am »
Hi,
I like the driving vibe you got going here... Sounds like your falsetto is in good shape up there on the high end. I admire your ability to play so many songs in a short span of learning them. Great job and this is not exception!

Just nice work all around for sure! Enjoyed your efforts too!

Keep rocking in 20, and looking forward to many new posts too!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 07:55:23 am »
Thanks willise, Dave and LBro!
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App