Author Topic: Teacher said next lesson: A song with a solo to learn and analyse in detail  (Read 198 times)

Offline emann

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Hello,

my local teacher has advised that I am at a good stage to find a tune and identify by ear the key, the chords for the rhythm and then proceed to learn its solo.  I did all exercises of the ear course with the transcribe software and was thinking to use this as well for my exercise.  He also advised me to really go into the detail of the solo and analyse what type of scale are the notes derived from and why is the particular scale used.

So my question to you and being the first time I am going to do this, have you done this before any other time and if so which tune did you choose that was challenging but not that difficult to do.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175

So my question to you and being the first time I am going to do this, have you done this before any other time and if so which tune did you choose that was challenging but not that difficult to do.

Thanks.

When I leart how to play there was no internet or transcibe softwear. So I'll say yes
because that was the only way to learn.

Seeing how there is the internet and transcribing softwear I see no reason not to take
full advantage and use it.

As for a song, start with a song you know well and can sing or atleast know the words.
Pick a artist you really like and take your time. Little bits at a time.

I usually start with the finding the Key then start with the hardest part first.
This way you will know right away if you've bit off more than you can chew.
Nothing worst than learning a song all the way up to the hardest part then quiting
because it above your pay grade.

Have you looked at Justin's lessons on transcibing there is a lot of great info to pick
throuh.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 458
  • Teesside, North East England.
Hello,

my local teacher has advised that I am at a good stage to find a tune and identify by ear the key, the chords for the rhythm and then proceed to learn its solo.

Well congrats - that is a sure sign of the progress you must be making.

... He also advised me to really go into the detail of the solo and analyse what type of scale are the notes derived from and why is the particular scale used.
That is some much deeper stuff and I'd see this as an optional extra bonus-type of thing.

I see two possible criterion you could think of applying ...

blues-y ... which means basically a variety of 12-bar chord progression in dominant 7ths or minor in swung 4/4 time or a mellow 6/8 time.
You'd likely be picking a solo using blues scale with maybe other embellishment notes.

Or

Melodic pop-rock perhaps with lots of the classic 4-chord progression liberally sprinkled through verses / chorus etc and a solo that you could easily whistle / hum which gives you a straight forward catchy tune to try and snag in the transcribing.

Offline emann

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Hi and thanks for the input.

I am thinking on the lines of comfortably numb at the moment...a tune that i really like.  I am also fond of guns and roses tunes.

I would really like to mix playing the chords on my acoustic as a backing track and then use the strat for the solo parts.

So do you think that this tune is above is easy to start with...or any suggestions that you may advise are easy from guns and roses maybe.

thanks.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 458
  • Teesside, North East England.
Comfortably Numb is easy chords but the solo is something else ... not so hard to transcribe perhaps but to play. Gilmour uses many difficult bending techniques.
I'm not a big G&R fan so leave any recommendation of them to someone else.

I have had a thought ... something I tried to learn many, many moons ago.

Tangerine by Led Zeppelin.
Fairly easy chords - with a few embellishments and some occasional single note runs.
A short and sweet solo that has a classic structure to it ... melodic beginning, development, crescendo and a flourish to finish it off.

Listen carefully to get your ears past the layers of guitars, the 12-string, lap steel etc and just listen to the movement of the chords. You should recognise them all.

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
Pick a song where the solo is very melodic, where you can hum or sing the lines. Don't go for fast shredding stuff. Comfortably Numb is a good one, and if you like Guns I would suggest for example their version of "Knocking on Heavens Door".

In both cases, to do a bit of analysis on the solos, you should focus on trying to see where the artist targets chord notes from the underlying chord progression... and try to identify use of arpeggios. Both of these two players will sometimes blend those in with the more scalar playing they also do.

Offline emann

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Tangerine...i almost forgot how much I used to love this song.

and thanks also for the Guns and Roses suggestion..yes that is good and brilliant solo as well.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
As already stated Comfortably Numb is not to difficult to transcribe but
David Gilmour is really hard to master. He has such perfect technique.
If you can even get close as your first solo you can be very proud of your self.

Tangerine and G&R Knocking on Heavens Door would  be good. G&R Patience
is another easy solo and has alot of chord embelishment and runs between chords.
The hard part is picking which guitar part to play. Slash plays mostly arpeggios.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
Another easy solo to start with is Smells Like Teen Spirit
The whole solo is played in the middle of the neck and is easy to hum in your head.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App