Author Topic: Epiphone Slash ‘AFD’ Les Paul Special-II or Yamaha Pacifica 112  (Read 1214 times)

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Hi all

Sorry but I'm another of those newbies looking for a bit of advice. I don't have any friends that play guitar that I can go to.
I've bought a guitar a few years back but never put the time or effort into actually learning so it was sold. Now looking to give it a real go, which I'm a bit wary of being mid 40's...

Anyway I've had a bit of a look around and the Epiphone Slash ‘AFD’ Les Paul Special-II and the Yamaha Pacifica 112V seem to be the ones that have decent reviews for a newbie like me.

Anyone got any comments or advice on these?
It seems pointless me going into a shop to ask or to try them as I'd have no idea either way

Cheers in advance!
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Roland MicroCube GX

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Getting on with my life now!
Re: Epiphone Slash ‘AFD’ Les Paul Special-II or Yamaha Pacifica 112
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 04:37:31 pm »
Pacifica 112V every time, Yamaha quality is superb and that particular one is not bottom end of the market by any means. Go for it, you won’t regret it, but make sure you get to pick one up and get the feel of it!
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 05:46:58 pm »
I have a Pacifica 112 and it's a great electric for a beginner. Can't go wrong.

And don't give your age a second thought. I didn't start until my mid-50's. Had never picked up a guitar before that. If I can do it, anybody can.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 06:29:54 pm »
Pacifica 112V every time, Yamaha quality is superb and that particular one is not bottom end of the market by any means. Go for it, you won’t regret it, but make sure you get to pick one up and get the feel of it!

I have a Pacifica 112 and it's a great electric for a beginner. Can't go wrong.

And don't give your age a second thought. I didn't start until my mid-50's. Had never picked up a guitar before that. If I can do it, anybody can.

Thanks gents
Very much appreciate the replies
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Roland MicroCube GX

Offline diggy87

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:10:34 am »
My Dad had a lovely Yamaha pacifica some years ago, he was recommended it over a Fender squier. From what I remember he loved it (it was before I had an interested in playing, I lasted about a month then gave up)

But I guess you've just got to play both and see which feels best for you

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 526
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 07:20:19 am »
Some of this decision may be based on which one inspires you to pick it up and play.
If you've previously given up you want all the incentive to hold your guitar and break through this time to being a player not a tried-&failed.

Which guitar speaks to you?
You've picked an artist signature guitar not just any old Epiphone Les Paul - does Slash inspire you? Are you a big G&R fan?
Maybe the Epiphone will be the one you want then.

Objectively Yamaha quality of construction is consistent although the Epiphone should not be shabby.

They are both very different types of guitars aesthetically - which do you like the look of? Personally I have never liked the look of a Pacifica so wouldn't buy one but that is just me. I'm not a massive fan of 'artist signature' guitars either so I wouldn't go for the Epiphone either ha ha.

The Yamaha has a tremolo bar and floating bridge, the Epiphone is hard tail.  That is a slight difference but no deal breaker for a beginner perhaps if set up nicely and right.

The Yamaha has a humbucker pickup and single coils so could be said to offer more variety when it comes to sound - but as a beginner you'll be concentrating on learning to play so this shouldn't be a huge factor either.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 05:32:58 pm »
I would say the Yamaha, I do like mine.
They are far easier to play while sitting down to a Les Paul and I certainly spend a lot of time sitting while learning.
If you need to look like Slash it can wait until your second guitar.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 05:40:22 pm »
Some of this decision may be based on which one inspires you to pick it up and play.
If you've previously given up you want all the incentive to hold your guitar and break through this time to being a player not a tried-&failed.

Which guitar speaks to you?
You've picked an artist signature guitar not just any old Epiphone Les Paul - does Slash inspire you? Are you a big G&R fan?
Maybe the Epiphone will be the one you want then.

Objectively Yamaha quality of construction is consistent although the Epiphone should not be shabby.

They are both very different types of guitars aesthetically - which do you like the look of? Personally I have never liked the look of a Pacifica so wouldn't buy one but that is just me. I'm not a massive fan of 'artist signature' guitars either so I wouldn't go for the Epiphone either ha ha.

The Yamaha has a tremolo bar and floating bridge, the Epiphone is hard tail.  That is a slight difference but no deal breaker for a beginner perhaps if set up nicely and right.

The Yamaha has a humbucker pickup and single coils so could be said to offer more variety when it comes to sound - but as a beginner you'll be concentrating on learning to play so this shouldn't be a huge factor either.

Although I’d obviously love to be imitate Slash nah it was purely as I had seen it advertised and it’s got good ish reviews. Obviously like Les Paul guitars but not a massive factor tbh

I like everything from Beatles to Metallica so quite a range of music that I’d love to be able to play
Assuming that given that the Yamaha would be preferable and it certainly seems to be favourite both in comments on here and reviews online.
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Roland MicroCube GX

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 10:43:30 pm »
Some of this decision may be based on which one inspires you to pick it up and play...Which guitar speaks to you?
I'd expect either one to be a suitable guitar for a beginner, so this may be the most important factor. You want a decent quality guitar that makes you want to play it, which could include all sorts of factors (including purely cosmetic stuff like they way it looks or the color).

Personally, I'd probably go with the Epiphone. I think the Pacificas are good guitars, but I find them kind of uninspiring. The Epiphone would be a little more interesting and cool, to me. And I tend to prefer hard-tail guitars. But that's just me, and either guitar should be decent, so I'd go with the one that most lights your fire.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 05:46:40 am »
The Pacificas are well made as well as being very versatile. You, effectively, have 8 variations in pickup combinations ( I believe the 112V has a coil-split option) plus you have both single-coil and humbucker tones.

Compare that to the Les Paul, which only gives you humbucker tones, and only 3 pickup combinations. I would say that the Epiphone is a much more "opinionated" guitar, and if your opinion leans that way then it's a good choice.

If it doesn't, and if you aren't yet sure what you want from.a guitar, the Pacifica may be better as it won't limit you so much to a particular sound, and will give you the versatility to experiment and discover what you want.

Having said that, if there is a criticism of the Pacifica it is that it is a fairly bland guitar. Everything about them; their looks, their playability, the tones, is good. But just good, not "special".

As such I think they make a great beginners guitar for most people who, at that stage in their journey, are not yet looking for that "special" guitar. They are great quality, versatile, and playable guitars and great value for their price. In terms of pure "on paper" specifications I would argue it's a better guitar than the Epiphone

On the other hand, guitars are often more than the sum of their specifications. If the Les Paul is "special" for you and will inspire you to pick it up and practice/play more than the Pacifica, then that is the one to go for.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 03:58:51 pm »
Thanks all
Although I do love a Les Paul I think I'm gonna go for the Pacifica 112v. Sounds like it's a great and versatile guitar that'll last.
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Roland MicroCube GX

Get The Forum As A Mobile App