Author Topic: Most recent purchase - random / planned / spontaneous / other ... in 2020  (Read 3477 times)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 169
    • Point Fifty
oh been a while since I've been here.
Meanwhile, I bought a cheap lefty bass for the company band, a Strymon Riverside overdrive and a Wampler Ethereal (delay+reverb)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
I bought another Maton a couple of weeks ago (left)  It's an S808, spruce top, qld maple back and sides and neck.   This guitar has no electronics at all and is full acoustic, light as a feather, sounds beautiful, loves heavy strings.
I also bought myself a few other Covid19 gifts.  Nux acoustic amplifer, bluetooth footswitch for effects and looper etc.  Great little amp and a lot of fun.

I bought a zoom h5 because i had one 3 or 4 years ago and I sold it when i purchased an interface and condensers etc.    Quickly realized that for solo acoustic guitar and for fun recordings for sharing on social media etc the zoom was perfect.  Regretted buy more expensive gear, sold it and have just now got my zoom back.   

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
I bought another Maton a couple of weeks ago (left)  It's an S808, spruce top, qld maple back and sides and neck.   This guitar has no electronics at all and is full acoustic, light as a feather, sounds beautiful, loves heavy strings.
I also bought myself a few other Covid19 gifts.  Nux acoustic amplifer, bluetooth footswitch for effects and looper etc.  Great little amp and a lot of fun.

I bought a zoom h5 because i had one 3 or 4 years ago and I sold it when i purchased an interface and condensers etc.    Quickly realized that for solo acoustic guitar and for fun recordings for sharing on social media etc the zoom was perfect.  Regretted buy more expensive gear, sold it and have just now got my zoom back.   

Guitars, amp, H5 all look beautiful.  You know what comes next ... look forward to hearing some recordings of you playing the new guitar and jamming with the looper.

I get what you say about the H5 vs an interface.  I went through a stage when I regretted buying the interface and wished I'd opted for the H5. Then I got into producing originals with midi instruments and the regret passed, though do sometimes think I could make use of an H5 as well, for the quick and easy playing and singing recordings.

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
    • Instagram
Guitars, amp, H5 all look beautiful.  You know what comes next ... look forward to hearing some recordings of you playing the new guitar and jamming with the looper.

I get what you say about the H5 vs an interface.  I went through a stage when I regretted buying the interface and wished I'd opted for the H5. Then I got into producing originals with midi instruments and the regret passed, though do sometimes think I could make use of an H5 as well, for the quick and easy playing and singing recordings.
Yeah i might just try that David.  I've spent very little time on the looper but the short jams I've had have been great fun.   The new guitar I played in 'song for a rainy morning' I posted.  It's recorded using the built in mics on the zoom.. I think it's a lovely sounding guitar and very different to my other matons which I love.
So I guess if I line out from my amp to the zoom that'll capture a loop session..hmm.  Never thought to record one.   Good idea!

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
So I did a bit of a wander around some of the local guitar shops and wondered if I should get a cheap one to give me something to do in the evenings and weekends (although now that things are opening up here quite a bit, that's not such an issue as it was). It's a bit of a risk as I may not be here for too much longer, but went out to dinner with some local friends and one of them said he would take it off my hands when I leave.

So this is my temporary guitar. It's a low-price, no-name (the brand is "Swing") HSS S-type.  It could do with a setup, and the tuning stability isn't great, but I've changed the strings and it will do to mess around on. I would say quality-wise it's somewhere between a Pacifica 012 and a 112V. So not great, but not horrible.

I also got a THR10ii and a little Zoom G1X Four to use as a drum machine and, perhaps, for the looper. When I go home, the THR10ii is coming with me: I can use that as a portable amp and Bluetooth speaker for my Conservatory and Garden. My friend can have the guitar and the Zoom pedal and use it with headphones, which suits him as his main concern was annoying the neighbours in his small apartment.

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 169
    • Point Fifty

I hear you; bought a H4n once and it's battered and worn from using so much! gigs, rehearsals, recordings, lending it to other people, using it as work to record voicework,...
the combination of plugging in xlr or jacks and using the consender mic, multitracking, interface options, ...all without PC in sight. just a pair of batteries (which last quitel ong) or a power adapter.
I think it's my favourite audio gear EVER! (followed by the Zoom R4 which is basivally a h4n on stereoids with 24 tracks, 8 simultanuous tracks, DAW control etc).
I've been checking out their camera's, I wonder if they would work well for darker venues-> indoor rock gigs :)

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
    • Instagram
I hear you; bought a H4n once and it's battered and worn from using so much! gigs, rehearsals, recordings, lending it to other people, using it as work to record voicework,...
the combination of plugging in xlr or jacks and using the consender mic, multitracking, interface options, ...all without PC in sight. just a pair of batteries (which last quitel ong) or a power adapter.
I think it's my favourite audio gear EVER! (followed by the Zoom R4 which is basivally a h4n on stereoids with 24 tracks, 8 simultanuous tracks, DAW control etc).
I've been checking out their camera's, I wonder if they would work well for darker venues-> indoor rock gigs :)

Definitely my favorite bit of audio gear also!  If it could make calls and send texts I'd throw my phone away.  8)

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 86
*Sniff, sniff*  "What's that smell? Is that gas?"  ;)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 526
  • Teesside, North East England.
@Majik

Good news that you have some 6 string access to get back in to the swing of things after some time without. Don't forget to limber up and think about your skype session. :)

@brian ...  ;D

Offline SillySock7

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
    • My Road Case
My son's 5th birthday is coming up and he's been obsessed with drumming for the past year so my wife and I decided to get him an electronic set to start him off. Went to a local store and settled on a Yamaha DD-75 since he's not yet tall enough for larger kits.

Thing is, they also had guitars there. I checked some out and couldn't leave home without this:

It's a Yamaha FG-TA Transacoustic - love at first sight. The whole built in reverb / chorus thing is surreal. I have no idea how it works but it sounds insane! It's like a built in effects pedal, but its coming from the soundhole. Its also very easy to play, the satin neck is just so nice. Expect to see it featured in the upcoming monthly progress update vid :)
Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
That's GAS for you, once you got it, it stays  8) Sweet.
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
My son's 5th birthday is coming up and he's been obsessed with drumming for the past year so my wife and I decided to get him an electronic set to start him off. Went to a local store and settled on a Yamaha DD-75 since he's not yet tall enough for larger kits.
Wow I hope you’ve got a soundproof room somewhere in the house and/or deaf neighbours 😃.
You new guitar looks terrific. I wonder how long until other manufacturers try this concept. Keep us posted as to your thoughts about the built in effects.
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Getting on with my life now!
I’ve seen those fx before in ukuleles, it adds a whole new world to the sounds, wonderful stuff!
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline lasombra

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
My 16-year old self dream materialised last month in a completely impulsive purchase.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
Wow. Happy NGD. Enjoy it.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App