Author Topic: Bart's Journey starting with stage 1  (Read 850 times)

Offline Bart

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Bart's Journey starting with stage 1
« on: January 01, 2020, 10:56:50 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd document my learning journey and this is my first video recorded on the 5th of December, 2019 when I'd been playing just 2 weeks. I pretty much can't stand myself on video but I figure I'll try to get over that and keep this space to reflect on in the future. Hopefully the videos get better and better not just in my own playing but also in production value.

My new guitar is a Yamaha Pacifica 311H which I thought, with my limited knowledge of guitars, was decent value for money. I really feel like I got a lot of guitar for the money. I think it's beautiful to look at, to hold and to play. It feels good and to my ears sounds great too. I'm sure I could do much worse for a beginner guitar.  I love it. I'm curious to see how my feeling about it evolve.

I bought a used Roland Cube to go with it and kind of regret it. It sounds muddy and cheap. Well, it is cheap and so I can't complain. I'm thinking that I'll keep it until I'm worthy of something better, then will likely get a Boss Katana 100. I'd be more than fine with the 50 but think it's worth getting an effects loop that comes with the 100.

If you've landed here and are bothering to look at the video-s and read this then both thanks and sorry at the same time.

Happy new Year everyone!

Mettā,
Bart

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Bart's Journey starting with stage 1
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 05:37:28 am »
Welcome Bart.

Excellent idea to document progress.

The guitar looks good and seems an excellent choice.

Only snag in fully appreciating your progress is the sound level of the video...it is really low.  Was the guitar being played through the Cube?

And in the first couple of weeks I think what is most important is to be able to play the chords cleanly, fingers in a good position as close to fret wire as possible, no muting of strings. And it looks like you are doing well but hard to hear to confirm.

My only suggestion is to try not to say things like I am terrible.  You have just started to learn a rather challenging thing with lots to understand and technique to learn. I felt much happier hearing you say you are happy with progress.

Have fun, enjoy the adventure and I look forward to seeing you progress here.

Offline Bart

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:54:27 am »
Thanks for taking the time to comment! I didn't have the amp yet at the time and everything was recorded with a single mic. As I mentioned, I'll do my best to make it all sound better in the future. I can certainly get the mini cube up close to the mic and run the song app through it for a start. Once I have an interface or an amp with one built it, it will be a no brainer.  Thanks again!

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Do something new, Learn the Guitar.
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:28:16 am »
Hi Bart, Good to see another new guitarist on the site. I'm really looking forward to watching your video's as I'm on the same JG stage as you.

I agree with the other posting, beautiful guitar, shame volume was a little low.

IF, ! you like, I have some good video editing software and I'm able to boost volume levels. So If you would like that done, please let me know and you'll be able to repost video again.

Look forward to hearing and seeing more posts.

Libi.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:15:34 pm by Libitina »
1st, Epiphone Electro-acoustic AJ 220 SCE
2nd, Squire Strat HSS Candy Apple Red
3rd, Epiphone Ltd Ed. ES339 Vintage Sunburst

Offline Bart

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 09:58:38 pm »
Hi Libitina. Thanks for that. I've got some software as well. I've got iMovie and Camtasia that I use for English teaching tutorials for my students. I didn't mess with the video too much as it was just a single mic, I'm too shy to bring myself to the front too much, I like the idea of being accoustic while I'm a complete beginner and I just didn't think of it as it was my first video I made just for kicks. The amp isn't really good enough to bother micing and I don't have a mixer. I'll just stick the micro Cube up on my desk closer to the mic and actually use it next time. I'll run my phone through it as well to get the app louder. Hopefully that will be enough. I'll get an interface one day. Have a good one!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App