Author Topic: 003 2019 The Valley Runs Low  (Read 9620 times)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
003 2019 The Valley Runs Low
« on: December 14, 2019, 03:36:32 pm »

I followed a Joe Bonamassa email link to a live version of this song. It was incredible, and I had to learn it. I'm not at a point where I can transcribe this kind of music myself so I looked for an instrumental guitar version that I could learn. Then I (once again) set aside the project I was working on, and learned this song. Why does it make my happy? At the most basic level, music makes me happy, playing music makes me even happier, and playing cool music makes me even happier still. I have some ongoing vocal challenges after oral surgery and stuff last year, so learning a cool arrangement of a cool song for solo guitar, no vocals required, makes me the happiest.

Plus I'm wearing my JG 'happiness is a new guitar tshirt' :)

Plus my dog Mylo is with me :)

Mari

“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.” ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 003 2019 The Valley Runs Low
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 05:00:41 pm »
So much to be happy about Mari  :)  :)  :)

And I can be more than happy watching you play that ... plus it gives me something to dream about  ;)

Simply sounded wonderful.

Bravo !!
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 06:18:46 pm »
That was awesome Mari. You're an amazing guitar player! :)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 06:52:56 pm »
So much to be happy about Mari  :)  :)  :)

And I can be more than happy watching you play that ... plus it gives me something to dream about  ;)

Simply sounded wonderful.

Bravo !!

Thank you David, your comments are very much appreciated 😃
“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.” ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 06:54:39 pm »
That was awesome Mari. You're an amazing guitar player! :)

Well that made me laugh Bala, so that’s happiness right??  Thanks for all that positivity 😃😃

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 09:09:34 pm »
Very mellow and sweet. Happiness. :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 11:22:45 pm »
A four paws round of  applause. Sensitive interpretation in those nimble fingers of your Mari. Mylo has very good taste. This is so lovely, thankyou.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 06:55:38 am »
Came back for seconds this morning, even better when listening through my AI and mixing headphones.

Lovely, Mari
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 10:58:28 am »
I saw Joe Bonamassa in 2018 and it was an incredible show. Your cover is incredible too. Mellow, lovely, soothing.....I could go on. Suffice to say, this was thoroughly enjoyable listening.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 12:29:00 pm »
What a lovely sensitive performance Mari, and you nailed it!
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 03:06:13 pm »
Very mellow and sweet. Happiness. :)

Thanks Richard. Happiness :)

A four paws round of  applause. Sensitive interpretation in those nimble fingers of your Mari. Mylo has very good taste. This is so lovely, thankyou.

Thanks Maggie  I sat Mylo in with me because I watched several of Justin’s videos just to see how he can be so comfortable in videos, and then I watched several of mine to see how I can be so uncomfortable in videos. I realized that the only video I was comfortable in was one where Krista was singing, so I thought well Mylo has a calming influence on me, maybe it would help if he were in the video! It wasn’t quite the same but surprisingly enough I do think having him beside me made me more comfortable :)

Came back for seconds this morning, even better when listening through my AI and mixing headphones.

Lovely, Mari

David, you are wonderfully encouraging, thank you! 

I saw Joe Bonamassa in 2018 and it was an incredible show. Your cover is incredible too. Mellow, lovely, soothing.....I could go on. Suffice to say, this was thoroughly enjoyable listening.

Thanks so much Hilts. That might have been the tour that came through my town too that I missed :(

What a lovely sensitive performance Mari, and you nailed it!

Thanks Darrell. I find the music very moving, if I can channel a wee bit of that I’m happy :)

And good vibes to everybody who listens, and comments, and encourages :)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 255
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 04:39:40 pm »
Well done Mari. You do look more relaxed and it shows in your playing.
Mylo is a good listener so I can see more youtube in his future. :)

Offline kontenda

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 04:13:50 pm »
Loved it embishop - not familiar with the song - but really liked the mellow vibes from your performance. It has inspired me to look at new areas I should focus on in my guitar journey.

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 12:44:18 am »
Really nice rendition Mari. Can't imagine how long it took you to learn the song the whole way through and perfect it to that level. Great stuff!
Neil

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 12:36:33 pm »
Well done Mari. You do look more relaxed and it shows in your playing.
Mylo is a good listener so I can see more youtube in his future. :)

Thank you Stitch. Relaxation is a tough 'skill' to practice.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 12:40:16 pm »
Loved it embishop - not familiar with the song - but really liked the mellow vibes from your performance. It has inspired me to look at new areas I should focus on in my guitar journey.

Thank you Paraic. Your music posts continue to inspire me to start working on some transcribing. An idea is at least in the works now ... :)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »
Really nice rendition Mari. Can't imagine how long it took you to learn the song the whole way through and perfect it to that level. Great stuff!
Neil

Thanks so much Neil. I've recently started using Justin's My Practice Assistant, so soon I may know myself how long it took to learn a particular song! There's always something that can be better though (for me at this point anyway). Right now I'm working on memorizing the song.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 10:47:47 am »
Mari - back for more ... and I am happy to come back.
Mari playing some mellow gospel blues, a fine Gretsch, the lovely Alsatian Mylo and a painting of a fox hanging behind too! A recipe for almost unbridled joy! :)
That's some fine playing ... I love the easy vibe you develop with a steady, slow yet groovy rhythm. I think you have got the descending lines flowing really smoothly with those bass notes really kicking in as a solid foundation for the end movement to those sections. There are a few small areas to focus on ... try getting some vibrato (or use your Bigsby) on some of the sustained high notes ... try to clean up the pull-offs and make them ring crisp and true.
I didn't know the tune and you inspired me to go listen to a live Bonamassa recording ... he plays the part you have learned with a slide on his 3rd finger ... not too shabby I guess. ;)
Good work Mari and thanks for bringing happiness in. :)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 204
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 01:00:59 pm »
Late to the party on this one. Great tune, well played. No nits from me. Completely enjoyed it. I feel like that song picked you to play it. 8)

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 02:37:06 pm »
Terrific Marie , really really well played and very enjoyable.   Sorry i'm late to the party.  Golly that's a nice guitar you have there.   
I've said it once before and i'll say it again because you need to hear it and it's not just my opinion.   You're an amazing guitar player.   8)

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 04:11:05 pm »
Mari - back for more ... and I am happy to come back.
Mari playing some mellow gospel blues, a fine Gretsch, the lovely Alsatian Mylo and a painting of a fox hanging behind too! A recipe for almost unbridled joy! :)
That's some fine playing ... I love the easy vibe you develop with a steady, slow yet groovy rhythm. I think you have got the descending lines flowing really smoothly with those bass notes really kicking in as a solid foundation for the end movement to those sections. There are a few small areas to focus on ... try getting some vibrato (or use your Bigsby) on some of the sustained high notes ... try to clean up the pull-offs and make them ring crisp and true.
I didn't know the tune and you inspired me to go listen to a live Bonamassa recording ... he plays the part you have learned with a slide on his 3rd finger ... not too shabby I guess. ;)
Good work Mari and thanks for bringing happiness in. :)

Thank you Richard. I love the vibe on this one, the easy groove of this tempo which seems closer to what he plays live, as well as the bit quicker studio version. Pull offs are not my friend, they definitely need work. And I didn’t even think about using the Bigsby!! I’m going to tune my Gretsch back to Open D to try it out.

A video with JB playing this one on slide is how I found this song. Whenever I start exploring slide guitar this will be a good one to start on.

Late to the party on this one. Great tune, well played. No nits from me. Completely enjoyed it. I feel like that song picked you to play it. 8)

Thanks so much Clint. I also feel like this song picked me 😃

Terrific Marie , really really well played and very enjoyable.   Sorry i'm late to the party.  Golly that's a nice guitar you have there.   
I've said it once before and i'll say it again because you need to hear it and it's not just my opinion.   You're an amazing guitar player.   8)

Thank you Alex, you’re a real confidence booster. I am very happy with my guitars these days 😃

Mari

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 11:41:20 am »
This is awesome Mari!

I wanna learn it myself - you're doing so well - it sounds great - the rhythms are strong, the notes are confident and it just sounds awesome! That must have been a stack of work and but totally worth it - you got yourself a real strong song you  can play in stores, for friends, anywhere and it sounds ace!

Your dog looks lovely too - I'd love a shepherd, Ziggy needs a playmate! And cool tee ;)

so so good!

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 12:44:33 pm »
Wow thank you so much for all that, Justin, my morning is starting with a big smile 😃. This is now the 3rd song I can play in Open D tuning (dadgad for 1) so it’s worthwhile now to change the tuning and play if I’m out somewhere. (The other 2 I learned from you, She Talks To Angels, and Photograph, great lessons).

I got a big shout out on my tee last summer, walking up to a crafts show with a guy playing out front, amplified, and from a goodly distance away he stopped his vocals, kept strumming, read out my t-shirt and commented on how excellent it was lol.

And Mylo is the friendliest dog ever so he would be thrilled to be Ziggy’s friend.

Thanks for helping me reach my music dream, Justin 😃

Mari
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:27:47 pm by embishop »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 05:47:58 am »
Equally loud cheers and hurrahs for your second place, Mari, it was also a really outstanding performance.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 12:28:48 pm »
Equally loud cheers and hurrahs for your second place, Mari, it was also a really outstanding performance.

Thanks David 😃

Get The Forum As A Mobile App