Author Topic: Third Open Mic  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
Third Open Mic
« on: December 10, 2019, 11:04:08 pm »
Evening all

So I just got back from the open mic. Really didn't fancy it tonight but very glad I went I love live music and there were some good guys playing tonight. I just did the two songs the third I abandoned last minute before I went on.

So bad moon rising was my warm up. Screwed up the instrumental bit, made the tough change then fluffed the easy bit back down.

https://youtu.be/bIDahk09ZCw

Then I played All I want for Xmas is you. A bit ambitious but if you believe then they will sing along. A lovely guy called Nigel picked up some bells and played along i wasnt expecting that but appreciated it. Obviously fluffed a few chords and forgot the last verse but you have to have room for improvement.

https://youtu.be/V_9eb2qw_EE

All in all a fun night. I could have done better but I met nice people and chatted about music. It's not really about being perfect.

G

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
Re: Third Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 05:24:03 am »
Congratulations Gareth. Loved the second one. I like your approach very much - not needing to be perfect. You are an engaging man and that's beginning to shine. Well done!
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 07:11:27 am »
Well done Gareth - I caught these on Youtube last night and was delighted for you to be up and at it again. Bravo. :)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 11:09:10 am »
Bravo and three cheers !!

Good job, well done, Gareth.

As Maggie said, I think you are 100% right ... it's not about being perfect.  The only way to learn to play and perform is to play and perform.  And you are looking and sounding good

I  took note of your use of barre chords on Bad Moon Rising to make the chorus sound a little different.  I shall try and do the same as I think it is a good song to have in the repertoire.

You did really well on the ambitious second song, looking really fluent and comfortable moving up and down the neck and changing chord shapes.

Rock on !!

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 12:23:52 pm »
You sounded good to me, especially in the second song. The bells had a nice ring to it ;) Mistakes maybe there but you did the two most important things: kept playing through it and had fun! that's all that matters :)

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 08:25:46 pm »
Congratulations Gareth. Loved the second one. I like your approach very much - not needing to be perfect. You are an engaging man and that's beginning to shine. Well done!
Thanks batwoman. I'd like to be perfect...but we all make mistakes better just to carry on and not worry about them.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 08:26:55 pm »
Well done Gareth - I caught these on Youtube last night and was delighted for you to be up and at it again. Bravo. :)
Thanks close. Good to get some footage of this one....especially now there's this new area for live shows.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 08:32:31 pm »
Bravo and three cheers !!

Good job, well done, Gareth.

As Maggie said, I think you are 100% right ... it's not about being perfect.  The only way to learn to play and perform is to play and perform.  And you are looking and sounding good

I  took note of your use of barre chords on Bad Moon Rising to make the chorus sound a little different.  I shall try and do the same as I think it is a good song to have in the repertoire.

You did really well on the ambitious second song, looking really fluent and comfortable moving up and down the neck and changing chord shapes.

Rock on !!
Thanks for listening David.

Yeah bad moon rising is a good one to have. It's a three chord banger that you can play with your eyes closed and everyone likes it. I'm really not keen on a open G chord hence the Barre chord. I think they sound better anyway. It's my plan to always start with an upbeat easy song just to settle my nerves.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 08:34:00 pm »
You sounded good to me, especially in the second song. The bells had a nice ring to it ;) Mistakes maybe there but you did the two most important things: kept playing through it and had fun! that's all that matters :)
Thanks Bala I had fun alright and I've met some nice folks playing out. Hope you're enjoying your live performances.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 09:00:18 pm »
love it when people gather their courage and try an ambitious song on stage!
tons of respect.

People shouldn't underestimate the impact a "spontanuous tambourine guy" has on your focus on stage.
The song is hard enough as it comes.

a lyrics f*ck up?
you didn't drop your rhythm :p

I'm really PROUD of you actually.

You always come across as a modest, authentic guy
I hope your "stage bravery" got a boost after doing that Maria Carey song on stage.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 09:49:33 pm »
love it when people gather their courage and try an ambitious song on stage!
tons of respect.

People shouldn't underestimate the impact a "spontanuous tambourine guy" has on your focus on stage.
The song is hard enough as it comes.

a lyrics f*ck up?
you didn't drop your rhythm

I'm really PROUD of you actually.

You always come across as a modest, authentic guy
I hope your "stage bravery" got a boost after doing that Maria Carey song on stage.
Wow thanks lieven. That's a lovely thing to say. I am boosted by last night. Not because the performance went perfectly but because it didn't and it wasn't the end if the world. In fact people still enjoyed it.

Thanks for listening and for the positive comments.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 10:15:14 pm »
I am impressed. Sounded good and you didn't look at all nervous.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 09:50:06 am »
I am impressed. Sounded good and you didn't look at all nervous.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Thanks jono. I was though. I've been on early before. This time I was the eighth slot and the waiting made it worse.

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 09:55:29 am »
I don't know how you were feeling going into this but I thought that was an assured performance. I enjoyed watching that and liked both songs in equal measure for different reasons; BMR is a classic and I never tire of listening to it and All I want... was a perfect choice for the festive season and engage the crowd. I feel short changed knowing there was an intended third song we missed out on!  ;)

I thought you handled the little mistakes perfectly and they certainly (in my eyes) didn't detract from the overall performance.
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 11:05:17 am »
Hey Gareth,
Well done you!
What all the others said  8)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 12:44:55 pm »
Well done Gareth big thumbs up for doing this - again!

Yep would agree with other comments we've got Bad Moon in ours and barre chords are the way to go (I use them all the way through). A nice firm two down strums on that first D Chord works real well.

Great job again and look forward to hearing more.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline kontenda

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 01:31:04 pm »
Great Garfield - enjoyed both numbers - loved the way you handled the errors - very relaxed and putting the audience at ease. Watching these videos I think you are a natural performer. Well done.

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 05:25:27 pm »
Well done Gareth :) Handling minor hiccups fluently without interrupting the song is a great asset :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2019, 03:20:23 pm »
Wow that was great, Gareth! Very impressive to keep playing through a little stumble and even make a joke, a real pro. Good vibes to you :)
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Get The Forum As A Mobile App