Author Topic: String question: D'Addario EXP26 or XT  (Read 425 times)

Offline Startide

• Good Vibes 0
String question: D'Addario EXP26 or XT
« on: December 04, 2019, 09:06:31 pm »
Justin mentioned the EXP26 Phosphor Bronze Custom Lights as a good starter string. When I looked on Amazon for them, they mentioned the new XT series is the replacement for the EXP (not sure if this is truly the case). Should I be thinking about the XT's instead, or just stick with the EXP series?

I was going to restring my Yamaha FS800 that my wife bought for me from the stock strings after starting the Beginner course (almost 51 years old, so here is hoping I can manage this).

Thoughts? Cost difference is not very much, so I don't really see that as a consideration at this time.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Re: String question: D'Addario EXP26 or XT
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:40:09 pm »
I’ve got athread going in ‘general questions - new strings too bright’ perhaps we could link these threads? I don’t know how to do that.
This also raises the subject of forum improvements that Justin/close2u/Lieven are researching. Too many similar topic headings is definitely an issue.
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X.
Arrived Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM & Fingerstyle. Played a Framus archtop accoustic as a teenager in the late 60’s, then life got in the way for 50 years.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 10:23:50 pm »
I don’t know how to do that.
This also raises the subject of forum improvements that Justin/close2u/Lieven are researching. Too many similar topic headings is definitely an issue.
That's totally a function of moderation, but this sort of moderation is a lot of work.
It can also generate friction because some people don't like their posts being merged with exist threads. They will claim that their post was, somehow, different from the one it was merged into.

You can change the forum software, but it will do nothing to prevent this.

Frankly it starts with users being more careful how they post, but trying to control this sort of user behaviour on any forum is like herding cats.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:52:06 pm by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 447
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 10:45:26 pm »
I can do all of that mod work, of course.
And move the new thread to this section [ https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?board=83.0 ] where questions about strings should belong.

But that may flag another issue ... navigation to know where to post. There are stickies and guides but ...

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 12:04:09 am »
@Sairfinger
Seeing that you are the one who brought the forum up let me point out the
two big No No's in forum educate
1) posting on someones thead and no answering their question or providing help
2)hijacking someone thread with something that has nothing to do with the
opening post.

@  Startide
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry I can't help you with the new XT strings I haven't tryed them yet but have used
The EXP 26 so if the  XT's are going to replace the EXP's they shoulf be fine.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 11:11:17 am »
Apologies! Was not my intention to hijack anything. Just trying to help ’herd the cats’ as Majik so aptly put it. Although I would argue that the topics were similar enough to be in the same thread but admit that mine was in the wrong place too!
I’ll stick to asking questions and practising guitar!

Hi Startide
I use and like the D’Addario EXP strings once they mellow a bit and last time I was on Amazon, like you, found that they were being replaced by XT. Decided to try something different so got the D’Addario EJ strings which are phosphor bronze like the EXP but uncoated. So far so good. I like the sound and they are a lot cheaper! Will they need changed earlier? Time will tell.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 02:23:41 pm by sairfingers »
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X.
Arrived Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM & Fingerstyle. Played a Framus archtop accoustic as a teenager in the late 60’s, then life got in the way for 50 years.

Offline Startide

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 06:18:08 pm »
I suppose I understand that strings are accessories, but in a guitar that is like saying the engine is an accessory to a car. Can't really have one without the other and still be a guitar. Kind of becomes an odd shaped drum at that point. :)

Regardless, back to the topic at hand. The reviews for the XT's are questionable as one even stated that the coating was making them rough to the fingers, definitely not something a beginner would want to deal with. I think I will take a look at the EJ series, and pick up a set of the EXP's, and try them both.

Unless I should be looking at something completely different for a truly new player to guitar.

Online brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 03:06:47 pm »
I'm one of the odd ones here (not that I mind), but I actually prefer when the strings get 'old'  ::)

The first strings I bought for my classical were Addario Pro-Arte EJ45 Classical Nylon. They sounded fine to me, so stuck with them. I find they need re-tuning every time you play for the first few weeks, but then settle in nicely, esp if the weather is constant.

I've avoided GAS (so far) and am happy to wait till I'm more proficient before I turn my attention to sound/tone/aesthetics etc.

Offline sdd56

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 09:05:53 pm »
I usually use EXP26 custom lights, I prefer them to Elixir coated which I've also tried.

Have recently bought XT custom lights, I will be fitting them in the next few days so will report back!
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 8.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7, Freshman FA1AN
Electric: Yamaha ERG121, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline GregB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 11:01:52 pm »
I’m also a 51 year beginning and found EJ15 a lot less harsh on the fingers than the 13s it came with, I’ve not tried any others yet but for £6 give the EJ15s a whirl.

Once I can play a few songs consistently well I might think about string experimentation but comfort was my priority in the early stages.

Offline sdd56

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 08:51:36 pm »
I've now restrung my Freshman with XT 11-52, and to me they feel and sound very similar to the EXP26 (although my fingers and ears are still at the beginner stage!).
Quite bright sounding when new (as are EXP).
If you like EXP26, you will probably like XT's.
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 8.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7, Freshman FA1AN
Electric: Yamaha ERG121, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Get The Forum As A Mobile App