Author Topic: Feedback on My Practice Assistant (MPA)  (Read 37782 times)

Offline nixternal

• Good Vibes 0
  • Hello, hello, is my guitar pick still in there
    • Homepage
Re: Feedback on My Practice Assistant (MPA)
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2021, 01:09:20 am »
I've noticed that too. I didn't do any extensive testing, but sometimes I'll start the timer, go to iTunes and play 2 songs all the way through, then when I come back to MPA only 2 or 3 minutes minutes are gone.

It always ends up ringing however, so I'm not sure what's happening.

Yeah, I just tested it. My timer was set for 10 minutes, 1m x 5 triad shapes plus 5 x 1m changes. Set a timer on my other computer to 10 minutes, and set a stop watch on the phone. Started Justin's timer first, then went to my Google Docs spreadsheet where I keep my practice results in the same browser. Then started the 10 minute timer on my other computer & started the stop watch. Stop watch was so I could see if Justin's tab ever did go off & it did. 20 minutes :D So it is definitely doubling the timer when the tab isn't focused.

EDIT: OK, so this time, I didn't go back to that tab, I left my Google Doc opened. I went back in after 30 minutes thinking I must have missed the beep. Nope, the timer was at 4:43, which is exactly where it is even after 10 minutes. So, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, thus far when that tab is unfocused it isn't counting down anymore. It could have been like this forever, I don't know. I've only recently started running the timer in tab with another tab open. Typically in the past I ran the MPA on 1 computer & used one of my other computers to go through the practice material. That way I would see the screen blink if I didn't hear it. What's weird, if I have just 1 tab with MPA and fire up a media player to play along to, the timer runs perfectly.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:31:30 am by nixternal »
2019 Epi LP VE & 2019 Epi DR-400MCE & Fender CD-60S

Offline guitarben

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2021, 01:25:38 pm »
What's weird, if I have just 1 tab with MPA and fire up a media player to play along to, the timer runs perfectly.

Thanks for testing it, now that I think of it I might have been on another tab and not on a media player. I guess I'll just make sure MPA has its own tab for now and that it's in the front.

Offline Hexhammike

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2021, 01:37:32 pm »
Hi Justin and team. Love the practice area. It is fantastic.  Only issue for me is I can’t find the backing track for improvisation in the practice area. Can get it from the lesson via the download tab but a bit of pain getting it that way. Keep up the great work on the lessons and the beginners app which are both brilliant.

Offline nixternal

• Good Vibes 0
  • Hello, hello, is my guitar pick still in there
    • Homepage
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2021, 10:55:25 pm »
Hexhammike, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBhi4PA2Ag6702jfAAffoWg

That is where Justin keeps his free backing tracks. Once you get through those you can always search for more backing tracks on YT, a lot of really good ones on there.
2019 Epi LP VE & 2019 Epi DR-400MCE & Fender CD-60S

Offline Mdayton

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2021, 07:17:37 pm »
I’ve been using MPA for about six months and find it to be a huge help.    Thank you!  I’ve a couple suggestions:

- Managing practice routines and practice items is somewhat difficult.    I find ordering of items within a routine is painful.   Drag and drop would be awesome.  Grouping within practice items would be helpful also.
- The “save as practice item” within lessens are a great feature.   I hope you will include this as the intermediate  lessons are redone.

Keep up the good work.   Love what your doing!

Offline Andrewjm

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2021, 02:06:24 am »
Hi

First off, this is phenomenal website and all of the related work, lessons, patience and instruction and maintenance put into it. I will be donating.

I am just getting started with the MPA and the courses as a near-intermediate guitarist.
I have one question about the MPA.

Is the best way to add a course link to a Practice Item 
1) Save the lesson as a favorite (heart)
2) Copy/paste the course link from the Saved Items in the Dashboard into the Practice Item's "related link" area.

Is there another way (more practical/efficient) to add the course links to practice items?

Thanks
Andrew

Offline SteveD

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2021, 11:27:48 am »
I really like the practice assistant, made me realise i had never actually practiced as much as i thought i did.

So far the only problem i have encountered is it forgets days practiced sometimes in the stats. Not a huge problem i know but i do like seeing how many total days and hours i've put in.

Thanks for the hard work put into btw
Steve

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
  • SoCal kid living in my RV in Florida
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2021, 11:59:22 am »
I find I screw my stats up a lot. I tried editing but couldn't get it to do what I wanted.

I still use the assistant religiously to get everything done but I don't monitor the stats much...
New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Offline mike243rd

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2021, 09:36:38 pm »
So, this is a new issue I'm having with the Practice Assistant.

1) Last time I went to start practice, the FIRST ITEM was already checked off; and there's no way I could figure out how to "uncheck" it. It's a 10 minute item, so it makes a big difference in my practice time.

I was beginning to doubt myself, thinking maybe I checked it off inadvertently.

2) Today (four days later) I went to practice and the LAST ITEM was checked off. And this item is a 15 minute item (song practice).

Neither time had I done anything but click on the "Practice" tab while in My Practice Assistant.

Offline alexlex

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2021, 08:29:07 pm »
I appreciate the practice assistant. Here are three suggestions to improve it:

* Allow us to have multiple active routines and let us pick which one we want to use on a particular day. I do like to mix it up a little bit, i.e., have different length practice routines, or have a couple of different focus areas. The inactive vs active is a bit too clunky to manage that well.

* Make the practice item ordering possible via drag and drop. The up and down button are really tedious.

* Allow direct manipulation of practice items in the routine builder. It's pretty annoying if I want to slightly change something for an item and have to go to the next tab, find it there, and edit it there.

Thanks!

Offline PKane

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2021, 03:19:59 am »
I just started using the MPA and it's a fantastic resource. If I had to make one suggestion it would be to allow us to manually enter practice time. For example, I've been learning picking patterns and sometimes I'll just pick up my guitar and practice a pattern for 20-30 minutes or I'll spontaneously practice little things like chord changes or a song I'm working on. It would be awesome to be able to include this time in my stats (and I promise I wouldn't cheat and enter in 3 hours of practice time when I was really playing video games  :D)

On a related - but maybe more complex to implement - note it would be cool to have a graph or progress bar for different skills or practice items, so you could see on a visual that you've logged X hours of travis picking, or played a particular song X times, changed from F-Dm X times, it took you X minutes to perfect the G Major scale at a certain BPM.

But I'm no programmer, just a guy rambling on the internet. I'm sure that's all easier said than done.  :D

Anyway, props to Justin and the development team for what is already an awesome resource!
"I'd like to write some songs that are so good that nobody understands them. Not even myself."
- Townes Van Zandt

Offline PKane

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2021, 12:01:28 am »
My bad. Today I realized that you *can* mark an exercise/routine as complete without running the timer (and it even says so right in the directions, which I only carelessly skimmed yesterday  ::)) and you *can* keep a record of your chord changes.

I do think it would be cool to also be able to go back and edit your stats from previous days, but maybe that's for the better as I'm probably better off actually practicing than mindlessly entering old written practice logs.  ;D
"I'd like to write some songs that are so good that nobody understands them. Not even myself."
- Townes Van Zandt

Offline Peri

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2021, 10:11:24 pm »
I lost my stats today.

Not a lot of them - about 5 weeks worth - but they are the important ones, from very first picking up a guitar (4 good chord changes a minute), up to 3 days ago (60+ a minute).

They have a lot of sentimental value and I'd like them back please :D

Steve.

Offline TaffyDownUnder

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2021, 11:28:41 pm »
Hi Justin and team,
Really liking the practice component of the web site, really helps me get organised.  Just a couple of minor suggestions.  Could you make it possible to practice any item outside of a routine, maybe an icon next to each item in the Item list to run that practice item.   Also with the songs in each practice session would it be possible to supply Tabs for them, would allow me to concentrate on things I'm finding tricky without playing around with the video.

Thanks for a great web site and app.
Cheers,
Paul

Get The Forum As A Mobile App