Author Topic: Feedback on My Practice Assistant (MPA)  (Read 27777 times)

Offline AngryKitten

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Feedback on My Practice Assistant (MPA)
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2020, 08:18:09 pm »
Not sure if it's just me but for the last few days I've been having a slight problem with the practice assistant.  It's nothing too terrible and I can work around it, but basically it seems to think I've finished my routine when I complete the penultimate item, and doesn't let me move on to the final one.  I just get the 'finished for today or restart the routine' options, and have to choose to restart my routine, and then just ignore the stuff I've already done and select the final item that way.  It was fine to begin with, not sure if it's something I've done, or just a bug... otherwise I think it's great, it definitely keeps me focused and motivated to tick things off and record my stats :-)

Offline ions

• Good Vibes 4
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2020, 08:53:45 pm »
I didn't look through every post, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

Would love to see another layer between Practice Items and Routines. This would allow us to build routines in modules.

In other words, my morning routine consists of warmups, chords, chord progressions, practice and songs.

Rather than adding each item individually to the routine, I could modify the Practice module, the Chord module, etc. then juggle those around. It would also allow for more flexibility in building other routines. For instance, in the afternoon, I could have a routine that only held the Warmup and Songs module.

On another note, I'm sure this has been mentioned but being able to drag and drop rather than clicking the little arrows would be great.

And finally, adding this as a part of your mobile app and/or allowing the mobile app on the PC would be awesome.

Keep up the great work, Justin.

Yes! Routines as modules would be wonderful. I could spend a bit of time at the beginning of the week making a lesson plan and moving through my lessons instead of having to create my lesson/routine every time I change or move on.

The benefits I can think of off the top of my head are breaking up a Grade into sections, creating tailored practices based on time (15, 30, 60 minutes available....), routines based on song practice, exercises, scales and so on.

Offline jfreebus

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2020, 11:49:21 pm »
hi I am to your your lovely lessons, but can't get the practice item to save (so can't add it to the routine).  The SAVE button stays light so won't allow me to save.  Suggestions?  thanks jef

Offline yosi231

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2020, 06:54:49 am »
Drag and Drop rather than using little arrows will save lots of time, i have like 20-30 practice items ( i practice a lot), organizing is tedious work.

Offline Seraph69

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2020, 03:13:32 pm »
Hi Justin,

I'm enjoying using the new MPA, but one thing I think it desperately needs is BATCH functionality.
It's so tedious to have to select every single individual exercise one-by-one and archive / delete / edit one at a time.

Please could you add functionality to enable batch selection / batch editing / batch delete / batch restore / archive etc. etc. I'm mainly talking from the perspective of the individual routine components (e.g. the exercises rather than the routines), but batch functionality wherever possible would be great!

Keep up the good work!

Steve

Online khaotix

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2020, 10:33:50 am »
Hi Justin,

I'm not sure whether I'm confused about how time recording in the app is supposed to work, but the time shown in the graph doesn't seem to reflect the time I've actually recorded, only the time each task was originally intended to take.

So, if I have a practise item "Chord Perfect A" and do it so badly that I re-run it twice (otherwise known as Monday), it only records the time for 1 iteration. Similarly if I have song practise listed as 10 minutes, but get carried away and spend 30 minutes on it, there doesn't seem to a way to override the planned time with the actual; I have a metric set as number of minutes, but the number recorded is the planned time not the metric amount.

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2020, 11:47:41 am »
I tried to use the MPA and create a practice item but it wouldn't let me save it.
Has it been changed to a subscription model?

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2020, 02:05:49 pm »
I just tested it on mine and it works. Did you fill in both required boxes that are marked with an * (title and duration boxes)? After that, it was possible for me to click the "save" button. Hopefully this helps.

Online khaotix

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2020, 09:33:42 am »
I'd also really like the ability to update the records after the fact - so yesterday I practised, today I updated the record, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get the details into yesterday - you can't enter a date and the Edit function doesn't allow you to change the date either

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2020, 03:42:30 pm »
I just tested it on mine and it works. Did you fill in both required boxes that are marked with an * (title and duration boxes)? After that, it was possible for me to click the "save" button. Hopefully this helps.

I figured out what it didn't like.
I was overtyping the duration with text, 1 minute.
I just need to use the selector arrow to click on a length of time.
All good now.

Offline mhacker

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2020, 04:24:02 pm »
I deleted some routines I was no longer using to clean up the interface, and I *think* that wiped out all the records of practices completed under those routines (i.e., practice time isn't counted towards my overall totals and stats for those practices aren't available any more). Renaming a routine doesn't seem like it had that effect, so I've still got stats and practice time for the routines I just repurposed and didn't delete.

Apologies in advance if that's a known result of deleting routines and I missed the fine print. Have otherwise gotten a whole lot of use out of the practice assistant, it's great!

Offline ISupportU

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2020, 12:00:05 am »
I was going to ask why my Oct 25th practice time was not reflected on my practice time stats, even though the one minute chord change stats were recorded. But then today, when I went to have another look, everything was fine! So I guess it was just a glitch.

I want to thank you for all of this - the lessons, theory, song practicing, apps, ear training, and all the rest.  It is just unbelievable how well organized your whole website is and how useful it is for all levels of players. Since I'm working on Lesson 5, I have explained to my son that I am in about the second semester of kindergarten. All of this is such a gift and I can't tell you how appreciative that you have poured your heart and soul into it. I am about to start Music Theory Lesson 2, and then will be paying to access the rest of it.

Thanks again!!

Beth in Austin, TX, US (ISupportU)
We learn by doing

Offline OhmG

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2020, 11:19:44 pm »
I really appreciate the practice assistant! I know it's fairly new but it would be nice to move the 'About' tab to the far right and have the 'Practice' tab as the first to appear. I used the 'About' tab once and now I either go straight to Practice or to Routines. Most people are probably the same if they use it regularly. It is very easy to use!

Someone else already suggested a feature to tag practice items which is a great idea. But recoding that at the backend would cost money and the tool is free..  So I can really understand if the tool stays more or less as it is  :)  I guess extending the search function implies changing the edit layout for 'routines' to add 2 search fields like 'title' and 'tag', and then extending the backend SQL to use those fields. Handy for working with complex lists but it's definitely a whole different block of work.

Online khaotix

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2020, 02:38:10 pm »
One more suggestion/request for the practise assistant. At the moment, it assumes that only one practise set is live at a time - I'd like to either be able to nominate multiple sets as live at the same time, or at least have a "finished with practise session" button for the whole set and a "skip this item this time" button on each item

Online khaotix

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2020, 07:47:42 pm »
Just noticed this one - if you do 2 practise sessions in the same day (possibly only if it's 2 of the same routine), the stats only include the time recorded for the 2nd session, rather that being the total of the 2

Online khaotix

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2020, 07:45:08 pm »
FWIW, I've just experimented, and this only happens if you do 2 of the same routine on the same day. If you do 2 different routines, it totals up the time correctly

Get The Forum As A Mobile App