Author Topic: Feedback on My Practice Assistant (MPA)  (Read 21869 times)

Offline Fresh_tunes

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Feedback on My Practice Assistant (MPA)
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2020, 10:25:38 pm »
Hi,
I'm all new here.
I started the one minute changes using the practice routine on the website and have recorded my results. I really like the setup but I made a mistake entering my changes. I input like 400 changes.

I'm exclusively using my phone to do the lessons and the screen is so small I can't read the stats chart numbers. So I'm not sure how big the number is but it is way off the charts. I can't find a place to edit it. Can we edit our stats?

Cheers

Ps this anti spam capcha is really unfriendly on a mobile phone, there is no alt key on my phone either to submit this post.  :'(
I'm looking forward to being a bar chord player some day.
I remember Myspace 😆

Offline MyKindaMoves

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2020, 12:39:10 pm »
Hey Justin and Ben the developer  :D

First off I think this is a fantastic idea. My only problem with it so far is entering multiple one minute changes for the same chord within the same 'session'.

For example. If I have a one minute chord change between G and C and I enter record my statistic at the end of the one minute timer as '55', I can see it on the recorded stats phase. However it's rarely worth doing a minute chord change one time. So if I do it again and achieve say 65 then save it and look it my recorded statistics, my '55' entry doesn't appear on the graph. Only my latest '65' does.

It would be so great and motivating to be able to see every single entry and see the detailed graph gradually (and hopefully) go higher and higher.

Thanks again. Once I can get past this problem I'm absolutely going to donate to the site for all the help it and you've given me over the years!

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Do something new, Learn the Guitar.
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2020, 01:04:11 pm »
Hey Justin and Ben the developer  :D

For example. If I have a one minute chord change between G and C and I enter record my statistic at the end of the one minute timer as '55', I can see it on the recorded stats phase. However it's rarely worth doing a minute chord change one time. So if I do it again and achieve say 65 then save it and look it my recorded statistics, my '55' entry doesn't appear on the graph. Only my latest '65' does.

Hi there, Have a question for you. Do you do one minute change more than one a day. ?

Im my stats I have OMC for a few chords. Where some of the changes are identical , Only 1 line shows but other info on page clearly shows I'm doing other changes, they just overlap. I've not tried entering data more than once a day though truth be told.

Libi
1st, Epiphone Electro-acoustic AJ 220 SCE
2nd, Squire Strat HSS Candy Apple Red
3rd, Epiphone Ltd Ed. ES339 Vintage Sunburst

Offline jzh77

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2020, 04:14:40 am »
I agree
- start one minute timer with a countdown when doing the exercise without video (e.g. 5 or 10 seconds to get the fingers into position before the time starts.

Offline MyKindaMoves

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2020, 06:53:52 am »
Hi there, Have a question for you. Do you do one minute change more than one a day. ?

Im my stats I have OMC for a few chords. Where some of the changes are identical , Only 1 line shows but other info on page clearly shows I'm doing other changes, they just overlap. I've not tried entering data more than once a day though truth be told.

Libi

Hey Libi

Yeah that's what I was trying to get across. I'll do a 1 minute change more than once a day but when I look at the graph it will only show my highest entry for that day

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2020, 12:41:17 pm »
Hey Libi

Yeah that's what I was trying to get across. I'll do a 1 minute change more than once a day but when I look at the graph it will only show my highest entry for that day

Do you really want to record more that one stat for a chord change.  If you do then I suppose you'll have to have multiple practice items.
Maybe C to G and another G to C , so although the same you'll see each stat I guess.

Libi

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2020, 06:48:33 pm »
This is truly an outstanding practice tool. It’s a great way to make sure I’m doing more than just practicing songs, that I’m including something from all the different practice areas!! My question is about the Notes, and whether it would be possible to have the option to add multiple Notes, a new Note for every day if you wanted. I am working on Stairway to Heaven and have been modifying the Note to show what % of the tempo I’m at when I play along with the original. I just changed it from 60% to 65%, then I realized that should be a stat not a Note. My Practice Item then should really be named just the Stairway Solo, not the whole song, since most of it I can play at speed except the Solo (although I haven’t got the funny timing bit yet). I think it would still be useful to have the option to add multiple notes though.

Anyone else have thoughts on the Notes?

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline rakelbara

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2020, 08:22:05 pm »
Hi!
I love MPA! But, I have a couple (or more) of suggestions/comments.  First, I'd love it if the 1 min counter started with a 3 sec countdown. Just to get ready ;-)
Second, the filter in Stats does not do anything for me.  I can click it, but nothing happens.
Third, I would love to be able to properly see the numbers in Stats.  Like one minute changes, I have a problem seeing what color exactly which chord change is and then I have to hold the mouse pointer over the corresponding line to see what my numbers for that chord change have been.  It would be excellent to have a grid (like an excel sheet) below the chart, where you can see the numbers directly).  When you have f.ex. 8-10 chord changes going the lines flow into each other. 
I hope this makes sense!
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Yamaha Pacifica

Offline longinus

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2020, 08:30:22 pm »
Hi,
I have just finished my first practice run, so maybe it is to early  to make comments, but anyway I have two suggestions:
1. In the practice item edit form it is possible to enter (and save) a negative duration value - I think this is not neccessary.
2. It would be convenient to be able to set an initial value of the metronome for the practice item
Regards
longinus

Offline JustDon

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2020, 09:04:58 am »
Love the instruction, and I've been enjoying the practice tool.

Unfortunately, I've apparently done something wrong. When I tried to copy the Lesson 2 Routine, my Routines all disappeared, and I don't have any way to add a new routine. (The L1 individual items are still in the Practice Items tab. There's just no way I can find to put them into a new routine. The Lesson 2 items aren't there at all.)

My stats are still there, and the Lesson 1 individual items are still there - but I can't do anything with them because I don't have a routine set up and don't seem to have the ability to create one. I'm probably just missing something obvious - but I can't for the life of me figure out what it it. :(

Help?

Offline shavlik

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2020, 08:33:01 pm »
Love the instruction, and I've been enjoying the practice tool.

Unfortunately, I've apparently done something wrong. When I tried to copy the Lesson 2 Routine, my Routines all disappeared, and I don't have any way to add a new routine. (The L1 individual items are still in the Practice Items tab. There's just no way I can find to put them into a new routine. The Lesson 2 items aren't there at all.)

My stats are still there, and the Lesson 1 individual items are still there - but I can't do anything with them because I don't have a routine set up and don't seem to have the ability to create one. I'm probably just missing something obvious - but I can't for the life of me figure out what it it. :(

Help?

I have exactly the same problem. Please help.

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2020, 08:06:46 pm »
Shavlik and JustDon

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/lesson-2-practice-b1-209

OK, do you both see the lesson 2 items on this link when you click the practice tab.

I can't remember if you click the individual items before the save routine button or after is. But, either way you can select to add the items to your routine or overwrite the entire routine with the option that pops up after you select save routine.

Offline Greybeard

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2020, 12:39:10 am »
This has been working really well for me, but today I had an odd bug occur. I added Ziggy Stardust as a practice item, using the practice button on the song page. This resulted in 4 duplicate practice items for this song. It won't allow me to archive any of them, nor will it allow me to edit any of them. I get the error message "There was a problem updating this item. Title has already been used for a practice item." So these 4 items seem to be permanently stuck in my practice items and I can't change the practice time nor remove any of them.
Otherwise, this has really improved my practice sessions.

Offline Greybeard

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2020, 07:48:59 pm »
It would be helpful if the stats stopped recording after a practice item was removed from the routine or archived. My stats page has some many items in it that I am no longer practicing that it has become a mess and very difficult to find my current practice item stats. The old practice items continue to record at the same speed as I last practiced them even though I have moved on.

Offline GeoTony

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2020, 08:23:01 pm »
Re Notes, totally agree with embishop (Mari). I am trying to log weekly progress and it is difficult with only one note. Multiple notes would fix the problem. A side result of having to enter a longer and longer single note against an item is that the 'Edit' icon appears to be getting smaller and smaller. At some stage it will disappear into its own event horizon!
All the best...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App