Author Topic: 2019 Cover #42 (Jingle Bells)  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #42 (Jingle Bells)
« on: December 02, 2019, 08:42:04 pm »
Took some time to get this one to a recordable standard. Very different from what I usually do. I know this is not very good, but I havent practiced single note playing/melody playing very much. Some mess ups but hopefully the song is recognisable. I play it very slow, need to build some speed in this one and also I need to sustain some of the notes longer to make it sound better. Very tricky though.

https://youtu.be/tYwm9JPh-sM
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 2019 Cover #42 (Jingle Bells)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 03:06:52 pm »
And I say, well done Johan.  I think you did well in this recording to stretch yourself and do something a little difference.

Highlight for me was some of the bass walks, well done.

And yes, a couple of flubs, but given what you were attempting I think you showed a pretty good level for limited practice.  If you enjoy this style and technique, then you will only get better with more practice.

I noticed a lot more background noise on this recording than usual, which was a pity.

And of course this is #42 ... a special number ... the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything, including guitar playing ... could the question be "how many recordings does it take before one breaks out and tries something radically different?"  HA HA just playing the fool here ... if it makes no sense then google Douglas Adams.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 06:30:52 am »
Thanks David, its a style of playing that I like and wanna work more with. I have a couple of weeks to polish this one up for christmas  :)

About the recording not sure why its more background noise than usual. I dont pay much attention to the recording i'm afraid. Could be good to have some noise on the recording to disguise the sloppy playing  :)

About #42, I have not read "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", maybe I should?
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 12:54:20 pm »
Hey, nice job Johan  :)
Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is really good for development.
Easily recognisable and sounding sweet.

About the recording not sure why its more background noise than usual.
I was only aware of the foot-tapping  :)

About #42, I have not read "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", maybe I should?
Or anything else by Douglas Adams- it's priceless; although the humour is lost on many of my continental friends...

David, I believe 'the question' was 'How many guitars do you need?'  :P

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 01:32:51 pm »
Or anything else by Douglas Adams- it's priceless; although the humour is lost on many of my continental friends...

David, I believe 'the question' was 'How many guitars do you need?'  :P

The Hitchhiker's Guide ... a trilogy in 5 parts :)  I loved those books and the radio broadcast.

I guess like all humour, some of it depends on having some context.  For the rest for many it is just way to silly and ridiculous ... but I am a lover of silly a ridiculous.

LOL you could well be right on the question Brian, especially if it is to be the most universal question in this context.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 08:08:21 am »
Thanks Brian for listening. Yes it was demanding to do something different. This is still a bit difficult for me, but with some more practice I hope to play this one with ease  :)

I am mostly a strummer, but I also really like to play some fingerstyle. I see it as a natural development to try new things. Plan to do the folk fingerstyle module during 2020. Also plan to do some more recordings with fingerstyle, before I have finished the 52 recordings.

Only got 41 guitars left to buy to get to the magic number 42  :)
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 11:09:40 pm »
Johan, That was just super, and yes, very recognizable.  My hat is off to you for sure on this one.  I think you should work on getting this up to tempo, but must say this performance was impressive.  Well done.

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 11:25:21 pm »
This sounded very nice Johan. You're way ahead of me when it comes to single note playing so I'm rather envious. Great work!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 08:56:53 am »
Well done on taking your first steps along the wonderful path of melodic chord play.
Yes it is slow and wobbly at first.
It will come sure and steady with time, work and practice.

ps ... yes ... 42 is the answer  :)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 07:49:36 am »
Thanks hilts, Dave and Richard! Your nice comments really encourage me to continue the path I have started with more single note and melodic playing.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 04:45:54 pm »
And I say, well done Johan.  I think you did well in this recording to stretch yourself and do something a little difference.

Highlight for me was some of the bass walks, well done.

And yes, a couple of flubs, but given what you were attempting I think you showed a pretty good level for limited practice.  If you enjoy this style and technique, then you will only get better with more practice.

I noticed a lot more background noise on this recording than usual, which was a pity.

And of course this is #42 ... a special number ... the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything, including guitar playing ... could the question be "how many recordings does it take before one breaks out and tries something radically different?"  HA HA just playing the fool here ... if it makes no sense then google Douglas Adams.

I miss Douglas Adams. Badly.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App