Author Topic: My first open mic  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
Re: My first open mic
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 09:20:29 am »
Well done Maggie an excellent achievement and I bet you were buzzing afterwards.. I'm sure you can't wait to have another go now. Look forward to seeing the video. I'm edging closer, although also going slightly off kilter as I seem to be half way to creating a band  :o life is strange at times  ;D
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline kontenda

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 02:17:52 pm »
Congratulations batwoman, a very big and a very brave step up. Looking forward to seeing the video.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2019, 09:41:56 pm »
Well done Maggie an excellent achievement and I bet you were buzzing afterwards.. I'm sure you can't wait to have another go now. Look forward to seeing the video. I'm edging closer, although also going slightly off kilter as I seem to be half way to creating a band  :o life is strange at times  ;D

Thanks very much Rossco. Whooo hooo you're on your way to being part of a band. That's so exciting.

It's worth the challenge. I learned heaps more about playing, using the gear, connecting with an audience. I found the anonymity of singing to 'a crowd' a difficult thing. My songs didn't feel as though they had meaning, I couldn't stretch myself to connecting with them, some of whom had their back to me,  so next time I'm going to imagine I'm singing to someone I know who thinks I sing and play OK. That will boost my confidence and give it meaning for me.  I felt a bit numb afterwards, it went by so fast. Surreal in a way.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing you and your band.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2019, 09:42:58 pm »
Congratulations batwoman, a very big and a very brave step up. Looking forward to seeing the video.

Thank so much Kontenda. Thanks for acknowledging the challenge it was. 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 248
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2019, 03:19:06 am »
It's worth the challenge. I learned heaps more about playing, using the gear, connecting with an audience. I found the anonymity of singing to 'a crowd' a difficult thing. My songs didn't feel as though they had meaning, I couldn't stretch myself to connecting with them, some of whom had their back to me,  so next time I'm going to imagine I'm singing to someone I know who thinks I sing and play OK. That will boost my confidence and give it meaning for me.  I felt a bit numb afterwards, it went by so fast. Surreal in a way.

As a veteran of 4 open mic performances ... HA HA HA ... I can relate to what you are saying Maggie.

And I think worth saying again, as many have already said, that if I zoom out, so to speak, for us learning to play guitar, to play songs and to play and sing, to put all this together and perform live for an audience is a huge step, which is about so much more than just one's ability to play and sing. Standing up in front of an audience is a very different kettle of fish to playing in the safety of one's own home, with maybe some family members elsewhere in the house. 

So when you reflect on the experience in all its glory or gory, I think the overarching, underpinning ought to be enormous satisfaction and sense of accomplishment ... YOU DID IT.  And feedback from some there who were paying attention (I stalk you on Facebook) says, not just did it but did it WELL.

I also find it goes by so quickly.  And just as one is starting to relax, then it is over.  And in my case, the next opportunity is weeks away, so hard to build up momentum.  There's a part of me that wishes I could do a short set every weekend, really get into it.  And I do wonder about that part and what the need/want is.  But this be your thread, so enough of my musings.

I know you have more gigs coming up.  Wish you good vibes for this and look forward to hearing how things evolve as you go.

Thanks again for making us a part of your inspirational experience.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2019, 06:01:12 pm »
Maggie that's so great, playing your first open mic, it’s a completely different challenge from learning the guitar. I’ll be looking forward to seeing the video at some point. And as for positioning of the guitar, you gotta do whatever works for you. I’m glad that your shoulder is letting you play now though, and I hope you’re back to optimal shoulder health soon 😊
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2019, 01:35:45 am »
Maggie that's so great, playing your first open mic, it’s a completely different challenge from learning the guitar. I’ll be looking forward to seeing the video at some point. And as for positioning of the guitar, you gotta do whatever works for you. I’m glad that your shoulder is letting you play now though, and I hope you’re back to optimal shoulder health soon 😊

Thanks Mari, sure is a whole different thing. So many added factors. I have a great deal to learn, but I know that bit by bit I'll improve. I now have two dodgy shoulders. Can't reach the tuners of Mr Boofy my bass or reach past fret 3, but I won't let it stop me as tomorrow afternoon I'll be on stage playing Mr Boofy,  with my teacher who'll be on guitar and vocals. It's part of our Summer Festival. I'll post that too, once it's done. 

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 73
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2019, 09:41:03 pm »
Congratulations to your first open mic Maggie. Very cool and very brave you made this step. Sure it sounded great! Hopefully there will be a video of you performing live in a near future!?
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2019, 11:29:25 pm »
Congratulations to your first open mic Maggie. Very cool and very brave you made this step. Sure it sounded great! Hopefully there will be a video of you performing live in a near future!?

Thanks Johan. As you will hear, they don't sound great or even good. My greatest success has been to face my fear and to complete an open mic. I have a whole page of things listed in my music book that I will improve upon.

LBro has done an amazing job editing the very poor quality video I sent him.

Big thanks to you LBro for your time, skill and all those plugs you used. I've had these videos for a few days but my dented ego wouldn't let me post them.

Handy hint that LBro passed on. If you have a recorder, put that in front of the foldback so as to get a better quality recording, then do whatever one does to match the vid with the recording.

I still have trouble listening to the first one. It makes me feel sick.  My voice is not only screechy, at times it's almost primal in it's fear ridden quality and some of the pitch ow ow ow, cringe, vomit. CJ was first song. I struggled with hearing myself over the noise of the crowd and didn't think to nod to the guy on the desk to turn up the foldback. That's in my list of notes.  At home I never need to look at the fret at all. Nerves made me want to put my head down and not look up. I had to keep forcing myself to keep my head up and sing into the mic!

I like this photo of Leonie and I taken when we'd finished. A moment of relief and a little bit of pride. I did it!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:01:09 am by batwoman »

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2019, 04:29:08 pm »
Awesome Maggie. I am really proud and happy for you.
Congratulations. Take care of your shoulder and keep having lots of fun.
ouhou !!!!!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2019, 12:01:34 am »
Awesome Maggie. I am really proud and happy for you.
Congratulations. Take care of your shoulder and keep having lots of fun.
ouhou !!!!!

Thanks so much Kevin.

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2019, 11:27:35 am »
Hey Maggie I've been following this thread closely, patiently waiting for you to share your recording and here we finally are! A huge congratulations on conquering your nerves and facing a live audience; you did good! You got up there to entertain, and entertain you did. I'm sure the experience gained from performing live can only be a good thing and with more planned I think you'll gain confidence and go from strength to strength. I'm looking forward to you sharing the next one (hopefully) with us. :)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 7

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2019, 01:28:14 pm »
Great stuff Maggie, great to see you break the ice! The only was is up now, keep the momentum going! ( now wasn’t there a song “The only way is up”? 😉
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2019, 01:40:58 pm »
Tapping foot, smiling face and a confident performance! I think you did great Maggie! Congratulations and keep it coming! 😊

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 248
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2019, 05:44:48 am »
Three rousing ringing cheers Maggie.

A magnificent achievement to step up, overcome fear and perform.  And clearly I enjoyed your videos more than you did, not hearing it the way you did.

As for tge audience,  made me think that the open mic venue must be right next door to loudest bar in town, because surely people would not go to a show, even an open mic, just to talk with their mates.

Hope next time the plan to record the foldback, which I assume is Aus for monitor,  works well to give you a better recording...either for personal records or to share.

And loved that last picture.

Once again bravo.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App