Author Topic: My first open mic  (Read 12536 times)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
Re: My first open mic
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2019, 12:52:34 pm »
Yay Maggie!!! And yay friend! The loud crowd was a bit of a distraction from an otherwise completely enjoyable performance. I would think the noise would add to your nerves, but you did a great job. Great photo of you and Leonie. And nice guitar :)

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2019, 04:39:20 pm »
Great stuff batwoman you looked very assured. You did well. You didn't look ruffled by the loud crowd at all. Were they really that loud or was it just loud near the recording.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
    • YouTube
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2019, 05:44:34 pm »
Well, there you are BW! Sounded great and the tracks are accessible in the wild and not behind a privacy wall. What a treat. Really good stuff.

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2019, 06:10:10 pm »
Late to the party, Maggie- Well on commenting anyway.
I've been following your drip-feed from announcements, to photos, to videos, to follow-up dedication songs with keen interest.
I'm more than impressed with the whole package.
Well done you.
Take a bow.
 8)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2019, 01:44:22 am »
Hi Maggie,

Really nice performance... I liked the harmony you 2 displayed as it was top notch.

Remember to shoot your cell phone video on the camera's side and not vertically. This will eliminate the black bars on each side of your video...

Hope you continue to do the live gigs as grow on down the road. They seem to energize you and your play.

All the best,
LB

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement LBro and thanks for all your work on the vids. Yeah nothing like a live performance and a video to play back to give me motivation and even more drive to improve.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2019, 01:46:47 am »
Yay Maggie!!! And yay friend! The loud crowd was a bit of a distraction from an otherwise completely enjoyable performance. I would think the noise would add to your nerves, but you did a great job. Great photo of you and Leonie. And nice guitar :)

Mari

Thanks so very much Mari. Yes the noise made it harder to hear my pitch and tone. Part of me was thinking they kept talking because my performance was forgettable, uninteresting or even worse, hard to listen to.  My Cedar Clear Sky Ocean Deep did me proud. 
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2019, 01:50:36 am »
Great stuff batwoman you looked very assured. You did well. You didn't look ruffled by the loud crowd at all. Were they really that loud or was it just loud near the recording.

Thanks Gareth. You are the master of cool. The crowd and the ceiling fans were actually much louder in the unedited vid. LBro has been very clever in reducing the noise quite a bit. The friend who did the recording was only a couple of metres from me, the noisy yappers were some distance away.

I friend of mine, after he heard the video wanted to set them on fire. I pointed out that would make them even noisier! Without an audience it would be worse, so I just have to suck it up and learn to cope.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2019, 01:53:09 am »
Late to the party, Maggie- Well on commenting anyway.
I've been following your drip-feed from announcements, to photos, to videos, to follow-up dedication songs with keen interest.
I'm more than impressed with the whole package.
Well done you.
Take a bow.
 8)

Brian you're a clever man, perceptive and knowing.  Thankyou for your words, I feel encouraged and I'll do a nice curtsy sir.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2019, 01:54:31 am »
Well, there you are BW! Sounded great and the tracks are accessible in the wild and not behind a privacy wall. What a treat. Really good stuff.

Very, very generous of you Clint. Yeah, another small step forward for Miss Mouse making my YT public. Ta very much.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2019, 05:51:17 am »
Maggie, I'm on holiday but had to check CJ out. Awesome singing and playing! You went for it. You didn't hold back. Yes,  the background noise is distracting, but you gave a solid and captivating performance. Bravo!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2019, 08:36:22 am »
Maggie, I'm on holiday but had to check CJ out. Awesome singing and playing! You went for it. You didn't hold back. Yes,  the background noise is distracting, but you gave a solid and captivating performance. Bravo!

Lynn thanks for your lovely message, very generous of you. Have a happy holiday. Perhaps you'll come home with some new songs.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2019, 12:23:37 am »
Outstanding, Maggie and friend. Very confident, calm, well played and sung. A really nice performance.  A huge step forward, and now you’ve got me wondering what’s next. Congratulations on your well done first open mic. 

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2019, 03:01:49 am »
Outstanding, Maggie and friend. Very confident, calm, well played and sung. A really nice performance.  A huge step forward, and now you’ve got me wondering what’s next. Congratulations on your well done first open mic. 

Thanks Dave. Coming from a musician of your calibre, that's very generous. I was on stage last weekend with my teacher and some of his other students. We were part of the Summer Festival held here in my village. Another new experience to play outdoors and to a much bigger crowd. There's a few pictures on my RC.  https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=42850.195

Tonight I'll be doing one number with my teacher as part of his Christmas gig, again here in the village. Outdoor stage and at night that will be new too.  Got some other stuff lined up beyond that.

Thanks again Dave.

Offline kontenda

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2019, 01:35:58 pm »
Brilliant batwoman - enjoyed both songs - would have liked your audience to be a little quieter - but your performance was top class.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2019, 04:49:52 am »
Brilliant batwoman - enjoyed both songs - would have liked your audience to be a little quieter - but your performance was top class.

Your comments and encouragement mean a lot to me Kontend, thankyou so very much.  I've had to rationalise the audience noise by accepting that without them I have no one to play for. I'll have to learn to be more commanding. 8)

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2019, 11:55:10 am »
Hey Maggie, well done and once again: Congratulations on making the first step and it's nice to read you've already entered a stage again shortly after your open mic :) All the best for the upcoming performances :)

https://zenpencils.com/comic/119-john-green-make-gifts-for-people/
I like to think of that quote when there's a noisy audience :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2019, 12:11:41 am »
Hey Maggie, well done and once again: Congratulations on making the first step and it's nice to read you've already entered a stage again shortly after your open mic :) All the best for the upcoming performances :)

https://zenpencils.com/comic/119-john-green-make-gifts-for-people/
I like to think of that quote when there's a noisy audience :)

Great quote Max, thanks a lot. Learning how to connect with a crowed is a skill all of it's own.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2019, 09:08:26 pm »
I still have trouble listening to the first one. It makes me feel sick.  My voice is not only screechy, at times it's almost primal in it's fear ridden quality and some of the pitch ow ow ow, cringe, vomit.

don't stare yourself blind on that.
We all feel akward watching ourselves.
The gains you did on stage bravery and the added difficulty of doing a duet etc is wonderful.

Being up there can be daunting.
There is SO MUCH that can throw off your focus. sometimes you catch yourself daydreaming while playing, thoughts out there bacause of the sheer unrealistic situation you're in.
Learn to love being there. Beware of imposter syndrome. you have to FEEL like you ARE the artist because doubt is something you need to keep off stage ;)
Each gig you will learn to "throw" yourself more at the crowd until you reach a point the stage is where you can channel the crowds focus and energy in expressing yourself.
Believe me when I say that there will be a time you will do BETTER performances on stage than at home.
Right now? You're right on track!

I just wrote in Garfields thread that I'm proud of him and watching you here really makes me feel we all, here atJG forum, did a bit of our part to get you out there.
Of course, you did the largest part all by yourself and you are entitled to be proud of yourself.

We want to see more Batwoman. You're a saint.

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2019, 09:53:14 pm »

Learn to love being there. Beware of imposter syndrome. you have to FEEL like you ARE the artist because doubt is something you need to keep off stage ;)
Each gig you will learn to "throw" yourself more at the crowd until you reach a point the stage is where you can channel the crowds focus and energy in expressing yourself.
Believe me when I say that there will be a time you will do BETTER performances on stage than at home.

Inspirational stuff Lieven.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2019, 01:40:53 am »
don't stare yourself blind on that.
We all feel akward watching ourselves.
The gains you did on stage bravery and the added difficulty of doing a duet etc is wonderful.

Being up there can be daunting.
There is SO MUCH that can throw off your focus. sometimes you catch yourself daydreaming while playing, thoughts out there because of the sheer unrealistic situation you're in.
Right now? You're right on track!

I just wrote in Garfields thread that I'm proud of him and watching you here really makes me feel we all, here at JG forum, did a bit of our part to get you out there.
Of course, you did the largest part all by yourself and you are entitled to be proud of yourself.

We want to see more Batwoman. You're a saint.

Lieven you are on fire! I've just read all the posts you've made on other people's threads. Wow!

Heartfelt thanks for your advise, observations and encouragement. You're right when you say that all of you here in the community are part of me achieving this milestone.

When you say "Learn to love being there. Beware of imposter syndrome. you have to FEEL like you ARE the artist because doubt is something you need to keep off stage ;)"  there is a truth that resonates with me and it's something I'm yet own and experience. I'm making that part of my next set of goals.

I'm also aiming at this "Each gig you will learn to "throw" yourself more at the crowd until you reach a point the stage is where you can channel the crowds focus and energy in expressing yourself."

You've given me the essence of what I need to develop in myself.

Once again, heartfelt thanks Lieven.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App