Author Topic: My first open mic  (Read 12655 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
My first open mic
« on: November 24, 2019, 09:15:14 am »
Don't have a video as yet, but a photo. Today I did my first open mic. I asked a friend to sing harmony in the second of the two songs.

Holding my guitar in a rather bad position I know. This is the only way I can play till my shoulder heals. Don't usually let it tilt back that much. My bad.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:00:39 am by batwoman »
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Re: My first open mic
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 09:22:56 am »
Your posture suggests it went well! Good job on taking the plunge. Only way forward now. Looking forward to the video! 😊

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 09:54:28 am »
Bravo

Looking totally the part.

Three cheers

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 10:03:46 am »
Your posture suggests it went well! Good job on taking the plunge. Only way forward now. Looking forward to the video! 😊

Thanks Bala. This morning was the worst. I spent a great deal of time in the toilet. Sorry if that's too much information  ::)   To stop myself from backing out I posted on Facebook that I was doing an open mic. My teacher replied and what he said locked me in. I would never let him down, he's backed me with such generosity. The guys at the gig were fantastic. Adam, the sound guy said just the right things, gave me a big hug and got it all sounding good.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 10:05:12 am »
Bravo

Looking totally the part.

Three cheers

Thanks David, so very much. Still got a way to go with learning how to use a dynamic mic well, but I've made a start.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 10:09:43 am »
Thanks David, so very much. Still got a way to go with learning how to use a dynamic mic well, but I've made a start.

And the way I see it, that is what OM is all about...an opportunity to continue to learn.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 10:11:24 am »
Thanks Bala. This morning was the worst. I spent a great deal of time in the toilet. Sorry if that's too much information  ::)   To stop myself from backing out I posted on Facebook that I was doing an open mic. My teacher replied and what he said locked me in. I would never let him down, he's backed me with such generosity. The guys at the gig were fantastic. Adam, the sound guy said just the right things, gave me a big hug and got it all sounding good.

It’s all right Maggie! I did the same thing before my open mic. In fact I thought about backing out from my first two. But to avoid making that same mistake that I did 10 years ago, I invited people to go see me. That way I couldn’t disappoint and disrespect them by not showing up 😊 but it’s all good. And I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable experience. All thanks to your teacher for that push in the right direction! 😊

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 10:14:22 am »
That's so huge! Made my morning. You're such a positive force, and it's so great to see you doing this. What a nice step for you too. It's really a natural progression to play out in a live venue, and very cool to have a stage mate. It gets easier and I hope to see and hear more from you in the future.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 10:21:46 am »
Oh Maggie.
Here you are.
And there is a light shining upon you.
Bravo you magnificent Mrs B.
:)

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 11:18:41 am »
Argh, what a tease  ;D Totally looking forward to the video/audio :)
Kudos for taking the next step! :) :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 11:43:45 am »
Well done Maggie,
Good to see such a lot of your encouraging vibes come bouncing straight back at ya!  ;)

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 12:52:07 pm »
Congratulations Maggie! I know it can't be easy to muster up the courage to do that. Something to be very proud of. Good vibes for this.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 04:06:51 pm »
Love me some sexy guitarists :)

Hope it went well for you!

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 05:39:32 pm »
Well done batty. Absolutely thrilled you did this. Keep goingbwhats the worst that can happen. You're only here once make the most of it.

What did you play?

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 06:37:15 pm »
Yay Maggie! So proud of you! Is video coming? I hope it it! I hope you sang Chocolate Jesus.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 08:38:51 pm »
That's so huge! Made my morning. You're such a positive force, and it's so great to see you doing this. What a nice step for you too. It's really a natural progression to play out in a live venue, and very cool to have a stage mate. It gets easier and I hope to see and hear more from you in the future.

Thanks Clint for understanding how huge this was for me. I don't understand the conflict between this drive in me to perform, even at my basic, flawed level, and the rational question 'why put myself through this?' I have two more performances lined up in the next 4 weeks.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 08:39:40 pm »
Oh Maggie.
Here you are.
And there is a light shining upon you.
Bravo you magnificent Mrs B.
:)

Always so coolio with the words Richard, ta very much  :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 08:40:41 pm »
Argh, what a tease  ;D Totally looking forward to the video/audio :)
Kudos for taking the next step! :) :)

Sorry Max, not wanting to tease, just so pleased with myself I had to post a photo.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 08:42:33 pm »
Well done Maggie,
Good to see such a lot of your encouraging vibes come bouncing straight back at ya!  ;)

If I could have even a teaspoon of your ability to front up and perform ...

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2019, 08:43:24 pm »
Congratulations Maggie! I know it can't be easy to muster up the courage to do that. Something to be very proud of. Good vibes for this.

Thanks so much Hilts. Your understanding and vibes mean a lot to me.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 08:45:32 pm »
Love me some sexy guitarists :)

Hope it went well for you!

Ha ha Endureth, at the ripe old age of 700, sexy ain't a word that gets used. I have another performance lined up in 6 days time and I'm playing bass for one of the songs. Will do my best to channel some Endureth talent. That will be sexy!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2019, 08:47:55 pm »
Well done batty. Absolutely thrilled you did this. Keep going whats the worst that can happen. You're only here once make the most of it.

What did you play?

Thanks Gareth. You're so right in what you say. I made a promise to myself at the start of this year I was going to sieze every opportunity that came my way. Drink deep of the cup of life. I played Chocolate Jesus and We are Gonna Be Friends.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 08:49:17 pm »
Yay Maggie! So proud of you! Is video coming? I hope it it! I hope you sang Chocolate Jesus.

Thanks Lynn. Yes I sang CJ and yes, a video is coming. David is going to edit it for me. He's busy this week.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2019, 08:59:53 pm »
Thanks Gareth. You're so right in what you say. I made a promise to myself at the start of this year I was going to sieze every opportunity that came my way. Drink deep of the cup of life. I played Chocolate Jesus and We are Gonna Be Friends.
Excellent. They are solid numbers of yours I'm sure you killed it. And if you didn't just go back and try again. I had to bale on a song last time and restart it, it won't stop me going again. Failure is really not that bad. Looking forward to the video.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline 8livesleft

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2019, 12:14:18 am »
Amazing!

After decades of playing guitar, I still can't get in front of a crowd.

Good on you! And keep up your inspiring work!

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App