Author Topic: 003 2019 The Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden (cover)  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
003 2019 The Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden (cover)
« on: November 23, 2019, 06:45:22 am »
Hello all,

I had a hard time deciding on the song that makes me smile and/or happy because there are plenty such songs in my playlist. Just a bunch of Beatles songs are enough to get me there and there are so many other songs with fond memories. But I realized this would be "The song" considering the time of the year. The song was always pleasing to me. Extremely catchy tune with the signature weave from the Ronnie and Keith (which I couldn't replicate at all, hopefully could have a lesson from you Justin? ;)). I learnt an easy version of the riff very early on in the 2nd phase of my guitar journey and wanted to do a cover for the longest time. This and Gimme shelter are probably what got me listening to the Stones. So to be able to finally do a Stones cover is enough to make me happy.

The Rolling Stones are also the first and the only major band that I've seen in concert till date. It's a wonderful memory of mine since 2015. They didn't play the song in that particular concert though (sad yea but they played gimme shelter... twice!). The same year for Christmas, I got a Rolling stones t-shirt as a gift from my girlfriend (the T-shirt from the display picture). So what other song could I have chosen for the theme and the season eh? Besides it's a song about wanting to make love. Is there any other thing that could put a smile on any man's face?! :D

Anyways, enough essay writing. Please enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/balamuthiah/the-rolling-stones-beast-of-burden-cover

Also, thanks to David for listening to the song and giving me some valuable pointers to improve the song. I hope I did well :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:13:08 pm by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: The Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden (cover)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 07:31:50 am »
Got the mellow vibe of the song, Bala.  Your various guitar parts meshed well together.  Weaving like the masters Keith and Ronnie, keep at it and surely you'll develop better and better feel. 

Did a good job on the vocals and smoothed out some of what I though were rough edges in this final mix.

So all round an enjoyable production of one of their signature tunes ... though like you I'd take Gimme Shelter over Beast of Burden ... Some Girls not one of my favourite albums (though could do a lot worse)

Well done.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 08:01:14 am »
Got the mellow vibe of the song, Bala.  Your various guitar parts meshed well together.  Weaving like the masters Keith and Ronnie, keep at it and surely you'll develop better and better feel. 

Did a good job on the vocals and smoothed out some of what I though were rough edges in this final mix.

So all round an enjoyable production of one of their signature tunes ... though like you I'd take Gimme Shelter over Beast of Burden ... Some Girls not one of my favourite albums (though could do a lot worse)

Well done.

Thank you for all the help and your kind words David. I'm definitely gonna dig deep into the Rolling stones kind of weaving. Hopefully someday I could have a partner whom I could weave with and sound anywhere near as good as the Stones! :)

I had a lot of production go into this. Probably the biggest I've done in terms of what went in. Don't even remember most of it! :D

I love a lot of their bluesy tunes from the 60's but this one stuck to me since the first time I listened to it. Then again the first time I had heard the stones was in the early 2000's when they released Rain fall down. And I wasn't really impressed. Beast of burden is a million times better :D but that's all down to personal opinion I guess. :) Would love to cover Gimme shelter someday for sure!

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 11:35:51 am »
As David said, you've got the vibe of the song going on here. Like the vocals a lot. Always liked this song a ton. That signature weave on the original is awesome. I've seen the Stones twice and both shows were highly entertaining with lots of energy from Mick. You did a great job Bala. Note: Gimme Shelter is my all-time favourite Stones song.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 01:12:07 pm »
As David said, you've got the vibe of the song going on here. Like the vocals a lot. Always liked this song a ton. That signature weave on the original is awesome. I've seen the Stones twice and both shows were highly entertaining with lots of energy from Mick. You did a great job Bala. Note: Gimme Shelter is my all-time favourite Stones song.

Thank you for the listen and comments hilts 😊 Mick has energy for days! I don’t know how long ago you had been to the stones concert but the guy still has the moves! And the rest of the band sound great too! True legends of classic rock! 🤘🏾

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 01:43:07 pm »
I love a lot of their bluesy tunes from the 60's but this one stuck to me since the first time I listened to it. Then again the first time I had heard the stones was in the early 2000's when they released Rain fall down. And I wasn't really impressed. Beast of burden is a million times better :D but that's all down to personal opinion I guess. :) Would love to cover Gimme shelter someday for sure!

Well they've settled kept going, that's for sure.  Though I suppose a fair point can be made that, they've traded heavily on an unbelievable catalog of great songs produced over the years and putting on a great show. I saw them in South Africa, a one time visit, on the Voodoo Lounge tour back in 1995. 

Personally, I'd suggest you listen to Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street, the 4 albums released from 1968-1972.  I reckon that is the Stones at their best.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 09:39:50 pm »
Well they've settled kept going, that's for sure.  Though I suppose a fair point can be made that, they've traded heavily on an unbelievable catalog of great songs produced over the years and putting on a great show. I saw them in South Africa, a one time visit, on the Voodoo Lounge tour back in 1995. 

Personally, I'd suggest you listen to Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street, the 4 albums released from 1968-1972.  I reckon that is the Stones at their best.

Ooh those are some of my favorite albums from the stones! Sticky fingers is probably my most favorite. But it’s amazing how the core of the band stuck together for so long. Makes me jealous as a fan of the Beatles.

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 01:17:09 pm »
Hey Bala,

Great version of a cool song  8)
The Beatles were my gateway drug, which is where most of my pocket money went. The little that was left went on 'Rolled Gold' by the Stones (till 1969) and whatever turned up on the radio.

You did a stonking version of this and should be well pleased with yourself.

My only criticism would be that I would have chosen to enter your hot cookin' 'Chain Gang' homage instead, as that brought an even bigger smile to my ugly mug  ;)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 01:38:33 pm »
Hey Bala,

Great version of a cool song  8)
The Beatles were my gateway drug, which is where most of my pocket money went. The little that was left went on 'Rolled Gold' by the Stones (till 1969) and whatever turned up on the radio.

You did a stonking version of this and should be well pleased with yourself.

My only criticism would be that I would have chosen to enter your hot cookin' 'Chain Gang' homage instead, as that brought an even bigger smile to my ugly mug  ;)

Thank you for the nice comments Brian! 😊 you always have such an amazing way with words 😁 I wish I was born in the same era! To experience all that good music first hand!

As for entering chain gang... I wasn’t finished with the project at the time I entered. Now that I think about it, I could’ve waited a bit longer since the competition doesn’t end until the end of December. I had plenty of other songs too in mind. But hey this song has more justification because apparently my gf bought me another Rolling Stones t-shirt for Christmas this year! 😅

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 06:47:18 pm »
Okay now that was just awesome Bala, I loved it. The entries for this quarter are all really impressive so far.  The Stones have such a deep playlist of incredible music (55 years will do that!). My favorite Stones tune is Honky Tonk Woman, but all the ones mentioned in this thread are right up there. I love the vibe I get from their music, so unrestrained, playing with abandon. I'm putting this one right to the top of my list of songs to learn. Thanks for the distraction from what I'm already working on lol.

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 11:27:44 pm »
Okay now that was just awesome Bala, I loved it. The entries for this quarter are all really impressive so far.  The Stones have such a deep playlist of incredible music (55 years will do that!). My favorite Stones tune is Honky Tonk Woman, but all the ones mentioned in this thread are right up there. I love the vibe I get from their music, so unrestrained, playing with abandon. I'm putting this one right to the top of my list of songs to learn. Thanks for the distraction from what I'm already working on lol.

Mari

Thank you Mari! 😊 very true about the vibe of the stones. Also allows you to be sloppy (kinda) which I love. I can only play this, gimme shelter and paint it black at the moment. Justin has a bunch of lessons already that I want to check out. I read somewhere that he was in a stones cover band. Knowing him, this means that his stones lessons are gonna be extremely detailed! 😊 wild horses has been on my mind for a while too. Looking forward to the project you’re working on 😊

Offline kontenda

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 02:42:36 pm »
This is great Balamuthiah. You've got the vocals down, the guitar down and as others have mentioned the whole vibe  - you have it down. An RS song that makes me happy/makes me smile - is quite similar - Waiting for a Friend. Really enjoyed this rendition of yours  - it sounds like you had great fun making it.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 04:36:07 am »
This is great Balamuthiah. You've got the vocals down, the guitar down and as others have mentioned the whole vibe  - you have it down. Really enjoyed this rendition of yours  - it sounds like you had great fun making it.

Thank you for the kind words Kontenda. I had tons of fun making this!

An RS song that makes me happy/makes me smile - is quite similar - Waiting for a Friend.

Never heard that one before but I will check it out :)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 07:17:27 am »
Never heard that one before but I will check it out :)

Song is from the early 80s album Tattoo You, which includes the anthem Start Me Up and one of my personal favourite Stones tunes Little T&A

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 11:45:41 am »
Song is from the early 80s album Tattoo You, which includes the anthem Start Me Up and one of my personal favourite Stones tunes Little T&A

Oooh! I love start me up. Never listened to the rest of the album though. I’ll check it out 😊

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 11:58:31 am »
Oooh! I love start me up. Never listened to the rest of the album though. I’ll check it out 😊

Yeah, Start Me Up, is one of those classic Keith Richards open G riffs.  Brown Sugar is another, which I hope you have also heard  ;)

In return for all this Stones focus, you should know that I am working on Eight Days A Week and plan to record a one take shot at it in the near future  ;D

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 12:53:54 pm »
Yeah, Start Me Up, is one of those classic Keith Richards open G riffs.  Brown Sugar is another, which I hope you have also heard  ;)

In return for all this Stones focus, you should know that I am working on Eight Days A Week and plan to record a one take shot at it in the near future  ;D

Yup I sure know Brown sugar. I in fact learnt the main riff a while ago. It's a fun song and maybe I will do it sometime. ;)

Eight days a week is a fun song to play too. I've got to do a Beatles song as well since it's been a good while :)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 11:36:57 pm »
I'll be honest.

• I liked the production, cool mixdown
  • The guitar parts in combo with the bass had some rhythm/timing issues

but
...the moment I heard the vocal.
DAMN. no need to double-track yourself.
I heard a kind of Bruce Springsteen but with that British attitude and grit.
a timbre right in the middle to have that lower mid growl when it's confident but performing confident and powerful in higher registers.
I heard a voice that is capable of many genres, tempos and style.
If you make some covers your own, taking songs on a different path and you give your voice more room to express yourself, you'll be doin more than "acccompanying yourself".

My feeling is that you keeping it simple on guitar, just creating dynamic with volume, panache and bravado, you can make that voice of you shine even more.
From that point, you don't need to worry about "rich" productions with overdubs and many instruments.
Your voice clearly has more than enough to need just that single guitar and a ton of expression from your heart to nail it completely!

anyway, that's my two cents, don't let some crazy Belgian cloud your vision and judgement ;)
As I said; I heard that vocal and it intrigued me :)

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 05:16:00 am »
I'll be honest.

• I liked the production, cool mixdown
  • The guitar parts in combo with the bass had some rhythm/timing issues

but
...the moment I heard the vocal.
DAMN. no need to double-track yourself.
I heard a kind of Bruce Springsteen but with that British attitude and grit.
a timbre right in the middle to have that lower mid growl when it's confident but performing confident and powerful in higher registers.
I heard a voice that is capable of many genres, tempos and style.
If you make some covers your own, taking songs on a different path and you give your voice more room to express yourself, you'll be doin more than "acccompanying yourself".

My feeling is that you keeping it simple on guitar, just creating dynamic with volume, panache and bravado, you can make that voice of you shine even more.
From that point, you don't need to worry about "rich" productions with overdubs and many instruments.
Your voice clearly has more than enough to need just that single guitar and a ton of expression from your heart to nail it completely!

anyway, that's my two cents, don't let some crazy Belgian cloud your vision and judgement ;)
As I said; I heard that vocal and it intrigued me :)

Thank you for the listen and comments Lieven. Wow, I'm really lost for words from your kind words. And nothing crazy about your giving me your opinion. (I didn't know you were Belgian. I'm a huge fan of Eden Hazard and Belgian chocolate and beer!)

Initially I was more of a singer songwriter kinda guy with just a guitar and myself, and I still do enjoy doing that. But ever since I started posting on this community, I had a growing exposure to recording different layers and it was a fun challenge to me. Being a Beatles fan, I enjoyed being able to do such productions (Although I would still consider myself to be a beginner). I've always wanted to play with a band and since I'm not able to find a band that would take me in yet, I found such productions to be places where I could sort of enjoy that kind of thing. It also gives me a chance to play bass, test out sounds and keep time and everything (which I still have a difficult time with).

That said, I would definitely take your advice on adding a personal twist to covers. I do have a lot of stripped down performances planned too. I do want to improve my dynamics, especially since I've started doing live performances recently :) Thank you once again for your feedback. It means a lot! :)

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 01:13:46 am »
Bala,
I agree with Lieven, your vocal is great. I think you've found your direction in terms of vocals and you should make sure you choose your material that shows off the voice. All round I thought the whole production was impressive and the blended multi tracked guitar parts all worked really well together.
Really impressive.
Neil

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 10:15:09 am »
Bala,
I agree with Lieven, your vocal is great. I think you've found your direction in terms of vocals and you should make sure you choose your material that shows off the voice. All round I thought the whole production was impressive and the blended multi tracked guitar parts all worked really well together.
Really impressive.
Neil

Thank you so much Neil. I’m currently picking out some songs that are in my range and trying to make arrangements for them. Will hopefully have some early next year. 😊

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 567
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 10:58:53 am »
You've had so many encouraging, positive and helpful comments already Bala that I'm going to feel like I'm just adding to the chorus as I chime in with more of the same.
The two most striking aspects for me are your vocal and the guitar overlays.
Stretching your singing up to a higher register and investing real feeling has worked wonders and elevates this to a whole other level.
Making a stab at the Stones interweaving guitar parts is a bold step and you've grabbed at the opportunity fully. I'm with Lieven a little in that I hear some tiny issues possibly on timing or mixing tracks together - it's a little difficult to pin-point.
Great stuff and mine this seam for all it's worth. :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 08:24:46 am »
You've had so many encouraging, positive and helpful comments already Bala that I'm going to feel like I'm just adding to the chorus as I chime in with more of the same.
The two most striking aspects for me are your vocal and the guitar overlays.
Stretching your singing up to a higher register and investing real feeling has worked wonders and elevates this to a whole other level.
Making a stab at the Stones interweaving guitar parts is a bold step and you've grabbed at the opportunity fully. I'm with Lieven a little in that I hear some tiny issues possibly on timing or mixing tracks together - it's a little difficult to pin-point.
Great stuff and mine this seam for all it's worth. :)

Thank you Close for all the kind words. Singing with emotions is difficult sometimes when the singers sing out of my range :D So have to thank Mick for keeping it in my range somewhat. The Rolling stones type weaving would be definitely something I want to try out with my band sometime. I would really love to correct the timing issue. My sister told me there was something wrong with the drums. I did play using the software keyboard on Logic pro. Could be that my drum timing was bad maybe? Would like to know more on that. Thank you for the listen and comments :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 11:31:48 am »
I'm smiling! You doing great on what is a hard vocal!

The guitar is weaving well too - it's got some of the stones swagger going on too. And the fill lines are working well.

Some of the drum/bass programming parts could loosen up - but that is super hard to program, even for super experienced programmers. you might explore some thing Superior Drummer software to get some of that.

Many things are hard in this song - and you did a really great job on this dude! :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 04:42:14 pm »
I'm smiling! You doing great on what is a hard vocal!

The guitar is weaving well too - it's got some of the stones swagger going on too. And the fill lines are working well.

Some of the drum/bass programming parts could loosen up - but that is super hard to program, even for super experienced programmers. you might explore some thing Superior Drummer software to get some of that.

Many things are hard in this song - and you did a really great job on this dude! :)

Thank you Justin! Means a lot to hear from you always! Don’t know about the swagger but I tend to do the Keith Richards face whenever I take a crack at stones tunes. It’s sort of a natural reaction of mine 😁 I also like Keith’s way of soloing since it’s simple to copy (to an extent) yet powerful.

I’ll check out the superior drummer software. Then again I do have a drummer now so I’ll also try to seek his help with my recordings. Would also make it a little more natural that way! 😊

Get The Forum As A Mobile App