Author Topic: 003 2019 The Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden (cover)  (Read 1601 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: The Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden (cover)
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 11:58:31 am »
Oooh! I love start me up. Never listened to the rest of the album though. I’ll check it out 😊

Yeah, Start Me Up, is one of those classic Keith Richards open G riffs.  Brown Sugar is another, which I hope you have also heard  ;)

In return for all this Stones focus, you should know that I am working on Eight Days A Week and plan to record a one take shot at it in the near future  ;D

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 12:53:54 pm »
Yeah, Start Me Up, is one of those classic Keith Richards open G riffs.  Brown Sugar is another, which I hope you have also heard  ;)

In return for all this Stones focus, you should know that I am working on Eight Days A Week and plan to record a one take shot at it in the near future  ;D

Yup I sure know Brown sugar. I in fact learnt the main riff a while ago. It's a fun song and maybe I will do it sometime. ;)

Eight days a week is a fun song to play too. I've got to do a Beatles song as well since it's been a good while :)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 163
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 11:36:57 pm »
I'll be honest.

• I liked the production, cool mixdown
  • The guitar parts in combo with the bass had some rhythm/timing issues

but
...the moment I heard the vocal.
DAMN. no need to double-track yourself.
I heard a kind of Bruce Springsteen but with that British attitude and grit.
a timbre right in the middle to have that lower mid growl when it's confident but performing confident and powerful in higher registers.
I heard a voice that is capable of many genres, tempos and style.
If you make some covers your own, taking songs on a different path and you give your voice more room to express yourself, you'll be doin more than "acccompanying yourself".

My feeling is that you keeping it simple on guitar, just creating dynamic with volume, panache and bravado, you can make that voice of you shine even more.
From that point, you don't need to worry about "rich" productions with overdubs and many instruments.
Your voice clearly has more than enough to need just that single guitar and a ton of expression from your heart to nail it completely!

anyway, that's my two cents, don't let some crazy Belgian cloud your vision and judgement ;)
As I said; I heard that vocal and it intrigued me :)

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 05:16:00 am »
I'll be honest.

• I liked the production, cool mixdown
  • The guitar parts in combo with the bass had some rhythm/timing issues

but
...the moment I heard the vocal.
DAMN. no need to double-track yourself.
I heard a kind of Bruce Springsteen but with that British attitude and grit.
a timbre right in the middle to have that lower mid growl when it's confident but performing confident and powerful in higher registers.
I heard a voice that is capable of many genres, tempos and style.
If you make some covers your own, taking songs on a different path and you give your voice more room to express yourself, you'll be doin more than "acccompanying yourself".

My feeling is that you keeping it simple on guitar, just creating dynamic with volume, panache and bravado, you can make that voice of you shine even more.
From that point, you don't need to worry about "rich" productions with overdubs and many instruments.
Your voice clearly has more than enough to need just that single guitar and a ton of expression from your heart to nail it completely!

anyway, that's my two cents, don't let some crazy Belgian cloud your vision and judgement ;)
As I said; I heard that vocal and it intrigued me :)

Thank you for the listen and comments Lieven. Wow, I'm really lost for words from your kind words. And nothing crazy about your giving me your opinion. (I didn't know you were Belgian. I'm a huge fan of Eden Hazard and Belgian chocolate and beer!)

Initially I was more of a singer songwriter kinda guy with just a guitar and myself, and I still do enjoy doing that. But ever since I started posting on this community, I had a growing exposure to recording different layers and it was a fun challenge to me. Being a Beatles fan, I enjoyed being able to do such productions (Although I would still consider myself to be a beginner). I've always wanted to play with a band and since I'm not able to find a band that would take me in yet, I found such productions to be places where I could sort of enjoy that kind of thing. It also gives me a chance to play bass, test out sounds and keep time and everything (which I still have a difficult time with).

That said, I would definitely take your advice on adding a personal twist to covers. I do have a lot of stripped down performances planned too. I do want to improve my dynamics, especially since I've started doing live performances recently :) Thank you once again for your feedback. It means a lot! :)

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 01:13:46 am »
Bala,
I agree with Lieven, your vocal is great. I think you've found your direction in terms of vocals and you should make sure you choose your material that shows off the voice. All round I thought the whole production was impressive and the blended multi tracked guitar parts all worked really well together.
Really impressive.
Neil

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 10:15:09 am »
Bala,
I agree with Lieven, your vocal is great. I think you've found your direction in terms of vocals and you should make sure you choose your material that shows off the voice. All round I thought the whole production was impressive and the blended multi tracked guitar parts all worked really well together.
Really impressive.
Neil

Thank you so much Neil. I’m currently picking out some songs that are in my range and trying to make arrangements for them. Will hopefully have some early next year. 😊

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 475
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 10:58:53 am »
You've had so many encouraging, positive and helpful comments already Bala that I'm going to feel like I'm just adding to the chorus as I chime in with more of the same.
The two most striking aspects for me are your vocal and the guitar overlays.
Stretching your singing up to a higher register and investing real feeling has worked wonders and elevates this to a whole other level.
Making a stab at the Stones interweaving guitar parts is a bold step and you've grabbed at the opportunity fully. I'm with Lieven a little in that I hear some tiny issues possibly on timing or mixing tracks together - it's a little difficult to pin-point.
Great stuff and mine this seam for all it's worth. :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 08:24:46 am »
You've had so many encouraging, positive and helpful comments already Bala that I'm going to feel like I'm just adding to the chorus as I chime in with more of the same.
The two most striking aspects for me are your vocal and the guitar overlays.
Stretching your singing up to a higher register and investing real feeling has worked wonders and elevates this to a whole other level.
Making a stab at the Stones interweaving guitar parts is a bold step and you've grabbed at the opportunity fully. I'm with Lieven a little in that I hear some tiny issues possibly on timing or mixing tracks together - it's a little difficult to pin-point.
Great stuff and mine this seam for all it's worth. :)

Thank you Close for all the kind words. Singing with emotions is difficult sometimes when the singers sing out of my range :D So have to thank Mick for keeping it in my range somewhat. The Rolling stones type weaving would be definitely something I want to try out with my band sometime. I would really love to correct the timing issue. My sister told me there was something wrong with the drums. I did play using the software keyboard on Logic pro. Could be that my drum timing was bad maybe? Would like to know more on that. Thank you for the listen and comments :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 11:31:48 am »
I'm smiling! You doing great on what is a hard vocal!

The guitar is weaving well too - it's got some of the stones swagger going on too. And the fill lines are working well.

Some of the drum/bass programming parts could loosen up - but that is super hard to program, even for super experienced programmers. you might explore some thing Superior Drummer software to get some of that.

Many things are hard in this song - and you did a really great job on this dude! :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 04:42:14 pm »
I'm smiling! You doing great on what is a hard vocal!

The guitar is weaving well too - it's got some of the stones swagger going on too. And the fill lines are working well.

Some of the drum/bass programming parts could loosen up - but that is super hard to program, even for super experienced programmers. you might explore some thing Superior Drummer software to get some of that.

Many things are hard in this song - and you did a really great job on this dude! :)

Thank you Justin! Means a lot to hear from you always! Don’t know about the swagger but I tend to do the Keith Richards face whenever I take a crack at stones tunes. It’s sort of a natural reaction of mine 😁 I also like Keith’s way of soloing since it’s simple to copy (to an extent) yet powerful.

I’ll check out the superior drummer software. Then again I do have a drummer now so I’ll also try to seek his help with my recordings. Would also make it a little more natural that way! 😊

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 003 2019 The Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden (cover)
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 05:51:28 am »
Congrats on 3rd place, Bala.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App