Author Topic: Third open mic  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Third open mic
« on: November 16, 2019, 05:32:02 pm »
Hello all. I was back at it again. This was the last open mic at the place for this year. I went in with the bassist from our family day gig this time. Thought I'd concentrate on my guitar more this time. So, he sang two songs and I did one but did backing vocals on the other two (although I thought my mic was a little low). I felt very confident having him by my side. I also decided to go electric this time with some amp gain and some delay. I thought it went well overall. Please share your thoughts :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ojmJCj61vQ

Setlist:
1. Incubus - Drive (thank you Justin for doing a lesson on this)
2. Sum41 - Pieces
3. Nirvana - On a plain

Drive and on a plain were songs that I had to learn and it was fun learning some new chords around the neck and to do a dropped D tuning on stage.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Third open mic
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 08:02:32 am »
Take a bow Bala ... you've kicked up and on through these Open Mics.

As for your mic ... I'd be inclined to ask if the sound engineer went out for a burger, beer and bathroom break through your set.  As you say, your mic level was down to low.  I don't know if your guitar amp was mic'ed or not.  If mic'ed I think that was also a little low, if not mic'ed then he ought to have told you in time honoured fashion "Turn it UP, dude".

All of course IMHO as a "master" mixer/engineer  :o

That aside, I really enjoyed your set and watched a couple of people in the audience bopping along.  I think the two of you sound great toegther. 

Apart from the level of the guitar, I'd suggest next time give the guitar sound just a little more attitude, if you have the gear to do so ... nothing wrong with a clean, funkier sound, just felt it sounded a little thin.  Of course, I'm not too clued up on electric guitar tone, so just my 2cs worth and no reasonable suggestions as to what I think you could try.

Knowing you are a Jimi fan ... get yourself a drummer and get them playing some of your originals ... you'll rock.

Oh and good marks on the look as well  8)

Bravo

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 08:29:26 am »
Thank you for the listen and feedback David. Haha you saw through it all! The sound engineer was away from the system the whole time! So the mic level is totally him. However, the guitar was on me. I had taken my overdrive pedal with me. However, I only had one adapter which powered the delay pedal and my overdrive pedal couldn’t be powered. So I apologize for the clean sound. That said we practiced all three songs based on the acoustic versions so I kinda kept it clean to stay true to it (that’s my excuse 😉)

The bassist came to my last open mic and suggested we do this one together. The irony is that his wife is the band’s drummer but she didn’t want to join (she shot the video). I just need to convince her for next time 😁 as for the looks... thank you! I just need to lose some weight and grow my hair longer and I’ll be the part! 😊

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 08:54:36 am »
Always a pleasure, Bala ... I reckon you are right on track now.

You say the bassist's wife is the band's drummer.  Just to be clear ... is this band you and the bass player or some other band that maybe you'd join ... what's the story?

And to be more clear my side, I think the clean tone was cool, nothing wrong with cleaner tone.  Just more for me about how to somehow fatten it up a bit.  I have this problem when I play my electric, trying to get those rich, fat tones, whether they are clean or highly over-driven and distorted. My guitar always just sounds so thin by comparison to what I want to hear.

And I guess the "note to self" is pretty obvious ... time for a properly setup pedal board with the necessary power supply. 

And once you have that, would I be right in saying you can plug the final output of the pedal chain directly into the house mixing desk and be heard through the PA?  I think I have seen guys do that at the OMs I have now gone to.

That might be better until such time as you have a Jimi style Marshall/Fender stack :)  Especially once the drummer is up on stage with you ... you going to blow them away  8)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 09:07:21 am »
Always a pleasure, Bala ... I reckon you are right on track now.

You say the bassist's wife is the band's drummer.  Just to be clear ... is this band you and the bass player or some other band that maybe you'd join ... what's the story?

And to be more clear my side, I think the clean tone was cool, nothing wrong with cleaner tone.  Just more for me about how to somehow fatten it up a bit.  I have this problem when I play my electric, trying to get those rich, fat tones, whether they are clean or highly over-driven and distorted. My guitar always just sounds so thin by comparison to what I want to hear.

And I guess the "note to self" is pretty obvious ... time for a properly setup pedal board with the necessary power supply. 

And once you have that, would I be right in saying you can plug the final output of the pedal chain directly into the house mixing desk and be heard through the PA?  I think I have seen guys do that at the OMs I have now gone to.

That might be better until such time as you have a Jimi style Marshall/Fender stack :)  Especially once the drummer is up on stage with you ... you going to blow them away  8)

So it goes like this. Remember how I asked the lead guitarist at the family day gig two years ago if I could play the next year? He formed a band with the bassist, his wife and one other guy for a rhythm guitarist/vocalist. But lately they’ve asked me to be an opening act for them while they would either support me or I go solo. So you could say I’m unofficially in the band or I am their official opening act.

The pedal board is a good point that you brought up. I’ve been eyeing it at the store that I do the open mics at and at the end of this gig, I realized that it’s about time I get one. Delay, fuzz, overdrive, reverb, looper and wag would be my setup. And one thing I forgot to mention elsewhere is I got a new amp. I have a 40w tube powered Marshall amp which is just AMAZING! If I could get the right support, I should be practicing some Hendrix soon 😊

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 09:17:29 am »
Bravo Bala.
And quite a step up from solo acoustic to duo electric.
You will learn heaps about what to take, how to setup etc each time you do it.
One thought - for a quick easy portable setup why not take along a multi-fx unit. One with an expression pedal. There are huge ones but I'm thinking of a simple one with a small footprint.
You'll only need one power supply too.
Zoom G3X comes to mind.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 09:34:45 am »
So it goes like this. Remember how I asked the lead guitarist at the family day gig two years ago if I could play the next year? He formed a band with the bassist, his wife and one other guy for a rhythm guitarist/vocalist. But lately they’ve asked me to be an opening act for them while they would either support me or I go solo. So you could say I’m unofficially in the band or I am their official opening act.

Seems like setting up bands, the ins and outs, are tricky under-takings.  Thinking also of some of Kasper's recent stories.  Well, can just say I hope you get something together that is fun and harmonious, both in terms of the playing as well as the human dynamics.

The pedal board is a good point that you brought up. I’ve been eyeing it at the store that I do the open mics at and at the end of this gig, I realized that it’s about time I get one. Delay, fuzz, overdrive, reverb, looper and wag would be my setup. And one thing I forgot to mention elsewhere is I got a new amp. I have a 40w tube powered Marshall amp which is just AMAZING! If I could get the right support, I should be practicing some Hendrix soon 😊

I see Richard has made a smart suggestion that could help with getting it up and going.

As you know I am no expert, but would assume the looper is more for practice or are you planning more of an Ed Sheeran type of live layering thing?

In the pedal chain, I'd also "expect" to see a compressor and maybe even an EQ?  Chorus can also be useful, I understand, for fattening up a single guitar.

Maybe Richard's suggestion makes sense as a way to experiment with different pedals and combinations before getting into individual pedals, which brands and settling on a sequence.

Congrats on the Marshall ... did you have that at the gig?  In which case I guess have to say again, turn it up and get those valves hot :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 09:37:02 am »
Bravo Bala.
And quite a step up from solo acoustic to duo electric.
You will learn heaps about what to take, how to setup etc each time you do it.
One thought - for a quick easy portable setup why not take along a multi-fx unit. One with an expression pedal. There are huge ones but I'm thinking of a simple one with a small footprint.
You'll only need one power supply too.
Zoom G3X comes to mind.

Thank you Close!
Oh! How I wanted to pull out the strat so badly! But as you say, so many things to learn. For setup as well as techniques. Working on some muting and efficient picking techniques as well.
I hope you don’t mind me asking but what is an expression pedal? I’ll check out the store to see if they have the Zoom G3X that I could try out. 😊 thank you for sharing your experience Close! It really means a lot 😊

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 10:40:05 am »

I hope you don’t mind me asking but what is an expression pedal?
On a multi-fx it is a rockable foot pedal that you can assign different functions to ... Wah, or Volume (for quiet / loud or volume swells etc).

I had the old version of the Zoom G3X and it was great.
The new has some new features although loses out in PC connectivity I think.
It can be split with one going to your amp and one going direct to PA also as it has amp simulation.

Similar choices - at a budget range to keep it narrowly focussed for now - could be:

Mooer GE100
Digitech Element XP
Vox Stomplab

Long term for gigging you want a sturdy construction with a metal housing. But as a short term item with a lot to offer and a lot to gain and not much to lose, the cheaper ones would be a great place to start.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 10:41:59 am »
Seems like setting up bands, the ins and outs, are tricky under-takings.  Thinking also of some of Kasper's recent stories.  Well, can just say I hope you get something together that is fun and harmonious, both in terms of the playing as well as the human dynamics.

Very tricky indeed. But I've been having a lot of fun just being able to play and sing :) So as long as I get that, I'm happy!

I see Richard has made a smart suggestion that could help with getting it up and going.

As you know I am no expert, but would assume the looper is more for practice or are you planning more of an Ed Sheeran type of live layering thing?

In the pedal chain, I'd also "expect" to see a compressor and maybe even an EQ?  Chorus can also be useful, I understand, for fattening up a single guitar.

Maybe Richard's suggestion makes sense as a way to experiment with different pedals and combinations before getting into individual pedals, which brands and settling on a sequence.

Congrats on the Marshall ... did you have that at the gig?  In which case I guess have to say again, turn it up and get those valves hot :)

The looper would come in handy when I go solo and have to play songs that require layers. Sort of like Ed Sheeran yes. Compressor, chorus and EQ are all in my wishlist :) I do need to come up with a plan of what I want to sound like and it's true that I need to experiment with different pedals. So, I will definitely take Close's advice.

As for the Marshall, I didn't use it for the Open mic this time. But I definitely plan on cranking it up and unleashing the beast in future gigs. I had the pleasure to try out a katana at the store this time. :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 10:47:50 am »
On a multi-fx it is a rockable foot pedal that you can assign different functions to ... Wah, or Volume (for quiet / loud or volume swells etc).

I had the old version of the Zoom G3X and it was great.
The new has some new features although loses out in PC connectivity I think.
It can be split with one going to your amp and one going direct to PA also as it has amp simulation.

Similar choices - at a budget range to keep it narrowly focussed for now - could be:

Mooer GE100
Digitech Element XP
Vox Stomplab

Long term for gigging you want a sturdy construction with a metal housing. But as a short term item with a lot to offer and a lot to gain and not much to lose, the cheaper ones would be a great place to start.

Ah! So I'm guessing it works like a wah pedal. Sort of like a throttle to add and remove effects and balance them?

I feel some G.A.S exploding with the multi-fx. I'll see what they have at the store. Especially since thanksgiving is around the corner and there should be some good deals I can look forward to. Thank you for the tips Close! :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App