Author Topic: Gear4Music Strat type 12 string kit build  (Read 1037 times)

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 4
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
Gear4Music Strat type 12 string kit build
« on: November 11, 2019, 04:20:23 pm »
I thought it might be helpful if I moved this build to the DIY section rather than keep updating my Roadcase thread.

Next build project on the go, Gear4Music LA 12 String Strat type, it was cheaper than the Telecaster model but I figured the with Strat type body it was easier to experiment with different pick ups, I'm thinking of starting with 2 x  Humbuckers or maybe P90s, tuners will be replaced with Wilkinson EZ-LOC units as they work perfectly in the Telecaster I built.  I'll probably go with the supplied nut for now but the bridge looks like a copy of a Gotoh unit, which given that the Fender version was made in Japan was probably what they used, at around £50 I think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: Gear4Music Strat type 12 string kit build
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 04:22:26 pm »
Trial fit to make sure the important bits fit and line up ok before I start on the proper work, sacrificed the crappy strings supplied but managed to get it roughly set up at least to play at the nut end.  Tuners are rubbish and very rough but then I knew they would be, they strings were a bit of a challenge as they were all bundled together with no indication of what was what, I had to measure the gauge of each string and referencing them against a proprietary brand.

Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 04:28:14 pm »
Started properly today as I was waiting for some woodstain from Crimson Guitars, as you may be able to see from the pics I'm going for a sunburst finish Amber to Black, decided to keep it traditional in that respect.  Also did the fret leveling, crowning and polishing.

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 05:27:38 pm »
Very nice work so far! Keep us updated  8) (was actually thinking of getting a kit for myself but now decided to wait and see your final result haha).

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 09:57:49 am »
That looks promising indeed. I'm looking forward to updates.
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 04:38:23 pm »
More work done, first attempt at a sunburst finish.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 447
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 09:07:40 am »
I like that ... it's in the ball park of what some call vintage violin burst.

Nice work so far. :)

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 05:14:55 pm »
Calling it done for now, everything as supplied with the kit at the moment except for a Switchcraft jack socket as finances can't stretch to tuners, pick ups, switch and decent pots at the moment, however that was the reason I went for the strat over the telecaster, much easier to upgrade electrics.  Finishing materials used were Crimson Guitars Amber and Black woodstain and Tru-Oil and the strings are Rotosound R30SL double six.  I did pop both G strings  but had a spare normal G so at the moment it's an 11 string.  I need to replace the nut as it is really brittle, I managed to break a chunk off whilst filing out the G string slot (all slots needed to be filed down as the action was way too high at the nut.  I need to sort out a string tree as the supplied bar just pulled out as soon as the strings had some tension on them.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 447
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 06:03:13 pm »
Good stuff. Great deep colour to the body.

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 05:32:12 pm »
Good stuff. Great deep colour to the body.

Thanks, I think it would've come out a lot better on harder and less grainy wood.   I can confirm the pick ups are rubbish, neck, very muddy (as you'd expect on a 12 string) middle and bridge far too thin, especially on the high strings, adjusting the pick up heights doesn't seem to get rid of a nasty zing.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 08:13:42 pm »
Take a look at the Irongear Pig iron strat pickups, they are about £25 each and pretty good. You don't want anything with too high output on a 12 string, it just doesn't work.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 01:49:33 pm »
Hi, thanks I’ll give them a look.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App