Author Topic: About ear training  (Read 242 times)

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
About ear training
« on: November 08, 2019, 07:14:25 pm »
Do you guys had problems differentiate major and 7th chords as well? Share your experiences xD

Tough differentiate C and C7.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:33:25 pm by Fresher »
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
Re: About ear training
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 09:14:53 pm »
It can be tough, at first. Like anything, it gets easier with consistent practice.

I'm a bit surprised you're including º7 (diminished 7th) chords, if you just started. At first, I'd start with just major, minor, and dominant 7th chords (e.g., C, Cm, C7). Then I'd add in major seventh chords (e.g., CΔ7) and minor seventh chords (e.g., Cm7).

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 09:33:01 pm »
@J.W.C. No no, I meant 7th chords, lol.

It was hard to you?
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 02:51:48 am »
Ah, okay, that explains it.

My experience was mixed. I had been playing music for quite a while before I gave any attention to formal ear training, so my ear was already fairly attuned and I gained proficiency at identifying chords rapidly. That said, it did surprise me how often I got something wrong at first, especially when I tried identifying chords played in different inversions. I still get those wrong, sometimes.

For the dominant seventh chord, you need to listen for the mix of a major triad with the minor seventh. For example, in the key of C, the notes of the C7 chord are C (the root), E (the major third), G (the perfect fifth), and B♭ (the minor seventh). You might try going back and forth between just the C (C-E-G) and C7 (C-E-G-B♭) chords to help get the quality of the dominant 7th chord in your ear.

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 03:20:00 pm »
So today you can identify any chord?
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 10:44:06 pm »
No. I can usually identify the basic ones, but extended chords and inversions are difficult for me to identify. Key modulations can also throw me off. I'm working on it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App