Author Topic: Alternatives to Epiphone LP's  (Read 1665 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 447
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Alternatives to Epiphone LP's
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 07:05:05 am »
... that they're faster playing, tighter/clearer sounding, thinner (sportier?) ...
It's great that you come in with a personal recommendation.
Though I have to advise caustion on using descriptions such as 'faster playing'.
No guitar is faster than another - that is a snake-oil phrase used in iffy 2nd hand adverts on auction sites.
As are 'tighter / clearer'.
Thinner - I don't know the dimensions of the neck - the LTD you refer to may have a slim neck - but that is not an absolute good quality as some people do not like slim necks. It is not a reason to say one is better than another.
Still - it is another recommend for the OP to consider.

Offline 8livesleft

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 07:36:14 am »
It's great that you come in with a personal recommendation.
Though I have to advise caustion on using descriptions such as 'faster playing'.
No guitar is faster than another - that is a snake-oil phrase used in iffy 2nd hand adverts on auction sites.
As are 'tighter / clearer'.
Thinner - I don't know the dimensions of the neck - the LTD you refer to may have a slim neck - but that is not an absolute good quality as some people do not like slim necks. It is not a reason to say one is better than another.
Still - it is another recommend for the OP to consider.

Oh sorry for my phrasing.

I generally refer to guitars with thinner necks, flatter profile and jumbo frets as "faster playing" than say, something like a 52 tele reissue with "vintage" frets, rounder profile and fat neck (which I also have and love, btw).

But of course many can play just fine on those settings but I'm personally less comfortable playing "faster" phrases on them.

With regards to "tighter/clearer," well, that's got to do more with sound. My LTD has EMGs, and compared to my Gibson LP standard, it definitely sounds clearer (or brighter, maybe?).

As for "tight," this refers to the sound I get with heavy distortion. I don't know how else to describe it, other than "tight."

Just stating an opinion, of course.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:00:47 am by 8livesleft »

Offline flyingdutchman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 09:37:04 pm »
I just got an LTD EC-2015, which is a limited version of the EC-1000, which you can get at your budget. Cheaper if you go 2nd hand.

What differentiates them from Epi/Gibson/Tokai, is that they're faster playing, tighter/clearer sounding, thinner (sportier?).

Still basically the same DNA so if you want a more traditional sound, you basically just need to dial tone back a tiny bit.

But I actually prefer the Esp/LTD sound nowadays. Easier to dial back treble if you have it. Lots of traditional Les Paul's are too wooly sounding for my taste.

I think it is a bit more than my budget and you can call me sceptic but when it comes to electronics and devices that are used everyday, I have doubts over second hand...But still thank you for the recommendations.
now I've got to look for
Sanctuary from the law

Offline 8livesleft

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 11:02:58 pm »
I think it is a bit more than my budget and you can call me sceptic but when it comes to electronics and devices that are used everyday, I have doubts over second hand...But still thank you for the recommendations.
I agree with you when it comes to phones, computers, speakers, amps. I generally prefer new.

But for guitars, it's the opposite for me. But I need to test them first. I never buy unseen, new or used.

At first, I always bought new but then, I noticed that I'd needed to fix them still. Granted, I was a beginner and didn't know what to look for.

I also noticed that there are some 2nd hand sellers who know guitars and can set them up perfectly - better than a store or factory. And it's these guys who I buy from nowadays.

It also helps to know how to fix and setup your own gear.

Offline flyingdutchman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 04:23:37 pm »
Ok, today I played Ibanez AR420 and I decided which way I will go. If nothing happens in between I am eager to buy Tokai ALS58QZ Love Rock Lemon Drop Electric Guitar....The shop is the closest among the shops I visited, they are in calmer neighbourhood in industry terrein and I found Tokai totally different from Ibanez S521, thus a little attraction and new challenge for me.

now I've got to look for
Sanctuary from the law

Offline 8livesleft

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 12:27:34 am »

Ok, today I played Ibanez AR420 and I decided which way I will go. If nothing happens in between I am eager to buy Tokai ALS58QZ Love Rock Lemon Drop Electric Guitar....The shop is the closest among the shops I visited, they are in calmer neighbourhood in industry terrein and I found Tokai totally different from Ibanez S521, thus a little attraction and new challenge for me.

Tokai is great and I prefer their headstock to Epi's.

I hear tho that Epiphone might change the headstock design and go higher end - kinda like what ESP does with LTD.

I hope they do. I never got why they'd nerf the epiphone like this. I mean they even call the headstock design as "clipped ear."

Offline nfotis

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2019, 06:41:00 pm »
I started my dabbling in electric guitars with a used Epiphone LP Plus Top (cherry burst), at 200 EUR.
Nice guitar, then it developed a fret scratch/dip and I didn't want to pay someone for repair it, as the repair costs could be quite high compared to the guitar price, so I sold it.

Then I got a PRS SE 245 - nice guitar, but felt rather heavy (the body is deeper than an LP), and with its own sound when played clean. Later, I found a Gibson LP Tribute worn brown, which was offered at a cheaper price than the PRS (both were bought brand new).
I prefer the Gibson, because the Ultra Modern Weight relief had made her lighter and easier to handle than the PRS, and it's nearer to the typical LP sound, with modern Gibson humbuckers.
The neck of the PRS is quite nice ("wide fat" ), but the LP Tribute is fine, too (not too slim, like an Epiphone LP Ultra III I tried).

Hope this helps,
N.F.

Offline flyingdutchman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 04:14:02 pm »
On Friday, I am getting Tokai ALS58QZ :))
now I've got to look for
Sanctuary from the law

Offline 8livesleft

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 12:55:53 am »
On Friday, I am getting Tokai ALS58QZ :))
Great choice! Have only heard good things about Tokai.

Offline Ahamm001

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 05:56:57 pm »
I own an ESP LTD EC 1000 MGO with Duncan pickups....it's my first electric, bought it several years ago with the intent on learning and never did.......now I am.  I'm 39 and getting up there for a beginner but love it.  My husband plays a Gibson LP and has since he was younger but he likes my EC 1000 even and it's not as heavy as the Gibson.

Offline 8livesleft

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2019, 01:04:11 am »
I own an ESP LTD EC 1000 MGO with Duncan pickups....it's my first electric, bought it several years ago with the intent on learning and never did.......now I am.  I'm 39 and getting up there for a beginner but love it.  My husband plays a Gibson LP and has since he was younger but he likes my EC 1000 even and it's not as heavy as the Gibson.
Never too late to learn anything, they say.

My LTD is based off the EC-1000 but has emg metalworks pickups.

I'm curious, how does your guitar sound with those duncans (I'm assuming JB, Jazz or 59 combo?) compared to your husband's Gibson?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App