Author Topic: Alternatives to Epiphone LP's  (Read 8801 times)

Offline 8livesleft

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Alternatives to Epiphone LP's
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2019, 01:04:11 am »
I own an ESP LTD EC 1000 MGO with Duncan pickups....it's my first electric, bought it several years ago with the intent on learning and never did.......now I am.  I'm 39 and getting up there for a beginner but love it.  My husband plays a Gibson LP and has since he was younger but he likes my EC 1000 even and it's not as heavy as the Gibson.
Never too late to learn anything, they say.

My LTD is based off the EC-1000 but has emg metalworks pickups.

I'm curious, how does your guitar sound with those duncans (I'm assuming JB, Jazz or 59 combo?) compared to your husband's Gibson?

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Offline Blue Merseysider.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • "YER MA'!"
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2020, 11:08:37 am »
You say you're a "Rock/Metal Guy." With a budget like that, you could get yourself a stunning PRS that will not only cover your sound but will be really well made and great looking into the bargain.

Sent from my SM-A920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Takamine EF300W LTD Edition Acoustic.
Epiphone EJ200 CE/VS Acoustic.
1989 Epiphone SQ180 Don Everly Acoustic.
1980 Kiso Suzuki 12 String Acoustic.
"Yep, I like me acoustic guitars."

Offline 8livesleft

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2020, 03:31:46 am »
You say you're a "Rock/Metal Guy." With a budget like that, you could get yourself a stunning PRS that will not only cover your sound but will be really well made and great looking into the bargain.

Sent from my SM-A920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
+1

PRS SE singlecuts are fantastic value for money and should give you more a broader tone range than a regular LP. They're also lighter.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Offline flyingdutchman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2020, 12:57:44 pm »
Update after 3 months...I am quite happy with my selection and now using it more than my first guitar Ibanez S521 , especially hearing about the tune problems of Gibsons lately....However my next guitar will be from an upper class...I think about a ST cut guitar/Fender style...
now I've got to look for
Sanctuary from the law

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2020, 07:51:55 pm »
Just picked up a Tokai ALC60BB LP Custom.
Was a choice between an ESP/LTD 256 and this one.
Had a good deal / discount on the Tokai, bringing it down into my budget and more attractive that the ESP/LTD in that same price range.

It is quite a heavy beast but I love it so far. Feels very solid and well put together.

Due to the actual situation here, could not go to the store to play any of them before buying, but really happy with it. Close friend of mine who has guitars of both brands, did help with the final decision, discussing the differences.

Will try some ESP/LTD in the local shop as soon as things normalize, just to get a feel for the next possible purchase.

Offline Elephantstone76

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 10:43:38 pm »
Wait and try them when the store opens again,  I was sure I wanted a Fender Jaguar then I tried it and hated it just didn't feel right at all and didn't dig it at all.  Tried a few out and loved the strat player series just felt right.  Try as many as you can it will feel right

Sent from my SM-G977B using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline flyingdutchman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2020, 10:11:27 pm »
Surprise to see my topic on first page still... :)
I checked 2nd hand market regularly and I came across a Schecter Nick Johnston Traditional Diamond Series (SSS) and I may have a chance to get it for 350 (as new 2nd hand)...what are your thoughts.

As you can see from the topic I still have Ibanez S521 and added a Tokai Love Rock series to that...

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:54:04 am by flyingdutchman »
now I've got to look for
Sanctuary from the law

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2020, 01:41:07 am »
Surprise to see my topic on first page still... :)
I checked 2nd hand market regularly and I came across a Schecter Traditional Diamond Series (SSS) and I may have a chance to get it for 350 (as new 2nd hand...what are your thoughts.

As you can see from the topic I stıll have Ibanez S521 and added a Tokai Love Rock series to that...

Schecter's are metal machines but I've never seen a Schecter in a Strat style before. Looks nice. And I saw you mentioned a Tokai Love Rock. I've seen that from Shane on the InTheBlues youtube channel. Great guitars!
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Fender Blues Junior IV, Fender Mustang I amp

Get The Forum As A Mobile App