Author Topic: Advice on electric guitar with 'neck dive'  (Read 316 times)

Offline brandolee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Advice on electric guitar with 'neck dive'
« on: December 30, 2020, 05:13:44 pm »
Hello,
I just bought my first electric guitar.  It is an Ibanez but it looks like a Gibson SG which seems to have the same problem that I'm experiencing.  When I stand up with the strap, the neck turns ('dives') toward the ground.  I've read about some 'fixes' but wondering if I need to hold it differently.  Maybe I need to hold it to my side with my pick arm?  Wondering if I should return it for something more balanced or learn to wrangle it.  I'd prefer not to make modification to the guitar.  I might get a suede strap.
Breedlove Discovery Concert Acoustic in Mahogany
Ibanez AX120 Electric

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Advice on electric guitar with 'neck dive'
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 06:46:12 pm »
Potential fixes include ...

a wide, suede strap ...

fastening some 'ballast' around the strap pin at the end of the body to counter the neck's weight ..

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 07:03:31 pm »
I used to have an SG copy that was just like that, in the end I fixed the one end of the strap around the headstock just back from the nut, you need a decent length strap but for me it was the best solution. I think it’s to do with it being a 24 fret neck and a short(ish) body, only thing to do is give it a try!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 09:15:47 pm »
I don't know how much ballast you would need, would one of those older wireless systems be enough, the ones that you strap the transmitter to your belt, but instead of attaching it to your belt attach it to the strap.

Sent from my RMX2144 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App