Author Topic: 2019 Cover #39 (Let It Be)  (Read 303 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #39 (Let It Be)
« on: November 06, 2019, 03:04:22 pm »
A more well known song this week. Used a capo this week also to make the vocals more managable for my range. 75 % of the cover project finished now.

https://youtu.be/2gG8RBeO6k4

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Online hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: 2019 Cover #39 (Let It Be)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 04:12:36 pm »
Johan, this is perhaps my all-time favourite Beatles song. Personally, I thought this was one of your best vocal performances. Good idea to have the capo on. Very good, steady strumming on this. Yup, I think this a strong contender to be my favourite cover during your project. Well done! Good vibes my friend!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 11:44:18 am »
Wonderfull! Great job. That strumming of yours is something i have to learn yet. That light delicate touching of the strings is awesome.
Most of the time i strum like i'm trying to break the strings... You've shown something i need to work on. I thank you for a great song and performance!
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 239
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 02:05:37 pm »
Excellent cover, Johan.

Man, I really got to apply myself to strumming to be able to strum like you do, more from the wrist than from the elbow.  Looks like it helps you to be accurate on which strings your are strumming, either focus on the higher strings 1-4 or more on the lower strings 6 & 5.

Rhythm was again so steady, consistent and smooth, clean changes.  Playing is so good.  And I enjoyed your singing, relaxed.

Well done on hitting 75% mark.

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 04:44:21 am »
This is really good Loefgren. I think this is one the best performances I have seen from you - the guitar sounds great and I think there is a marked improvement in your singing voice - a really nice melodic sound to it.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 02:06:46 pm »
Very good performance, Johan. Like others have said, great chord changes & strumming. You sang well too!

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 03:40:36 pm »
Nice all round performance for me.
Not my favourite Beatles song by a long chalk but It's a nice tune and I have heard the lyrics were very personal to Paul thinking about his mother.
A nice steady pulse to your rhythm.
What plectrums do you use if you don't mind me asking.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 11:10:38 pm »
The greatest change I see in this video Johan is the leap you've taken with your right hand and arm. All the tension that used to be there is gone. I know you struggled with finding the right pick and learning to hold it. I see and hear a relaxed, precise, sensitive contact with the strings. This adds to your dynamics. What a wonderful achievement. Well done!

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 08:34:29 am »
Hey Johan well done :) Steady as ever, cover #40 in sight  8)

Little note: Interesting changes on the phrasing, they somehow made me think of Dylan :)

As always: Looking forward to your next video, Johan :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

// YT-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5ZGjZ-aZgUNiCU-dznxAg

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:41:51 am »
Thanks David T, Lord_gigabyte, David P, kontenda, Pam, willsie, Maggie and Max! Glad you liked it, need to play more Beatles songs for sure.

You seem to like the strumming. I struggled badly with it for a long time. Its the single thing on guitar I have worked the most with. I never practice scales, I am a strummer. I practice strumming everytime I play the guitar. I usually just sit down and strum chords in different keys trying to make it sound good.  Glad it pays off. I think the key is to be relaxed and to play with just the tip of the pick. Don't dig to deep into the strings. Very difficult though. I am still not 100 % satisfied with it, I am working on changing the grip a bit, showing less pick than before. Makes it easier to hold on to the pick and control it, but requires a more controlled strumming motion. But  its starting to sound ok  :)
David P: Yes I am using almost solely wrist motion for strumming. For me its not doable to strum with the arm. I miss the strings completely or hit the strings so hard the guitar falls out of my lap when I try do do that  :(

Willsie: I am using a 0.73 USA Jim Dunlop Nylon in almost all the videos.

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:30:04 am »
I think the key is to be relaxed and to play with just the tip of the pick. Don't dig to deep into the strings. Very difficult though.

And that's exactly my problem now. I tend to dig for oil, when strumming. I'm working on it now. Keeping a relaxed arm, and paying attention to the pick and how deep it buries itself in the strings.
And indeed, it's difficult, but i'll manage. .
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Get The Forum As A Mobile App