Author Topic: Dynamics in Stage 4  (Read 677 times)

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Dynamics in Stage 4
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 10:30:16 pm »
That's good!
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 09:43:28 am »
My modus operandis on every stage is going through all lessons of a stage (watch the videos, read all the information), have a little go at the lessons (that takes 3 days ... )

Fresher.
You are going to need to change your modus operandi.
And now that you have explained your method of learning a stage I think I can see why you have these sudden bursts of needing to ask so many questions all at once.

Here is how I think you should be learning and progressing.

So, you reached the end of Stage 1.
You have a Stage 1 practice schedule.
What you would then do is add in only lesson 1 from Stage 2 (the A minor chord) and add it to your existing Stage 1 practice schedule.
When you have that new chord learned to a decent standard, look at lesson 2 (the E minor chord) and add it to your existing practice schedule (the expanded one that now includes A minor).
When you have that new chord learned to a decent standard, look at lesson 2 (the D minor chord) and add it to your existing practice schedule (the expanded one that now includes A minor and E minor also).
Your practice schedule will obviously become longer.
That is fine and you should be able to play for a little longer with your toughened fingers.
But, if you want to reduce the time, you can move some of the very first things that you learned off the other end.
And you learn one lesson at a time, adding it to your existing practice schedule.
Until you reach the end of Stage 2 one lesson at a time and you then fully adopt the full Stage 2 practice schedule.

So, for where you are now - leaving Stage 3 and starting Stage 4.

Firstly, Stage 3 is the end of the first 'group' of three Stages called the White module.
So you should think of consolidating all of the learning from all of Stages 1-3 until you have it learned pretty well.

Then on to Stage 4.

Remember, you are running the Stage 3 practice schedule at this time.

Then, learn from Stage 4 lesson 1, G7, C7, B7 chords.
Add this in to your existing Stage 3 practice schedule.
Add in this learning only - until you are confident and able to strum/pick/strum these new chords.

Only then should you begin to learn from Stage 4 lesson 2, the Fmaj7 chord.
Add in this learning only - until you are confident and able to strum/pick/strum this new chord.

Only then should you begin to learn from Stage 4 lesson 3, the A chord again.
Add in this learning only - until you are confident and able to strum/pick/strum this new chord.

Only then should you begin to learn from Stage 4 lesson 4, the 1-minute changes which is designed to be applied to the new chords learned in Stage 4.

Etc etc etc

In other words ...

Do not dispose of a practice schedule from a previous stage all at once just because you have moved on.
Do not get rid of your Stage 3 practice schedule and replace it with a Stage 4 practice schedule just because you have watched all the videos of Stage 4.
That is not how to build your learning in small, slow steps.

Your learning is cumulative.
You need to expand it only one-lesson at a time and add in to your practice schedule only one new lesson at a time, keeping all the previous learning on your practice schedule, as described above.

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 01:20:51 pm »
Seems complicated, I don't really understand. If I add something, that's more time of practice, and that's not good, one of the reasons I stoped playing before was because I was practicing too much and I burned out.
Stage 4 in progress...

Online hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 01:40:56 pm »
Look again at the first big paragraph close2u wrote:

"Your practice schedule will obviously become longer.
That is fine and you should be able to play for a little longer with your toughened fingers.
But, if you want to reduce the time, you can move some of the very first things that you learned off the other end."
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 01:43:52 pm »
Thanks hilts :)

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 01:46:05 pm »
"you can move some of the very first things that you learned off the other end."

What that means? sorry, my english is not perfect :-X
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 01:49:19 pm »
Here is how I think you should be learning and progressing.

You should be running the Stage 3 practice schedule and be consolidating all of the White module Stages 1-3. You should be learning songs, learning songs, learning songs.

Then, learn from Stage 4 lesson 1
G7, C7, B7 chords.
Add in this learning only - until you are confident and able to strum/pick/strum these new chords.

Only then should you begin to learn from Stage 4 lesson 2
Fmaj7 chord.

Only then should you begin to learn from Stage 4 lesson 3
The A chord again.

Only then should you begin to learn from Stage 4 lesson 4
1-minute changes which is designed to be applied to the new chords learned in Stage 4.
Remove some 1-minute changes from your existing practice schedule if / when you have reached a reasonable speed.

Etc etc etc

"you can move some of the very first things that you learned off the other end."

What that means?

As you add in one new thing, so you can remove one old thing.

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 02:03:35 pm »
Oh thanks. I honestly think that my way of practicing is ok, I see that I'm progressing, things getting easier and new stuff getting hard at first and then getting easier. If I do a major change that you are proposing it's gonna be a big mess and confuse me. Do you think it's worth it?
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline OpsRes

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 03:02:03 pm »
Oh thanks. I honestly think that my way of practicing is ok, I see that I'm progressing, things getting easier and new stuff getting hard at first and then getting easier. If I do a major change that you are proposing it's gonna be a big mess and confuse me. Do you think it's worth it?

Just my opinion but close2u is absolutely correct. As to "is it worth it" , I would have to say a loud yes but only if you want to play guitar and not just "get through exercises.

Glen

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 03:46:00 pm »
@OpsRes

"but only if you want to play guitar and not just "get through exercises."

That's a pretty good reverse psychology. It's good but not enough, I'm learning guitar pretty well the way I'm doing it, this may sound harsh but only if Justin says that what I'm doing is wrong than I accept (because he is the teacher), and if that happens I hope it's gonna be more clearly than what close2u described. The way close2u is saying, there's no stage 1, 2, 3 etc, it's just a massive blend (stage 1+2, 2 +3...), there's no focus on a stage. When I'm doing a stage, I focus on the stage, I move foward, consolidating what I've learned on the previous one.

Buy hey, I'm just a noob.
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 04:08:22 pm »
Mate, close2u wrote you what Justin is saying.

Let's put it in one extreme example:
- you learn A, D and E chords
- you practice A, D and E chords
- you master A, D and E chords that you can play stage 1 songs at full speed

You move to stage 2:
- you learn Amin, Emin and Dmin chords
- you practice only Amin, Emin and Dmin chords
- you master Amin, Emin and Dmin chords and you can play "A Girl Like You" at full speed (a song example that only requires to play minor chords)

You want to try to play I'd Rather Go Blind (which only has two chords - one major and one minor) but you realise that you haven't practiced the major chords at all and that you forgot how to play them.

I know that this is an extreme example but hopefully it explains what close2u wrote you.

Or if you want even worse comparison:
- first you learn how to walk
- then you run (but still use everything you learnt when you started walking)

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 04:17:57 pm »
I'm already doing that. So I guess there's some misunderstand here.
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2019, 04:37:27 pm »
Sorry, then I misunderstood your explanation.

It's just that this gave me a wrong idea:
going through all lessons of a stage (watch the videos, read all the information), have a little go at the lessons...and then for about 25 days it's only the practice schedule

that you watch all the lessons in one big piece (okay, not like 72 hours of watching videos in a row) and try to play the new things here and there. And then practice all the new things for the rest of the month. It just sounded like an information overload for me but I probably misunderstood you here.

But if it works for you the way you practice and if you're improving and having fun, go for it  :)! However, if something does not work for you in your practice style, the usual go-to is Justin's method and then anything else. This is what the others were trying to tell you.

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2019, 04:55:53 pm »
that you watch all the lessons in one big piece (okay, not like 72 hours of watching videos in a row) and try to play the new things here and there. And then practice all the new things for the rest of the month. It just sounded like an information overload for me but I probably misunderstood you here.

But that's is right, I learn the shape of the new chords, learn what I need to do, I get all the info, videos and the things that Justin writes on every lesson, I make sure I understand, I give a try on my guitar and then I stick to the practice schedule.

Here the recent example:

I decided to move to the Stage 4 (I know all the chords of the Stage 3 (G, C); my OMC is solid, 80+ changes at the G-C, which is the worse for me; I practiced the rhythm, and I felt like it was time to move forward).

So, if I remember correctly, when I started the Stage 4, in one day I got the first 4 lessons (meaning I read and watched the videos) and started the OMC (there's nothing to do besides get the information, it just show the shapes and how to do, there's no training one chord each lesson wtf, the training is in the schedule, what's the point of practicing every lesson since I'll have to practice again in the schedule? that's what schedules are for, aren't they? There's no time limit, if I fell like I still need to practice before move on I practice, there's no 1 month limit, it's just that this is what has been happening each stage, around 1 month I feel confortable to move on, but there's no limit. Am I missing something?). I write important info in my book. In the other day (I don't do all in one day of course, that's too much) I got the lesson 5, 6 and 10 (schedule). Once again, write down. And then the other day I got the dynamics. Write down. We dont talk about ear training xD. And since then, I practice and practice. By the end of the month, I got solid numbers on OMC, got the rhythm down (at least I guess, there's no one here to judge me), and if I can play songs with few errors I move forward. There's no secret.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:03:31 pm by Fresher »
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline OpsRes

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 09:38:02 pm »
Fresher,
No psychology.

If your method is perfect for you then by all means carry on. Close2u is trying to help you but you don’t seem to need or want it. That’s ok but don’t argue just say thanks but no thanks.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App