Author Topic: Gave the old girl a new lease of life  (Read 192 times)

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 4
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
Gave the old girl a new lease of life
« on: November 03, 2019, 02:19:13 pm »
My old acoustic has been lying around unloved for a few years now because it was pretty unplayable. So I decided to order a new bone nut, bridge and some new strings and try and get the action a bit better, managed by removing the pick up (which I never use) from under the bridge and a lot of truss rod adjustment, to get just over 2mm on low E and just on 2mm on high E at 12th fret so within specs and now a lot easier to play.  I also bought some new pins however they were a bit of a loose fit hence the mashed up old ones shown.

Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 239
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Gave the old girl a new lease of life
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 02:44:50 pm »
Good for you, agj, full of admiration for your skills displayed across all your projects.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 04:37:33 pm »
Great stuff! We don't get enough repair and mod activity here. Not much fret wear on the fret that's showing, that's a good sign. Looks like a gouge in the fretboard right there though. Consider installing Power Pins 2.0, I found them to be a great upgrade from the standard pin configuration on my acoustic.
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=42474.msg372873#msg372873

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 4
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 05:34:28 pm »
@DavidP thanks for the kind words but I don't consider my self to have any particular skills other than 40 years of building radio controlled model aircraft.  There are lots of videos on youtube showing how to do set ups and mods, it's not really rocket science, most tools can be bought pretty cheap from Amazon though I did invest well over £100 on a set of Hosco nut files which so far I've used on 5 guitars (if you include my current build)

@CT  That gouge is fretboard wear, as for the frets, I did a bit of leveling and re dressing as there were some high frets, this guitar is a cheap made in China Fender which is 14 years old, all I can say is god knows how I managed to play the thing back then.
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 06:28:59 pm »
Nice share and I'm glad you've managed to revive and give life to an old, neglected finger-killer.
:)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App