Author Topic: Third Open Mic (20190926)  (Read 3985 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Third Open Mic (20190926)
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:58:17 am »
Hi there,

Finally got hold of the videos from my third Open Mic, which happened more than a month ago.  Good thing is having some videos, but not as helpful in terms of eaither learning from observing or telling you all the story, since more than a month tends to lend a certain fuzziness to downright forgetfulness to my recollection.

In a nutshell, I could say it was much like the second, just not as stressful and didn't feel as tight.  I took a long a travel mug which contained hot water, lemon and a little honey.  It was boiling water when I made it and warm by the time I was playing.  I think good not to be drinking ice cold water before and while singing.

Best thing in this performance was one of the club leaders, who plays bass and sound engineers, came to me afterwards and complimented me on my rendition of HOTRS. 

That was interesting since it was a real "duck swimming on a pond" moment.  For some reason I never felt comfortable and in the groove throughout.  And I'd thought it must've sounded a complete shambles. And now I have listened back I can sincerely say, it doesn't sound like a complete shambles.  So goes to show, our inner ear and sense, is often overly critical/judgemental.

And of course, Eddie was complimenting with the harmonica on the side, which to my ears sounds great.  Even given the limits of the audio mixing options, seemed to fit right in.  That's a compliment to Eddie's ability to play with somebody.

You may also hear some other bass and guitar at moments.  There was a gent playing bass along with the performers.  Before somebody gets uppity, he asked before.  I said he was welcome to but however good he was he might struggle to stay in "David time and intrepretation"  :o  Same for some of the singing along ... I invited people to join in if they could follow me. 

There was actually a lot of banter that evening.  Maybe I am over telling here ... skip ahead if still awake and desperately wanting ... desperately HA HA ... to get to the videos. Right up front there was some audience comment about tuning.  We bantered about chords ... somebody called wrong and I strummed the chord, asking if it sounded in tune.  Same complimentary guy chirped that he wanted to hear an E flat major.  Luckily I was playing an E as an A shape barre chord in the first song, so could almost immediately strum it with a cheeky "how's that" ... he seemed (to my inner happiness) surprised to hear it.

To keep learning for this video I have put the three seperate videos together.  I pulled each one into my DAW, did a little "polishing" and tried to render each out so you cna listen through at the same volume and "enjoy" the dynamics.

LBro ... firstly humble apologies for choosing the first song that I did, breathe deep and don't run off for your shotgun.  More importantly, I followed your suggestions on how I might be able to use XN Noise to filter the hiss out and think it worked out OK ... hopefully not to the detriment of hearing the songs.

Right, I think that is about it. 

Hope you enjoy the video and as always love to hear comments, both the encouragement and the critique.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
Re: Third Open Mic (20190926)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:19:03 pm »
That's what music's about, stripped back and sharing a piece of your soul. This is wonderful David. I especially liked your playing on Hurt. And I don't know what the story is on LBro and the shotgun, but I enjoyed that one enough to realize I should learn the song!

Good vibes to you, and good vibes to Eddie and Lionel too.

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 02:54:29 pm »
That's what music's about, stripped back and sharing a piece of your soul. This is wonderful David. I especially liked your playing on Hurt. And I don't know what the story is on LBro and the shotgun, but I enjoyed that one enough to realize I should learn the song!

Good vibes to you, and good vibes to Eddie and Lionel too.

Mari

Thanks so much, Mari, really do appreciate all the encouragement.

LBro doesn't enjoy the song about the Three Little Birds and we have some good banter about it.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 05:54:55 pm »
I've just had a skim read as it were ... a quick listen to several bits.
My main thing to say is more bravo and well done.
You are blazing your own trail David.

One quicky ... 3 Little Birds.

Reggae - Off beat - play on the &
You're playing on the count and it throws your vocal phrasing off.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 07:11:17 pm »
I've just had a skim read as it were ... a quick listen to several bits.
My main thing to say is more bravo and well done.
You are blazing your own trail David.

One quicky ... 3 Little Birds.

Reggae - Off beat - play on the &
You're playing on the count and it throws your vocal phrasing off.

Thanks Richard, for the encouragement and pointer. Real struggle to stay on that off beat, even when making the first down strum a muted strum ... more practice required.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 07:53:59 pm »
Invert your strumming pattern so 1, 2, 3, 4 are up and &, &, &, & are down.

I just did a quick search for you and found this short tutorial - seems a good intro / summary of some basics.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 07:55:29 pm »
Excellent, David. Really well done. My favorite was hsors. Your finger picking is confident and sounding great. I didn't notice any flubs.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 11:02:57 pm »
Great stuff David the renditions of hurt and hotrs were excellent. Just on that reggae thing search for Justin's video on I shot the sheriff  it's on triads but he's shows that if you use sixteen note strumming you end up playing on the offbeat. I think that's how it went anyway not watched it for a while but I played that for ages after I did. I found it really helpful.

Hope the recent one went well.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 02:09:18 am »
Clever you with the quick Eb reply David. Your experience as a Toastmaster shows and of course being able to engage your audience from the get go is a valuable skill. You look sooooo much more at ease and you're presenting well with your jaunty hat, looking at the audience as you sing and play to them.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 04:03:26 pm »
Maggie, Gareth, Lynn, Richard .... Thanks vey much for the wonderful,  encouraging comments. 

Maggie, no doubt all the Toastmasters plus delivery of training helps. What is interesting is how I bevome aware of small things each time. For example,  I notice that while I appear to be looking at the audience,  I'm not making eye contact or focussing on the people.

Lynn, if you missed the flubs all the better and I'll not point them out  ;D

Richard/Gareth, thanks for more pointers on the reggae riddim playing. I think getting the singing and playing right is tricky. And my vocal may be dragging me out. Or maybe I miss a 1/8 note somewhere. Need to slow it down. Did like the lesson with using a 1/16 note pattern, not that I Shot the Sheriff is a song I like. But maybe worth trying it.

Guess to be honest, I'm not real into reggae. If I listen to Bob Marley Legend ... I know a compilation  :o ... I'd usually skip that song and Buffalo Soldier. Would let Three Little Birds play but am more into Exodus, Jamming, Could You Be Loved, Redemption Song and No Woman, No Cry. Apologies to the great lovers of Bob and other reggae legends   :-[

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 04:44:39 pm »
I watched and listened through the whole video David. You’ve really grown as a live performer. I loved the tone of your guitar and your confidence playing it. Your voice and the accompanying sound did it justice on hurt and the house of the rising sun. Although the timing was off on three little birds, it wasn’t all that bad either. Good to see the audience supporting you throughout. Good show! 😊

Also, going a little off topic, personally I had a reggae phase and “jammin’” and “could you be loved” are my personal favorites from Bob Marley (and the wailers). Redemption song isn’t reggae so I will include that in another list. I have a bunch of other favorites too. Mostly from the soundtrack of “Fire in Babylon”, a tribute documentary to the invincible West Indies cricket team of the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Lovely stuff if you’re into that. 😊

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 04:53:36 pm »
Thanks Bala, appreciate the encouraging comments.  I'm so fortunate to have found this opportunity to perform with such a supportive and encouraging audience and people who organise the shows.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 09:16:47 am »
Just had a listen and I thought your standout performance was Hurt where your vocal really fits well with the song. That said HOTRS was also very good and clearly chimed with your audience as they were joining in from the start. Bravo and well done.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 09:23:03 am »
Thanks so much, Rossco, I really appreciate you watching and the encouraging comments.

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 10:01:28 am »
I second Rossco! Hurt was my pick of the bunch, not because the performance was better than HoTRS it's just I prefer the song. Regardless, I enjoyed all three songs and thought your performance throughout was bang on. I was entertained and isn't that what the whole point of performing for an audience is all about?!

Maybe me being highly subjective here but I thought the weakest of the three was 3 Little Birds. I enjoyed listening to it but thought it didn't quite have the polish of the other two songs.

I'm enjoying following the journey in this new chapter of open night performances and look forward to the next one.

On a side note must be difficult being an Englishman in SA right now after last weekend's rugby final! ;D
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 10:29:49 am »
David, first of all congrats on your third open mic! Audience had fun and supported you all the way through, so this means a performance was great.

Secondly, I admire your fingerpicking + singing, that's one of the things I am still learning. Just reached the point when I can do some folk fingerstyle and have conversation at the same time. But to sing and fingerstyle, impossible for me.

However, my only thing for improvment is - let yourself enjoy the songs a bit more. I know it's quite stressful and scary to perform for others. Especially as a solo act where all the focus is on you. But try to enjoy the moment a bit more and you'll add your own touch to the songs.

Your performance was getting better and better with time (it's always the first few minutes that's the hardest). I don't know if it makes sense but do try to feel it a bit more. (please do take into account I come from hard rock, thrash metal and jazz background where most of the things are interactions between band members so I might not have the right perception on how acoustic things should be).

But overall, I enjoyed the recording! Keep having fun with the guitar and performing with and for other people :)!

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 02:04:52 pm »
First of all: well done you! :)
You’re going to leave us all behind in the dust.
Not because you’re progressing faster than others- I share your ‘It’s-not-a-race-or-competition’ philosophy-
But your persistence is admirable, both on the forum and in pushing yourself to the next level even if on the edges of your comfort zone.

Critique:
I actually like the birdies, partially because it was one of the first songs I learnt (like many here).
Nice vocals, impressive that you chose to play barre chords rather than open (envy). I missed the syncopated reggae beat.

Hurt; I love this song and you played it well with lovely picking/strumming variation and dynamics.
Vocals were in tune, but I am too used to the Cash phrasing. The second round of each C D Am (to see if I still feel etc) you speed the words up, and there was something odd on ‘but I remember everything’.

THOTRS was my favourite here. Some say overplayed, but I like the song (it is still on my to do list). Nice fingerstyle, pleasant expressive vocals and was complemented by the lovely harmonica.

I hope that doesn’t sound picky.
I’m genuinely impressed, but you might as well have the two cents of an honest punter.
Keep on rockin’  8)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 07:47:58 am »
Pilgrim/Glp/Brian, thanks for the listening, the encouragement and comments.

Pilgrim ... no doubt, I have not yet copped that reggae vibe.  Did try some I Shot The Sheriff as suggested by Gareth.  Much work needed to take my attempts up a gear. 

As for being an Englishman in South Africa ... perhaps equally difficult being a South African in London (apologies, Sting).  Perhaps more difficult being one of those English pundits who were perhaps over confident prior to the game.  I hoped we'd win and felt it was really a 50-50 match, dependent on small margins.  So was surprised by final margin.  Boks all played to their highest levels on the day and the front-row injury didn't help England's cause.  But as Martin Johnson said ... Boks are a different Beast to the All Blacks, so a different challenge and these days the standard is consistently higher across the board.  Enough rugby.

Glp ... your comments are spot on and inspirational.  I played my 4th, no footage yet, and felt better though oervall maybe didn't play as well.  Tough part at this stage is the fact that I play live once a month, three songs.  The opposite to say The Beatles playing live every night in Hamburg for hours and hours.  But I feel good and positive, will continue and not judge myself harshly, nor think I am better than where I am ... just happy to enjoy the adventure, keep learning and who knows how things will develop over the coming months and years

Brian ... Birdies, nuff said.  I am fortunate that for some weird and wonderful reason, I learned the E and A shape barres before my discovery of Justin ... in those years that left me believing I lacked the talent to play. 

My phrasing on Hurt is pretty much how I can manage it and keep playing as close to being in time and clean as I can. The line you singled out was one of the flubs.  I was messing up my pronouns on those lines, starting an I when it was meant to be a you and trying to recover, well spotted.

Not too picky at all.  I like the honest two cents.  After all can never improve if deluded into to believing all is good when it is not.  And maybe my strength here is not too be too worried if I make mistakes, am not as good as the rest of the performers ... after all that is the point of Open Mic, as I (and they at TJs) see it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App