Author Topic: Second open mic  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Second open mic
« on: October 20, 2019, 07:43:44 am »
Hey folks.

I did my second open mic yesterday. Was kind of debating if I should go without any originals but went there with some covers anyways. Was the fourth in line after 3 amazing performances (the second performer was a show stealer).

As for me, I did a cover of Yesterday (The Beatles), Babe I'm gonna leave you (Led Zeppelin) and Love of my life (Queen). Very challenging songs for vocals. Had about a week's worth of practice. The practice one takes were good. So I was confident going in. However, my guitar playing was all over the place at the real deal. Thought the vocals were not shabby. Had mixed feelings at the end of it but listening back, they were all avoidable mistakes. More practice and confidence is the goal now. But would like to hear from you all.

Open mic video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oyW3e611HQ
Open mic practice audio: https://soundcloud.com/balamuthiah/open-mic-practice

P.S: They had two mics the last time but only had one this time. So the guitar and vocal balance was terrible. Should take my pickups the next time.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Second open mic
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 08:06:23 am »
Well done Bala - you've only gone and done it again.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I'm just listening now as I type.

If you're playing through a pa, unless you know there is a vocal mic and a separate, suitable mic for your guitar, and a great sound guy working the desk to balance, always plug in and go direct to the mixer desk.

Whether that be a guitar with electrics on-board or a soundhole pickup.

Yesterday seemed to go pretty well.

You definitely set yourself some ambitious songs to perform.

Maybe think about that next time.
One easy confidence builder to get you in to it and warm your fingers and vocals, one requiring a bit more dexterity as a showcase, and one to do as you please - or maybe as a crowd pleaser.
It's difficult to play only difficult songs when stepping up cold.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave - seemed okay too - a little hesitant in places perhaps.

Love Of My Life - ooh I have always wanted to be able to play that and maybe I should take some inspiration from you and give it a crack.

:)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 08:19:58 am »
Well done Bala - you've only gone and done it again.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I'm just listening now as I type.

If you're playing through a pa, unless you know there is a vocal mic and a separate, suitable mic for your guitar, and a great sound guy working the desk to balance, always plug in and go direct to the mixer desk.

Whether that be a guitar with electrics on-board or a soundhole pickup.

Yesterday seemed to go pretty well.

You definitely set yourself some ambitious songs to perform.

Maybe think about that next time.
One easy confidence builder to get you in to it and warm your fingers and vocals, one requiring a bit more dexterity as a showcase, and one to do as you please - or maybe as a crowd pleaser.
It's difficult to play only difficult songs when stepping up cold.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave - seemed okay too - a little hesitant in places perhaps.

Love Of My Life - ooh I have always wanted to be able to play that and maybe I should take some inspiration from you and give it a crack.

:)

Thank you for the listen and feedback Close!

I think the place had a mixer of some sort. I should’ve worked on the mic position myself a little bit before starting. But lesson learnt! I will definitely take my soundhole pickups the next time. :)

As ambitious as they sound I play Yesterday and Babe I’m gonna leave you a lot at home. Love of my life was added only because my friends who came to support were huge Queen fans and my girlfriend loves that song. I just practiced a simple version of the song close to their late live stuff. I kind of wanted to challenge myself this time. Probably went a little overboard. 😅

I will create a better playlist next time based on your strategy!

Talking about playlist... did it sound too slow? Should perhaps consider faster songs to entertain the crowd? My plan this time was to actually keep it mellow and go fingerstyle all the way. But my sister felt that the playlist though has amazing songs could bore crowds due to the consistently slow tempo.

P.S: I’d definitely like to hear you do Love of my life sometime! :)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 08:24:51 am »
Congrats, Bala, really pleased for you.

Personally, I think you did a fair job on all of them.  As Richard said, the second two were both pretty challenging, both playing and singing.

Generally I think if I'd been in the audience and didn't know you I'd have been well impressed with the level of songs and the quality of the performances, darn good for somebody getting into live performing through an Open Mic.

As you say, it is a journey to become comfortable and relaxed performing live to deliver a performance that matches what you do at home when nobody (either a person or a camera) is watching.

In terms of feedback, have you contemplated using a capo on the Queen song?  Perhaps there is a sweet spot that can make the song more comfortable for you.  Though of course singing a song like this with such range and feel is a huge ask, Mercury being the singer he was.

Like Richard, I'd love to be able to play that and Babe for that matter ... give enough time, maybe I'll get there. Though not sure about singing either of those ... ever :)

Three cheers

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 08:42:42 am »
Congrats, Bala, really pleased for you.

Personally, I think you did a fair job on all of them.  As Richard said, the second two were both pretty challenging, both playing and singing.

Generally I think if I'd been in the audience and didn't know you I'd have been well impressed with the level of songs and the quality of the performances, darn good for somebody getting into live performing through an Open Mic.

As you say, it is a journey to become comfortable and relaxed performing live to deliver a performance that matches what you do at home when nobody (either a person or a camera) is watching.

In terms of feedback, have you contemplated using a capo on the Queen song?  Perhaps there is a sweet spot that can make the song more comfortable for you.  Though of course singing a song like this with such range and feel is a huge ask, Mercury being the singer he was.

Like Richard, I'd love to be able to play that and Babe for that matter ... give enough time, maybe I'll get there. Though not sure about singing either of those ... ever :)

Three cheers

Thank you for the kind words David. True what you said about live performances vs what I play at home. I guess no matter how cool I thought I was, the nervousness was surely there subconsciously and just one mistake could just shatter all that confidence that you go with. Just have to keep pushing through though! Maybe in a few more performances, I can get all that confidence that I seek! :)

As for the Queen song, Freddie surely is a tough guy to cover. Even his later songs which were lower can be challenging sometimes. I was thinking about going a half step or a full step down but later decided to stick with the key since I got feedback that I was okay. Should consider a different key for the future maybe. I'm also still working on finding the vocal classes. So maybe that could help me choose my keys better.

Justin has/had an amazing lesson for Babe that I think you can/should check out with your ability now. I learnt it as a beginner actually. Just one barre chord in there. Love of my life can be done as a simple song too and I think you can learn it as well. Of course the difficulty shoots up miles if you want to play it exactly like Brian May. But a simple version just has open chords mostly. Singing on the other hand... Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury are intimidating names to me. But I find it fun to try :)

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 02:43:14 pm »
Kudos on the open mic Bala. That was a really entertaining performance regardless of any blips along the way. What does Justin say, if it sounds good it is good? Well my dude, that was good to my ears.

I particularly liked the Zeppelin cover but I'm biased as they are probably my all time favorite band.

It's cool following your musical journey and I look forward to more.
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 03:00:06 pm »
Kudos on the open mic Bala. That was a really entertaining performance regardless of any blips along the way. What does Justin say, if it sounds good it is good? Well my dude, that was good to my ears.

I particularly liked the Zeppelin cover but I'm biased as they are probably my all time favorite band.

It's cool following your musical journey and I look forward to more.

Thank you Pilgrim. True what Justin says. I was unhappy as I was able to spot my own mistakes. However, I listened to it as any random spectator today and it wasn’t all that bad. In fact some might feel that was good. Besides, I can’t redo it now but I can learn :) I’ll apply the thing I’ve learnt to my next gig :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App